Sponsored

December 2015 Sales & 2015 Year End Totals

505STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0
They're both good cars and each will sell with their respective fans. I personally don't care much for the Camaro but you can't deny its not a true pony car and has performance equal to the Mustang. Mustang has longevity on its side, 51 years of continuous production as opposed to Camaro. It has a racing pedigree unmatched in automotive history to any of the cars in its class. Our 6g cars are probably the best ever built. HP, NVH, and ride are far and away superior to anything that's come before it. This car is livable performance with the ability to please the casual fan or hardcore enthusiast. A few bolt-ons or a tune can net serious power gains. I hate to be the "can't we all just get along" guy, but that's really what should happen here. Don't like Camaro? Don't buy one but don't put people down for wanting to own one and vice-versa.
Its a nice car for sure, but folks this is a Mustang enthusiast forum not a random car enthusiast forum. I like certain sports teams, I like certain brands over others. We should have the freedom to talk negatively about the competition without others coming in and saying you not a car guy. I am a car guy i just happen to like Ford. Call me a fanboy i don't give a fu$$. We are all Fanboys of something.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Its a nice car for sure, but folks this is a Mustang enthusiast forum not a random car enthusiast forum. I like certain sports teams, I like certain brands over others. We should have the freedom to talk negatively about the competition without others coming in and saying you not a car guy. I am a car guy i just happen to like Ford. Call me a fanboy i don't give a fu$$. We are all Fanboys of something.
I am a fanboy of Ford and Steeda:ford:

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Has anybody seen the breakdown on trim distribution i.e. how many base PP GT's, base PP Ecoboosts were built, separated by colors etc.?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Has anybody seen the breakdown on trim distribution i.e. how many base PP GT's, base PP Ecoboosts were built, separated by colors etc.?
I cant find it anywhere for any year.
Apparently FoMoCo doesn't like to release that info about Mustangs,
All I could find are blanket statements saying the Majority of mustangs ever made were not V8s

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
+1

The camaro is the better performance car right now. The camaro and mustang swap back and forth all the time, but are usually pretty close stock vs. stock. There are only a few exceptions where one is astronomically better than the other. Why this bothers anyone is beyond me. The two cars are at different points in development, so of course when one gets updated it already has a benchmark to beat.

Based on performance alone, the camaro should dominate sales once adequate supply of the 2016 camaro has reached dealers. That isn't the only factor in buying a pony car and most people don't buy purely based off of performance numbers though. The mustang got a seriously updated look, which is attracting many new buyers. It is also a really nice car to drive around in. Lots of people buy these cars that want nothing to do with racing. The camaro didn't get a big design update. It likely won't attract anyone the 5th gen didn't attract.

Just because the camaro is selling [relatively] poorly compared to the mustang doesn't make it a bad/worse car. It just doesn't speak to the average person like the new mustang does. The price increase doesn't help either.

I see [basically] the same excuses in both camps every time sales numbers flip. It is quite entertaining. Especially when everyone tries to make apples to oranges comparisons to favor one or the other.

I look forward to seeing when/how Ford updates the performance of the mustang to answer the new camaro, but if I had the money to buy one I would have no problems buying the mustang despite being the lesser performer of the two cars at the moment.
GM or gigantic mistake already has a months worth on the lot's, try again

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I think a lot of people on here thought (and said) the raised prices would scare people off the Camaro this go round. Guess what, they were right.

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
+1

The camaro is the better performance car right now. The camaro and mustang swap back and forth all the time, but are usually pretty close stock vs. stock. There are only a few exceptions where one is astronomically better than the other. Why this bothers anyone is beyond me. The two cars are at different points in development, so of course when one gets updated it already has a benchmark to beat.

Based on performance alone, the camaro should dominate sales once adequate supply of the 2016 camaro has reached dealers. That isn't the only factor in buying a pony car and most people don't buy purely based off of performance numbers though. The mustang got a seriously updated look, which is attracting many new buyers. It is also a really nice car to drive around in. Lots of people buy these cars that want nothing to do with racing. The camaro didn't get a big design update. It likely won't attract anyone the 5th gen didn't attract.

Just because the camaro is selling [relatively] poorly compared to the mustang doesn't make it a bad/worse car. It just doesn't speak to the average person like the new mustang does. The price increase doesn't help either.

I see [basically] the same excuses in both camps every time sales numbers flip. It is quite entertaining. Especially when everyone tries to make apples to oranges comparisons to favor one or the other.

I look forward to seeing when/how Ford updates the performance of the mustang to answer the new camaro, but if I had the money to buy one I would have no problems buying the mustang despite being the lesser performer of the two cars at the moment.
What he said.

