Sponsored

Did someone throw shade at you because you're a twenty-something?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm obviously excluded from this argument since it's "just a GT". But I'm 26 now. I bought the car at 25. While not a Shelby, it's still a 36k dollar MSRP car. Certainly not common for a 20 something to buy, less own.

I have a very nice home with my girlfriend. I pay for all of my own bills. Worked thru college and graduated. Worked to get the very good job I have now. I own a truck also, and lots of toys. I also help support my girlfriend while she finishes her schooling.

Never once did I ever get "handed" anything. Dad "handed" me the tools I needed to success and said "Learn how to be a man. Build your own fortune. Work hard, play harder. Figure it out on your own. I'm here if you need me but I know you won't need the help". That was it. I've been doing my own thing since 18.

While I agree my generation is lazy and dependent to a point, you also have to remember the world they come in to. Home prices have inflated beyond affordable for the average person. If you don't make more than 90k per year (couple or single), you aren't buying shit where I live. You will be buying in the ghetto. It also makes it difficult for any of the younger people to move out when rent is pretty consistently 1100+ for a single bedroom here. Funny thing is those homes and apartment complexes are owned by 40+ year old's. All of which like to call us "lazy".

Life is much more expensive for us than it was for you historically. We didn't have the opportunity to ride the housing bubble and make thousands. We get to buy after when it's like breaking into fort knoxx to purchase a home for less than 200k. I'm just tired of being assumed as a "lazy 20 year old spoon fed by daddy and mommy". When I drive the car I get the same bull shit. Doesn't help I look more early 20's rather than older.
We were talking 50k + cars, not GT's or Hyundai or Camry's .... sorry :gossip:
Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
We were talking 50k + cars, not GT's or Hyundai or Camry's .... sorry :gossip:
You're fine. I can afford one. I would just rather be able to buy a house in two years rather than 5. Financial responsibility and what not :thumbsup:

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
You're fine. I can afford one. I would just rather be able to buy a house in two years rather than 5. Financial responsibility and what not :thumbsup:
I was just messing with you :) Well done, good thinking :)

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
While I agree my generation is lazy and dependent to a point, you also have to remember the world they come in to. Home prices have inflated beyond affordable for the average person. If you don't make more than 90k per year (couple or single), you aren't buying shit where I live. You will be buying in the ghetto. It also makes it difficult for any of the younger people to move out when rent is pretty consistently 1100+ for a single bedroom here. Funny thing is those homes and apartment complexes are owned by 40+ year old's. All of which like to call us "lazy".
Nail on the head man. How many millennials do you see renting apartment complexes or even basic apartments? Where I live if you can get an apartment for less than $1200 a month it is a "good deal" with only 1-2 bedrooms TOPS. A piece of land where I'm too, even worse. Over $100K just for a lot now so that you can build a house... basic small houses are well over the $300K mark, with a nice house that you'd actually want to live in being $450K plus if you want to buy. Pretty much why I refuse to buy and am going to build a house myself and save several hundred thousand lol

But it is right what you said, the older generation call us lazy, but because of their ill-guided decisions in the past, our economy is now in one of the worst states its ever been, the cost of living and housing is astronomically high, and to make matters worse the working wages haven't increased proportionally to the increase in costs AT ALL. It is WAY harder for a single individual on an average salary to even SURVIVE in today's world, let alone live comfortably.

It's like being handed piles of burning shit and being expected to be able to juggle it like a pro, and then criticized when we can't.. :lol: :crazy: :headbonk:

HI_OFFCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
24 when I signed on the dotted line, 25 now. My wife is 22 and co-owns the car. Does that make her the youngest GT350 "owner" on the forum? lol

Sponsored

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Nail on the head man. How many millennials do you see renting apartment complexes or even basic apartments? Where I live if you can get an apartment for less than $1200 a month it is a "good deal" with only 1-2 bedrooms TOPS. A piece of land where I'm too, even worse. Over $100K just for a lot now so that you can build a house... basic small houses are well over the $300K mark, with a nice house that you'd actually want to live in being $450K plus if you want to buy. Pretty much why I refuse to buy and am going to build a house myself and save several hundred thousand lol

But it is right what you said, the older generation call us lazy, but because of their ill-guided decisions in the past, our economy is now in one of the worst states its ever been, the cost of living and housing is astronomically high, and to make matters worse the working wages haven't increased proportionally to the increase in costs AT ALL. It is WAY harder for a single individual on an average salary to even SURVIVE in today's world, let alone live comfortably.

