Sponsored

Did someone throw shade at you because you're a twenty-something?

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Black on Black
True that.

I'm not complaining to anyone about my state of life. I've made my own home and life with my two hands. I consider myself very fortunate.

My only point is that while yes, I make more than you did, my salary is really only double what you made at my age. Which is great. Except home prices and the cost of living is more like quadruple what it was for you. Nor did college cost the kind of money it does now. Nor was college practically demanded of you to make decent money...

So while yes, life can be made of your own accord, it's much more expensive now for us than it was for you. Facts and hard numbers prove that as made evident by other posts. Whoever said 25-30k a year can let you live on your own "comfortably" never tried it. You'll be living on a shoe string budget and one bad moment will ruin your life. In my city a room for rent is 400-600. Add in insurance, taxes, gas, food, cell phone (its mandatory to have one anymore), clothes, car maintenance, etc. it's not "easy" to live off a bring home of 1500-1900. You know how I know? That's what I used to bring home. That's what my girlfriend brings home every month now. I see her struggle.

Paycheck to paycheck is no way to live comfortably so I don't blame kids my age staying at home. Calling anyone "Self-entitled" for not wanting to struggle, stress, and be miserable is stupid.
I don't blame them either.

And everyone had different circumstances. I tried to live at home after school. I lasted 8 months before I had a break down. I had to get out of the house.

My problem with kids living at home is when they live like kings and spend a fortune and buy nice cars.

IMHO, depending on circumstance, is someone is living at home, it is time to save up for the future and build a foundation for an easier life. It is not time to live it up because you are making a couple of bucks and have no expenses.

But I think I am now off topic. Which I sometimes do....:headbonk:
Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I don't blame them either.

And everyone had different circumstances. I tried to live at home after school. I lasted 8 months before I had a break down. I had to get out of the house.

My problem with kids living at home is when they live like kings and spend a fortune and buy nice cars.

IMHO, depending on circumstance, is someone is living at home, it is time to save up for the future and build a foundation for an easier life. It is not time to live it up because you are making a couple of bucks and have no expenses.

But I think I am now off topic. Which I sometimes do....:headbonk:
You have a problem with other people's kids and their parents and how they decide to spend their money?

More power to you, i have so many problems in my own life that i don't have time to take on someone else's problems too.

At the end of the day i think what this comes down to is that when things that we work hard for look like they come easily to others it is frustrating but it shouldn't, it doesn't take away from your own accomplishments.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Work is definitely harder for millennials to get now days especially good paying gigs. We have four millenials in my group and they are all kids of somebody that works higher up in the company. Nepotism is really bad in the O&G industry but I think they work about as hard as anyone else. Especially nowdays that like half the people have been laid off. All that's left here are the hustlers.

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
You have a problem with other people's kids and their parents and how they decide to spend their money?

More power to you, i have so many problems in my own life that i don't have time to take on someone else's problems too.

At the end of the day i think what this comes down to is that when things that we work hard for look like they come easily to others it is frustrating but it shouldn't, it doesn't take away from your own accomplishments.
well, no... actually i have no problem with it. thank you for pointing out my poor choice of words. :cheers:

in correction, it think they are idiots if they are living at home in order to save money and then in turn go and spend it on luxuries that they don't need, instead of working towards setting a foundation for a better life.

and then i simply find them to be whiny babies, with no substance or platform to whine upon, when they complain that it is so much tougher in todays day than it was for other generations.

someone living at home, saving money, then getting out there, on their own, to make their own way? nothing but respect.

on the flip side, someone living at home, not saving anything and buying something like a GT350....yeah, thats basically where the reputation of 20 somethings today comes from.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well, no... actually i have no problem with it. thank you for pointing out my poor choice of words. :cheers:

in correction, it think they are idiots if they are living at home in order to save money and then in turn go and spend it on luxuries that they don't need, instead of working towards setting a foundation for a better life.

and then i simply find them to be whiny babies, with no substance or platform to whine upon, when they complain that it is so much tougher in todays day than it was for other generations.

someone living at home, saving money, then getting out there, on their own, to make their own way? nothing but respect.

on the flip side, someone living at home, not saving anything and buying something like a GT350....yeah, thats basically where the reputation of 20 somethings today comes from.
Unfortunately a generation complaining that they have it harder than their parents is not something exclusive to millennials. They aren't the first generation to do it and they won't be the last

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is true. However, previous generations at least knew which bathroom to use.

:)

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is true. However, previous generations at least knew which bathroom to use.

:)
You got me there.... i guess all i can say is that Rupaul and "Caitlyn" Jenner aren't my age!:lol:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Lots of interesting responses here. 42 here and my 350 is mostly just a garage queen. Not that I don't love it, nor am I afraid to drive it. I just love being in the RRS and with a recent back surgery the conditions have not been conducive.

When I was in my 20's I was driving a ridiculously beat up Oldsmobile Bravada. I drove it until a tractor trailer showed me how unhappy he was that I was trying to merge into his lane.

People will always whine and complain at someone else. If they don't have a reason, they will find one. It is part of life. Shade is always thrown by people that simply are not happy with their own damn selves.

I drink, I smoke (not really), I go out to restaurants 6 nights a week. I am going to the Bahamas in two weeks and Turks and Caicos in January.

My wife is way hotter than I deserve, teaches spin and yoga, and is 10 years younger than me.

Damn, I am living the dream.....

And people "throw shade" all the time. It is part of the game.
U'mmm can I like have your life? lmao good for you man, seriously. I don't take away anything from anyone who has nice things or a nice life. More power to them for achieving those things, and if they weren't achieved, then lucky them!

