Sponsored

December 2015 Sales & 2015 Year End Totals

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
the historical data on the Camaro is not complete. From 1966 to 2003, you should really include firebird sales numbers as part of camaro. They were basically the same car with different trim levels.

Much like challenger and charger of recent years. Same car, just 2 doors vs 4 doors.

If you wanted to really nit pick, you could add back in mercury capri numbers from 79-86 into the mustang sales.
God I hate this bullshit argument...

If that's the case lets add in...

Cougar Sales from 67-73 and Capri sales from 79-86

Oh and we'll also add in Falcon and Comet sales from 64-69..since they were basically the Mustang with 4 doors, right?

It's Mustang Vs. Camaro...not Mustang vs Camaro/Firebird/Whatever qualifier to make the sales domination look better than the absolute ass kicking it really is
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
God I hate this bullshit argument...

If that's the case lets add in...

Cougar Sales from 67-73 and Capri sales from 79-86

Oh and we'll also add in Falcon and Comet sales from 64-69..since they were basically the Mustang with 4 doors, right?

It's Mustang Vs. Camaro...not Mustang vs Camaro/Firebird/Whatever qualifier to make the sales domination look better than the absolute ass kicking it really is
And lets take Ecoboost sales out of it as well because I had an early S197 GT owner whose ass I kicked tell me it wasn't a real Mustang.

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
well how about, for the Mustang II haters add Pinto sales 1970 to 1980? Don't forget to add Barracuda sales to 70-74 Challenger sales. Why not Nova, Omega, Venture and Apollo sales to Camaro sales? The charts are comparing nameplate to nameplate.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
well how about, for the Mustang II haters add Pinto sales 1970 to 1980? Don't forget to add Barracuda sales to 70-74 Challenger sales. Why not Nova, Omega, Venture and Apollo sales to Camaro sales? The charts are comparing nameplate to nameplate.
Ohh forgot about the Pinto, good catch:cheers:

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I am a little surprised at the low camaro numbers for a new model being released. That said I don't think it is really going to bring in people who would not have bought a camaro before.

My 2015 mustang is the first mustang I have owned, first sports car. Prior to this my 2009 maxima was the only "performance" car I have ever really owned. My car prior to the mustang was a 2013 fusion. But I really love the new design so much I just had to have one. Never had any interest in mustangs prior. I think there have been a lot of other people in the same boat which is why it has been selling well.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Now the latest excuse from Camp Bowtie™ is that the reason Camaro sales are low is because the Turbo 4 is so late into production and once that happens..look out!

A good portion of the GM faithful are pretty hostile to the idea that the 6th Gen might not sell as well as the 5th.

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
Now the latest excuse from Camp Bowtie™ is that the reason Camaro sales are low is because the Turbo 4 is so late into production and once that happens..look out!

A good portion of the GM faithful are pretty hostile to the idea that the 6th Gen might not sell as well as the 5th.
Just like so many on here are besides themselves over the fact that the new Camaro is a better performer.

Science should be studying these types of people.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this is turning into Yellow Bullet.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Just like so many on here are besides themselves over the fact that the new Camaro is a better performer.

Science should be studying these types of people.
+1

The camaro is the better performance car right now. The camaro and mustang swap back and forth all the time, but are usually pretty close stock vs. stock. There are only a few exceptions where one is astronomically better than the other. Why this bothers anyone is beyond me. The two cars are at different points in development, so of course when one gets updated it already has a benchmark to beat.

Based on performance alone, the camaro should dominate sales once adequate supply of the 2016 camaro has reached dealers. That isn't the only factor in buying a pony car and most people don't buy purely based off of performance numbers though. The mustang got a seriously updated look, which is attracting many new buyers. It is also a really nice car to drive around in. Lots of people buy these cars that want nothing to do with racing. The camaro didn't get a big design update. It likely won't attract anyone the 5th gen didn't attract.

Just because the camaro is selling [relatively] poorly compared to the mustang doesn't make it a bad/worse car. It just doesn't speak to the average person like the new mustang does. The price increase doesn't help either.

I see [basically] the same excuses in both camps every time sales numbers flip. It is quite entertaining. Especially when everyone tries to make apples to oranges comparisons to favor one or the other.

I look forward to seeing when/how Ford updates the performance of the mustang to answer the new camaro, but if I had the money to buy one I would have no problems buying the mustang despite being the lesser performer of the two cars at the moment.

Sponsored

505STANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0
+1

The camaro is the better performance car right now. The camaro and mustang swap back and forth all the time, but are usually pretty close stock vs. stock. There are only a few exceptions where one is astronomically better than the other. Why this bothers anyone is beyond me. The two cars are at different points in development, so of course when one gets updated it already has a benchmark to beat.

Based on performance alone, the camaro should dominate sales once adequate supply of the 2016 camaro has reached dealers. That isn't the only factor in buying a pony car and most people don't buy purely based off of performance numbers though. The mustang got a seriously updated look, which is attracting many new buyers. It is also a really nice car to drive around in. Lots of people buy these cars that want nothing to do with racing. The camaro didn't get a big design update. It likely won't attract anyone the 5th gen didn't attract.

Just because the camaro is selling [relatively] poorly compared to the mustang doesn't make it a bad/worse car. It just doesn't speak to the average person like the new mustang does. The price increase doesn't help either.

I see [basically] the same excuses in both camps every time sales numbers flip. It is quite entertaining. Especially when everyone tries to make apples to oranges comparisons to favor one or the other.

I look forward to seeing when/how Ford updates the performance of the mustang to answer the new camaro, but if I had the money to buy one I would have no problems buying the mustang despite being the lesser performer of the two cars at the moment.
People vote with their wallets and yes the camaro is the better preformer out of the box but that shouldn't be a shock to anyone here or the Camaro camp. The Mustang has always been the easier car to live with per say just look at the overall sales from when each started production until now. I believe the Mustang has sold over 500,000 more cars to date. Camaro will be #2 for a long time to come.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
People vote with their wallets and yes the camaro is the better preformer out of the box but that shouldn't be a shock to anyone here or the Camaro camp. The Mustang has always been the easier car to live with per say just look at the overall sales from when each started production until now. I believe the Mustang has sold over 500,000 more cars to date. Camaro will be #2 for a long time to come.
From the first page, in lifetime sales the Camaro is "behind" by over 4,000,000. But either way, I agree with your statement, and it is why I would buy a Mustang over a Camaro today (2016 vs. 2016). The Mustang already has enough power to very quickly get me arrested or severely injured on the public roads. The decision would come down to livability and intangibles, which to me favors the Mustang. Other's opinions will vary.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
The 16 Camaro is fugly and I say this as I am looking right at a blue RS! The rear end looks as fugly as the new Cadillac and the hood looks like a toilet seat! The body lines look like Chevy stole it from Ford. Panels are definitely not flush where the rear fenders meet the bumper either. The color is hideous as well!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
They're both good cars and each will sell with their respective fans. I personally don't care much for the Camaro but you can't deny its not a true pony car and has performance equal to the Mustang. Mustang has longevity on its side, 51 years of continuous production as opposed to Camaro. It has a racing pedigree unmatched in automotive history to any of the cars in its class. Our 6g cars are probably the best ever built. HP, NVH, and ride are far and away superior to anything that's come before it. This car is livable performance with the ability to please the casual fan or hardcore enthusiast. A few bolt-ons or a tune can net serious power gains. I hate to be the "can't we all just get along" guy, but that's really what should happen here. Don't like Camaro? Don't buy one but don't put people down for wanting to own one and vice-versa.
Sponsored