coyote swap into 2016 V6/6r80 s550

S550alex_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I have a 2016 v6 with GT wheels came like that from the dealer, got it for a good deal over a s197 5.0. looking to do a coyote/mt82 swap into the car, I found a great deal on a crashed (rear damage) 2016 GT performance pack. asking for advice and tips to make the transition as "smooth" as it could be. issues I may run into and so forth.

tempImageg7F4IG.png
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Do a deep search here. There is a member who did the swap, it is not easy. He has a complete thread about the swap.

You will need all the wiring and modules from the donor car.

I'll just get this over with since you will have 60 other's saying it. It is easier and probably cheaper to sell this car and buy a GT.

Good luck and have fun. This is not a weekend project.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Take the whole front clip from that donor car. It's my understanding that this is easier if you swap absolutely everything over. It's still an incredibly time consuming job to do.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I can't offer any specific advice on this job, other than to say you will have your work cutout for you.

Would likely be infinitely easier to buy a GT with a blown motor and do the swap.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you, I just hate to see guys be all excited with a project and then never finish it because the project was far more complex and expensive than they anticipated. Doubly so when a guy thinks he has found some shortcut or cheaper alternative. A lot of us have been there. šŸ˜€

OP
OP

S550alex_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I see, itā€™s just that I canā€™t find a car thatā€™s in the same condition thatā€™s under 25kā€¦. I understand it is time consuming and will take a lot of labor but thatā€™s not the issue. just want to know if it can be done with simply a doner car. thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP

S550alex_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I see, itā€™s just that I canā€™t find a car thatā€™s in the same condition thatā€™s under 25kā€¦. I understand it is time consuming and will take a lot of labor but thatā€™s not the issue. just want to know if it can be done with simply a doner car. thanks
Donor*

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I understand it is time consuming and will take a lot of labor but thatā€™s not the issue. just want to know if it can be done with simply a doner car. thanks
That remains the question. Try to dig up the thread on this swap. If I remember correctly it took him over 6 months and he needed to send some modules out for reprograming.

I forget if he had a complete donor car or not.

If I get time I might try to find it.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
In my area used cars are pretty high. Yet, S197 5.0 mustangs can be had for well under $25k.
With a little bit of patience and negotiating, a gen 2 coyote s550 can be had for basically that price.

Even if the car were a little rough around the edges, it would certainly be easier to work on that car, making it your own, than to do a swap.

Good luck on whichever way you go and enjoy the process.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I may do this in 5-10 years when my V6 blows up from abuse haha. But honestly a procharger seems a safer and more friendly route. I did find an ecoboost who did the swap and it was straight near a 2 week bolt in affair.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mike is spot on. Take everything from the entire front portion of the donor car and swap it in. Hood included, the V6 hood is a little different than the GT hood (aside from the fact the GT hood has vents and the V6 doesnā€™t). The hood is a direct swap though, no mods needed.

Also, if itā€™s a factor for you at some point, throw resale out the window once you make the swap. You wonā€™t recoup anything you put into it. It still has the VIN reflecting itā€™s a V6 model, so a lot of folks will be turned off by the swap, dealers included.

If youā€™re mechanically inclined, the physical swap shouldnā€™t be too difficult but the electronic stuff could become the stuff nightmares are made of.

I owned an S550 V6 for a couple years. Itā€™s a fun car in its own right. I agree with Cobalt, if more power is what you seek, slap a Procharger or a couple turbskiā€™s on it and let it fly. The Cyclone is a pretty stout motor and will do fine with a procharger or a TT kit. It wonā€™t ever sound like a V8 but boosted it will fly like one.

Good luck whatever you decide

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The swap of the mechanicals is the easy part. Yer gonna be paying the Ford techs big money, for multiple fuck-ups, to reprogram the PCM/BCM to match the VIN of your car.

In the end, between buying the write-off, and everything you put into your ride, you'd be better off selling your car and putting as a down payment on a 15-23 GT.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
I don't know how bad your donor car is but what about fixing it? To me (a body guy) a rear clip would be easier. and now you have a real GT PP car. Keep and drive the v6 until it's done.
Sponsored