I would also add that I believe that for whatever stupid reason chevy has they got a late jump in getting the cars out there. As I recall the first S550's were landing on owners driveways at the beginning of September of 14 with Mustangs all over the lots by the beginning of October.

But the 6g Camaro didn't find it's way to owners until the beginning of December. My local dealer has but 6 on his lot. Six. Perhaps they got lost trying on those new roads they were looking for?! I would venture to GUESS that this time last year my local Ford dealer had 50-60 (maybe more) S550's on his lot(s).

Probably not going to get a good/fair measure of how the Camaro will be received until the end of February...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
What he said.

I would also add that I believe that for whatever stupid reason chevy has they got a late jump in getting the cars out there. As I recall the first S550's were landing on owners driveways at the beginning of September of 14 with Mustangs all over the lots by the beginning of October.

But the 6g Camaro didn't find it's way to owners until the beginning of December. My local dealer has but 6 on his lot. Six. Perhaps they got lost trying on those new roads they were looking for?! I would venture to GUESS that this time last year my local Ford dealer had 50-60 (maybe more) S550's on his lot(s).

Probably not going to get a good/fair measure of how the Camaro will be received until the end of February...
I see what you are saying, but you are off on the Mustang first deliveries by about a month. The first forum member [MENTION=7411]Zombie[/MENTION] received his at the end of September, with very few delivered those first two weeks. Volumes did not start arriving until November, which is also reflected in the sales stats as well, with Sept 14 (3158) and Oct 14 (4565) being relatively low and the first major bump appearing in Nov 14 (8728) and increasing in Dec 14 (9511).

But your point is still valid, though we do not have enough data yet to show if it the Camaro sales are due to a supply issue or they are just not selling. Quick search on Cars.com showed that about 25% of new Camaros available in my area (within 200 miles) are 2016 (120 out of 451) so they are out there on the lots. One would think that the MT Car of the Year award would at least get people to sit in one, though historically there has not been a guarantee of success for COTY winners.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
God I hate this bullshit argument...

If that's the case lets add in...

Cougar Sales from 67-73 and Capri sales from 79-86

Oh and we'll also add in Falcon and Comet sales from 64-69..since they were basically the Mustang with 4 doors, right?

It's Mustang Vs. Camaro...not Mustang vs Camaro/Firebird/Whatever qualifier to make the sales domination look better than the absolute ass kicking it really is
From the first page, in lifetime sales the Camaro is "behind" by over 4,000,000. But either way, I agree with your statement, and it is why I would buy a Mustang over a Camaro today (2016 vs. 2016). The Mustang already has enough power to very quickly get me arrested or severely injured on the public roads. The decision would come down to livability and intangibles, which to me favors the Mustang. Other's opinions will vary.
that is what GM get for being follower.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
that is what GM get for being follower.
In GM's defense they were in the process of creating a "Pony Car" class vehicle in the years leading up to the Mustang...but I think the huge, immediate success that the 65 Mustang had really kind of kicked their teeth in...

It's not like GM did anything revolutionary from Ford when they made the Camaro.

Ford: Hey! Lets design a sporty looking..Euro GT inspired coupe off the Falcon!...we'll call it the Mustang...

GM: Oh look at that...they did so well...lets use the...Nova...and do the same!! Let's come up with some random name that no one really knows why we chose it...I know..Camaro!

Mopar: We're going to pretend this isn't happening for another 4 years, check back with us in the fall of 1969 please.

Sponsored

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
I see what you are saying, but you are off on the Mustang first deliveries by about a month. The first forum member [MENTION=7411]Zombie[/MENTION] received his at the end of September, with very few delivered those first two weeks. Volumes did not start arriving until November, which is also reflected in the sales stats as well, with Sept 14 (3158) and Oct 14 (4565) being relatively low and the first major bump appearing in Nov 14 (8728) and increasing in Dec 14 (9511).

But your point is still valid, though we do not have enough data yet to show if it the Camaro sales are due to a supply issue or they are just not selling. Quick search on Cars.com showed that about 25% of new Camaros available in my area (within 200 miles) are 2016 (120 out of 451) so they are out there on the lots. One would think that the MT Car of the Year award would at least get people to sit in one, though historically there has not been a guarantee of success for COTY winners.
Thanks for the catch!

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
I see what you are saying, but you are off on the Mustang first deliveries by about a month. The first forum member [MENTION=7411]Zombie[/MENTION] received his at the end of September, with very few delivered those first two weeks.
Good times.. good times... and yeah, still loving it :)
Sponsored