Sponsored

"Drive Mode Selection Unavailable?"

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I've started to get this message, usually along with "Exhaust Mode Selection Unavailable," randomly when I first start the car. This evening, after getting that message and stopped at a light, I shut the car off, waited 5 seconds, and started it back up. Issue gone, all systems normal.

At first I thought it was weather-related (it's pretty cold but not below freezing today), but that does not seem to be the case as it also happened when I started it up in a 60 degree garage.

Anyone else seeing this? Maybe I've discovered a bug in the electronics.:shrug:
Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
according to some user, his exhaust valve got stuck, can't close or open, thus the mode switch was not available.

could be due to the metal used, different expansion rate.

I've started to get this message, usually along with "Exhaust Mode Selection Unavailable," randomly when I first start the car. This evening, after getting that message and stopped at a light, I shut the car off, waited 5 seconds, and started it back up. Issue gone, all systems normal.

At first I thought it was weather-related (it's pretty cold but not below freezing today), but that does not seem to be the case as it also happened when I started it up in a 60 degree garage.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
also for the future, small road rocks could get stuck preventing the valves from closing too

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)

I had this happening to me about 700 miles after I got the car. Bring the car to the dealer, one of the exhaust flaps isn't correctly finding home position and needs the remote mounted motor reset.

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear: The "Drive Mode Selection Unavailable" warning is directly caused by the exhaust flap malfunction?

Sponsored

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
I believe that is one cause for the drive modes to be unavailable there could be others that we don't know about yet

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I haven't received any messages on mine, but I did notice a slight delay sometimes when I change the exhaust mode. As if it were sticking. I plan to keep an eye on this issue.

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear: The "Drive Mode Selection Unavailable" warning is directly caused by the exhaust flap malfunction?
Yes. The drive modes are hard coded to the exhaust. If the Exhaust is not actuating it can not move from one state (mode) to another.

Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
will owners still be able to swap factory exhaust for after-market?

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
will owners still be able to swap factory exhaust for after-market?
I disconnected the exhaust valves to see if I could trick the system into keeping them open and they stayed open, BUT I lost the ability to change drive modes. So without some sort of emulator that tricks the system into thinking the valves are still connected, I don't see how aftermarket exhausts are going to work.

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the one thing I don't understand: Why does this problem correct itself if I shut off the engine, wait 5 seconds, and turn it back on? This is without giving anything a chance to warm up. Does the act of shutting the car off physically reset whatever flap is getting hung up?

This is a very random, and very annoying, issue.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It may or may not, but it likely does reset the ECUs routine to find the home position of the motors.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Part of startup is to cycle the valves open then back to closed. You can hear it pretty plainly on ignition.
Sponsored