Different take on a modded engine cover

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I did the same as the OP. Definitely looks better than the whole cover. I like it :)
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I wanted to show the intake runners and keep the stock mounting but cover some of the clutter on the sides. There may be no great solutions but almost anything is better than what Ford gave us. Are today's auto manufacturers ashamed to show their engines?
mustang_cover_final_20190707_113444_resized.jpg

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Here's my contribution. Nothing major but gets rid of the big wings and the mounting points that use the studs/nuts.

20230924_191129.jpg
20230924_190435.jpg

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
I wanted to show the intake runners and keep the stock mounting but cover some of the clutter on the sides. There may be no great solutions but almost anything is better than what Ford gave us. Are today's auto manufacturers ashamed to show their engines?
mustang_cover_final_20190707_113444_resized.jpg
That looks sharp. Can you tell me more on the process to make it look like that? I’d like to do the same with my cover only I would plan to use red accent color (I’ve got a dark gray stang). I need to find a red strut tower brace too.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
That was one of the first things I did. The 18+ engine cover is just too much.

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I had been tempted to remove the pizza pan as well. I modded it to make it look better to, but even then considered removing it, as it is a bit ominous. However...once I put a GT 500 style hood on, and don't use a rain guard, the pizza pan protects all the electrical components below. So I've come to terms with the result.
Mustang (53).jpg

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just started taping mine up to add an accent color to the cover - similar to what @boB did only for now I’ve decided not to cut away any of the cover.

@Snakebyte - tell us what you did to add the mesh. That looks pretty cool. Is that actually a hole under the mesh or did you put the mesh on top of the plastic cover?

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I just started taping mine up to add an accent color to the cover - similar to what @boB did only for now I’ve decided not to cut away any of the cover.

@Snakebyte - tell us what you did to add the mesh. That looks pretty cool. Is that actually a hole under the mesh or did you put the mesh on top of the plastic cover?
To keep from having rain drain down into my water-sensitive components (due to hood heat extractor) I did not cut out the openings. A person with great Dremel /other tool skills could do that, and then secure the mesh from the bottom.

Anyway, as for the mesh, I purchased aluminum honeycomb material from CustomCarGrills (via Amazon). I applied black sealant in the recesses and then placed mesh I pre-cut/formed into the recesses. After waiting about 30 minutes I used paint thinner on a rag to even up the surface exposing the mesh as desired.
The aluminum mesh is very easy to cut and form. I used the same material for my heat extractor to minimize insects making a home in my engine bay.

Side note: CustomCarGrills has a website that sells kits to put the honeycomb material in the front grill. https://www.customcargrills.com/Custom-Ford-Mustang-Grills.asp

Hood-up View of Heat Extractors with Honeycomb Installed.jpg

Sponsored

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before:
IMG_3199.jpeg

After:
IMG_3473.jpeg

This will do until I get a race-red coated roush supercharger lol