It's like being handed piles of burning shit and being expected to be able to juggle it like a pro, and then criticized when we can't.. :lol: :crazy: :headbonk:

Those are Canadian dollars I'm assuming? :D Those seem crazy high to be American dollars unless its downtown in a major city.

I just turned 24, bought a house with my fiancee and a month later bought a used 2015 Ecoboost. Granted nowhere near the same level as a GT350, but still proud of what I have worked for nonetheless. My goal over the next few years is to be in a GT350 as my 2nd car before I'm 30. Guess I better get back to work :lol:

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Those are Canadian dollars I'm assuming? :D Those seem crazy high to be American dollars unless its downtown in a major city.

I just turned 24, bought a house with my fiancee and a month later bought a used 2015 Ecoboost. Granted nowhere near the same level as a GT350, but still proud of what I have worked for nonetheless. My goal over the next few years is to be in a GT350 as my 2nd car before I'm 30. Guess I better get back to work :lol:
Definitely Canadian. Family lives outside of Toronto. It's crazy money there.

Even still, my area you're talking high 100's to get into a 900-1000 sq ft home on .2 acres. You're 14 miles out of downtown. And it's not in a super great area (it's decent). The best areas average 250-400k. If you want to live downtown, you need to bring 750k+ to live on the fringes. A million to live in the heart.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

*drops the mic*

While I fully agree there are tons of entitled/lazy/useless millennials, all of the above is spot on and means the hardworking/smart/ millennials have to work that much harder for a much smaller piece of the pie.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Life is much more expensive for us than it was for you historically.
Yes - houses and cars cost more now. However, you also make more. When I got out of college and got my first engineering job, it paid me $24k per year.

I bet you make a little more.

Sponsored

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Yes - houses and cars cost more now. However, you also make more. When I got out of college and got my first engineering job, it paid me $24k per year.

I bet you make a little more.
You are correct that we make more, however inflation has increased significantly more than wages have. Look at the graph on this page

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2015/november/relationship-between-wage-growth-inflation

It clearly shows how stagnant the wage growth has been compared to the inflation growth. So please do not use that argument.
wages.png

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
I'll call partial bullshit on this one.

Cost of living has gone up I'll agree on that...but I'll say NOT way harder for a single individual to live on a average salary. It's called living within your means.

You can easily survive, eat well, and have a place to live making 25-30k a year. Hell, I know guys in their 40s who survive just fine and they make jack shit.

What the real reality is younger people want everything now. They graduate college or start working and instantly want to be making 50+k a year with zero experience. They like to spend money they don't have... AKA live on credit.

Things any single person can do to live cheaply:

1) Buy a used car that runs and drives good. Easily sub 10k - And learn how to fix it yourself if it needs repairs.

2) Have a cheap cell phone.... no need for a $800 iphone 7 with $80 per month fees.

3) Being single, get a room mate, unless you're a complete douche.... I'm sure you have someone you can live with. For god sake get out of your parents house! Don't be a slacker!

4) Don't rack up credit cards!! If you don't have the money for something DON'T BUY IT. PERIOD. - You know how many people go into crazy debt..... completely DUMB.

5) How about this concept? = Save your money! Get a 401k going, open a savings account.

And if anyone tells me you can't do the above....I've lived it. Mommy and Daddy didn't pay my way. I left home at 18 and worked full time making $9 bucks an hour and moved up the salary/job ladder from there. I paid for my own education, got my own jobs, and didn't look for any hand outs from anyone.

School of hard knocks teaches you how to survive.... more kids now a days needs to try that out for size. You learn real quick. :D

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
One of my coworkers has a brother who bought his 16 year old a 17 GT350. The kid has put 1200 miles on it in 4 months because he wants it to be worth something when he's old. That makes me so mad on so many counts.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You are correct that we make more, however inflation has increased significantly more than wages have. Look at the graph on this page

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2015/november/relationship-between-wage-growth-inflation

It clearly shows how stagnant the wage growth has been compared to the inflation growth. So please do not use that argument.
Not to mention inflation typically only factors in consumed goods, not housing prices. The true average cost of living once you factor in housing (rent or home buying) has increased at a staggering rate compared to wage increases over the last 15-20 years.
Sponsored