Before i start i will say that i am 35, an engineer, married one child, i don't own my own house but only because my career has moved me around north america every 2 years for the past 10 years. I am a Sr. Director for a very large global company and if you add them all up i have had over 150 people reporting into me at one time or another in my career, these people were young (straight out of school), older (2 years from retirement) and everywhere in between, female, male, and a bunch of different races. What i have come to realize is that the entitlement that is spoken of in this thread is not age dependent, it is dependent on that individual. Young people who think they should be managers making 100 grand after a year or two and have delivered nothing to make themselves stand out, and the 55 year old who thinks they should be made a manager because they have the most seniority but show up at 8 and leave at 5 every day and won't work an extra minute or demonstrate any leadership skills. The entitlement really comes from how people were raised and the values and work ethic instilled in them. For the baby boomers here pointing at 20 somethings and blaming them i suggest looking at yourselves as these are your children, your nieces and nephews, your grand children. These kids didn't raise themselves to be entitled, they are that way because your generation has instilled that value.

Last point i will make, as parents are goal is always to give our kids a better life than what we had. Its a bit ironic that we all want our kids to have this, but when they have it and they own nicer cars than we did at that age, the first thing we want to say is that they are spoiled and entitled and don't deserve it.
100% man; like I said earlier in the thread, it boils down to parenting. Depending on how you are raised will largely determine what kind of person you are, your attitude, your appreciation of things, work ethic, motivation, etc.

Your last line is gold, but in reality, those who really work hard to give their kids a better life, are the ones who are happy for us when we succeed. Those who complain about us, probably didn't put as much effort into working for their kids/family because the same maybe wasn't or couldn't be done for them by their own parents, so they have the attitude the kids can do it all on their own.

Trying not to be paranoid, but hoping you aren't referring to me here :p

Yes I bought a 350R, yes I live at home, but I could move out tomorrow and buy a house if I wanted. I'm making a conscious decision to stay and save my money and build a home myself rather than buying; unfortunately building a home takes a lot longer than moving into one already built. My parents also support this as well, they know that I'll be much better off building rather than buying. And after my father was diagnosed with cancer, it opened all of our eyes in regards to how fragile life can be and how things can go south in an instant. I could have not traded in my previous car, or bought my R, and just saved my money and bought something else farther down the road. But I can easily afford it and save for a house at the same time, and that "down the road" time period is never guaranteed.

I don't support the whole stupid "YOLO" lifestyle, but I certainly plan to enjoy what I can that is within my means. Last thing I want in life is to wake up one morning when I'm old and retired and have regrets about Not doing something I dreamed of.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, because a real conversation about life rather than another thread capturing the incessant crying about panel gaps and coolers and Ford customer service is SOOO cringe worthy :lol:
Don't think I would call it cringe worthy. Just more of your stereotypical, opinionated internet squabble.

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
U'mmm can I like have your life? lmao good for you man, seriously. I don't take away anything from anyone who has nice things or a nice life. More power to them for achieving those things, and if they weren't achieved, then lucky them!

100% man; like I said earlier in the thread, it boils down to parenting. Depending on how you are raised will largely determine what kind of person you are, your attitude, your appreciation of things, work ethic, motivation, etc.

Your last line is gold, but in reality, those who really work hard to give their kids a better life, are the ones who are happy for us when we succeed. Those who complain about us, probably didn't put as much effort into working for their kids/family because the same maybe wasn't or couldn't be done for them by their own parents, so they have the attitude the kids can do it all on their own.

Trying not to be paranoid, but hoping you aren't referring to me here :p

Yes I bought a 350R, yes I live at home, but I could move out tomorrow and buy a house if I wanted. I'm making a conscious decision to stay and save my money and build a home myself rather than buying; unfortunately building a home takes a lot longer than moving into one already built. My parents also support this as well, they know that I'll be much better off building rather than buying. And after my father was diagnosed with cancer, it opened all of our eyes in regards to how fragile life can be and how things can go south in an instant. I could have not traded in my previous car, or bought my R, and just saved my money and bought something else farther down the road. But I can easily afford it and save for a house at the same time, and that "down the road" time period is never guaranteed.

I don't support the whole stupid "YOLO" lifestyle, but I certainly plan to enjoy what I can that is within my means. Last thing I want in life is to wake up one morning when I'm old and retired and have regrets about Not doing something I dreamed of.

Ha. No. Def not talking about you. You and I have actually had this conversation before. And you are one of the apparent few that (imho) is doing it the exact right way.

An exceptional amount of respect for you actually.

Making money, saving and spending. I am all for the balance. The imbalance I see is when someone is living at home, not saving and still spending.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Ha. No. Def not talking about you. You and I have actually had this conversation before. And you are one of the apparent few that (imho) is doing it the exact right way.

An exceptional amount of respect for you actually.

Making money, saving and spending. I am all for the balance. The imbalance I see is when someone is living at home, not saving and still spending.
Thank you, that means a lot. A good balance is key as you said, but I do know of several people my age who are as you described, still living at home with no real plans for the future other than the moment they're currently in. Going nowhere fast as the saying goes :lol:

If I can be in any way near the shape you're in now in regards to how life is going when I'm your age, I will consider it to be a great success! Minus the 10 years younger wife part, I can't stop my fiancee from aging unfortunately and I'd like to hang on to her for, I dunno, say, the rest of my life :D

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
24 here. Could have bought a GT350, but wanted something with a little more power so i bought a GT and put a blower, wheels, etc on it. Work 60-65 hours a week and go to school.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Somebody please delete this thread!!!:frusty::shrug::doh:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Somebody please delete this thread!!!:frusty::shrug::doh:
What's the matter? The thread has stayed on topic, and is a simple debate/discussion. Nobody forcing you to read it brother :thumbsup:

We can talk about something OTHER than the car itself sometimes ya know ;)