ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
It's really strange, but the exhaust valves are definitely tied into the driving modes. The factory valves must be installed correctly into a muffler (either stock or aftermerket). When the car is first started the valves open and close. One of the computers (either the PCM, BCM or some other computer) must see the valve open and close to enable the selectable drive modes. You can not simply plug the valve in without it being installed correctly. The valve has to find and finish both ends of the "cycle". Just plugging the valve in will cause it to constantly rotate one direction looking for the hard stop.
Sponsored

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Just took delivery of my GT350... ...in the UK. And now my exhaust mode is acting up. Tells me the drive modes and the exhaust modes are unavailable. It's about 50/50 of it happening since I have been driving. Right now it's not working. This was after a 30 min drive where I used sport mode for a part of it. So temps were up to normal operating levels.

Anyone that have this going on figure out the fix? Obviously, the dealer option is not available for me. It is, but all warranty claims are supposed to go to a local shop, not a Ford dealer.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Sounds like defective exhaust flap motor(s) to me.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Have you checked for a small stone or piece of road debris blocking the full function of the flap? Somebody here had that problem. That's why the large holes in the bottom of the exhaust finishers are called "pebble ports" - to let out the stones thrown up by the tires.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
FYI, if you unplug the pigtail that connects the exhaust actuator motor from the main harness, you will be able to switch driving modes again. ( obviously if you unplug it and leave it unplugged, the valves stay closed, but the rest of the "tuning" will be applied)

I found that on my driver's side, one of the wires was crimped WAY too hard and the wire was actually broken inside the plug. This led to the driving modes not available message intermittently.

I'm waiting for the replacement part to come ( it is 12.38 for the passenger side and 13.28 for the driver's side.

The part numbers are:

FR3Z14A411J

FR3Z14A411H

for the two pigtails. IIRC the H part number is the driver's side.

I just ordered the part instead of wasting time with a warranty claim for 13 bucks.

hope this helps!

Sponsored

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Thanks all. I will be driving a bit tomorrow. 400 plus miles to finish my initial break in before an oil change. Will see how it behaves. In the mean time, I ordered those pigtails - thanks zombiekiller. I'll double check rocks tomorrow before the trip and maybe unplug and plug in the pigtails if it doesn't work right away.

Thanks again. Being in the UK, I am over-sensitive about potential issues since any little issue can keep me from driving.. And I have been waiting since August. Glad it's here now. I'll check back tomorrow and let everyone know how it's working.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I noticed one thing is it won't let you switch modes in reverse. I always back out of my garage and I was trying to switch drive modes after shifting it into reverse. Took me a bit to figure out. lol

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I did 250 plus miles today, a few starts and stops and the drive modes did not come back. Being back at home, I unplugged and replugged the pigtails to the exhaust valves and that reset them. It's working now. I suspect this is a temporary measure and they may go out again. I will be driving it to work tomorrow to test it. We shall see. If it comes back, I have replacement pigtails on the way. Plus a set of magnaflow catbacks in the garage, but I wasn't going to put them on right away. I might have to if this keeps up.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I did 250 plus miles today, a few starts and stops and the drive modes did not come back. Being back at home, I unplugged and replugged the pigtails to the exhaust valves and that reset them. It's working now. I suspect this is a temporary measure and they may go out again. I will be driving it to work tomorrow to test it. We shall see. If it comes back, I have replacement pigtails on the way. Plus a set of magnaflow catbacks in the garage, but I wasn't going to put them on right away. I might have to if this keeps up.
Thanks jerkstore for the update. Mine stuck a couple of times but hasn't done it in the last 1000 miles or so. I would be very interested in how you end up resolving this issue. Please keep us posted.

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
No dice. It was working at first, but then it stopped. I don't know if they closed themselves, but my drive mode selection unavailable (DMSU). The Exhaust mode said it was in Sport, but it didn't sound like it. Did a restart after parking and still no dice. Tonight after work, I will unplug them once again. If this doesn't work, I might have to take it to the garage for warranty work. Not that they will know, but maybe I can get some new actuators.

Anyone know the part number for the actuators? Can you get them separate of the exhaust?

Sponsored

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
So, I can unplug the pigtail and replug it when the car is off, then on startup, I get the modes back. Eventually it turns off. Maybe the pigtails or the actuators. I will have to get it on a lift and remove the rear belly pan. for better access to check. I am thinking I will have to try and get this looked at under warranty. I might give Ford Performance a call and see if they have a trick...

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
No dice. It was working at first, but then it stopped. I don't know if they closed themselves, but my drive mode selection unavailable (DMSU). The Exhaust mode said it was in Sport, but it didn't sound like it. Did a restart after parking and still no dice. Tonight after work, I will unplug them once again. If this doesn't work, I might have to take it to the garage for warranty work. Not that they will know, but maybe I can get some new actuators.

Anyone know the part number for the actuators? Can you get them separate of the exhaust?
you can get them separately. I don't have the part number though.

I'm replacing my pigtail first. If that doesn't work, then i'll move on to getting the actuator replaced under warranty.

Bob S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Package
This started happening intermittently on my car when I got about 800 miles on it. Now, I'm up to 1900 miles, and it seems to be happening more frequently (shutting the car off and then restarting it has fixed it to date). For someone that has had this repaired, does the car store an error code when it happens?

jerkstore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
No code that I know of.

Mine sort of fixed itself. I kept unplugging the exhaust pigtail and replugging. I eventually didn't have to do it anymore. I think the loose or messed up pigtail seated correctly eventually and I am good to go. When/if I switch exhausts I'll take a closer look. I did buy another set of pigtails for insurance.

If it's happening to your car, take it to a dealer. I am in England, so I didn't have the option.

This started happening intermittently on my car when I got about 800 miles on it. Now, I'm up to 1900 miles, and it seems to be happening more frequently (shutting the car off and then restarting it has fixed it to date). For someone that has had this repaired, does the car store an error code when it happens?

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
OP here. Wanted to provide an update.

Dealer just replaced the entire cat-back system, per Ford direction (for warranty purposes). While I don't get dash error messages, I remain convinced that the valves are not operating correctly in "normal" mode. It switches freely between modes, but in normal mode, it is quieter than my wife's C300 Benz. :eyebulge:

I know I'm not crazy...the car was not like this for the first 1000 miles. Normal mode was quieter, but not embarrassingly quiet, as it is now. The valves only seem to open under full- or near-full-throttle. It is supposed to be linear, not all-or-nothing.

My next step is to ask my dealer, who has a GT350 in stock, to start them both up and rev them side by side. If they sound the same, then I guess I am crazy/paranoid.

If there are any GT350 owners in the DC/NoVA area that would be willing to compare sounds, PLEASE let me know!
Sponsored