Car and Driver Lightning Lap Camaro ZL1 1LE DAMN FAST

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
" GT350R doesn’t have track-car kit such as a low-hanging splitter or a massive wing, nor does it punish its occupants with a harsh ride and road and tire noise. Yet it delivers on enjoyment and performance." The ZL1 is not street friendly.......PERIOD! The ZL1 1LE really is a confused car but chassis is more race car than the R, IMO.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't think the ZL1 1LE is confused at all. It's buyers might be though. And 15 year old fan boys who have never driven a car before and just see a wing at "650."

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The brakes with these cars are fine. The only thing needed (as with any other car used for high speed tracks) Upgraded brake pads and fluid.

We upgraded to GLOC 16/12 & Castrol SRF Fluid for my brother's ZL1 1LE for Road America. It is the same brake compounds and fluid I run in my R. Brakes are fine. Definitely a different feel than the R. No fade after 25 minute sessions.

One thing I will say, I have more confidence in the GT350R brakes. The R's brakes seem to bite harder with a pedal that seems to respond more linear to input. With the ZL1 brakes, you need to really put some pressure on them to get them to bite. They never seem to bite as hard as the R brakes.

ZL1 1LE just needs pads and fluid. No issues with the hardware. Different feel for sure. I only got one session in the car. I will have many more before the end of the year. I am excited to get more time behind the wheel. I am sure with more time, the brakes will begin to feel more natural to me.
No overheating issues I take it? There was a relatively new ZL1 at the track yesterday and he was having some heat issues. I was surprised - was only about 85-87 degrees.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I don't think the ZL1 1LE is confused at all. It's buyers might be though. And 15 year old fan boys who have never driven a car before and just see a wing at "650."
Confused is about all it is man. Whether the brakes hold up with aftermarket pads and fluid is irrelevant; they are designing a seemingly track purpose hardcore car, that can't complete more than a handful of laps without fade.

Then if you consider "ok it is a street car, not a track car so it doesn't need track worthy brakes". But then you realize it has a DSSV suspension that is solid mounted to the body so it literally beats the hell out of you unless you are on perfect pavement.

Then you think, "well hell, maybe it is a track car, after all it does have a big jesus wing right?!?! Just got to buy aftermarket pads and fluid on my brand new $70K track car so I can complete a full session."

Then you realize, "hell, if this is what I'm using as a fairly dedicated track car, why the hell do I have all these interior amenities in my hardcore car?"

Heated steering wheel.... heated/ventilated seats, sound deadening, full trunk liner, etc. Just doesn't make sense to me. Honestly if the car didn't have a solid mounted suspension and had mag shocks I would go for it over the standard ZL1 as well. But making it absolutely unlivable on the street, but then also giving it all sorts of creature comforts that do nothing but add weight doesn't make sense to me. It's like adding super hardcore items, but then also adding items that don't make sense based on the car it should be. Almost like its trying TOO hard to be the "jack of all trades" rather than being all it could be as a track car OR the ultimate all-rounder (if it had a livable suspension).

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Confused is about all it is man. Whether the brakes hold up with aftermarket pads and fluid is irrelevant; they are designing a seemingly track purpose hardcore car, that can't complete more than a handful of laps without fade.

Then if you consider "ok it is a street car, not a track car so it doesn't need track worthy brakes". But then you realize it has a DSSV suspension that is solid mounted to the body so it literally beats the hell out of you unless you are on perfect pavement.

Then you think, "well hell, maybe it is a track car, after all it does have a big jesus wing right?!?! Just got to buy aftermarket pads and fluid on my brand new $70K track car so I can complete a full session."

Then you realize, "hell, if this is what I'm using as a fairly dedicated track car, why the hell do I have all these interior amenities in my hardcore car?"

Heated steering wheel.... heated/ventilated seats, sound deadening, full trunk liner, etc. Just doesn't make sense to me. Honestly if the car didn't have a solid mounted suspension and had mag shocks I would go for it over the standard ZL1 as well. But making it absolutely unlivable on the street, but then also giving it all sorts of creature comforts that do nothing but add weight doesn't make sense to me. It's like adding super hardcore items, but then also adding items that don't make sense based on the car it should be. Almost like its trying TOO hard to be the "jack of all trades" rather than being all it could be as a track car OR the ultimate all-rounder (if it had a livable suspension).
Sounds like they needed to go crazy with the suspension to get the times they wanted to advertise and sell cars to the statisticians, but then knew deep down the majority of owners were equally interested in the creature comforts.

OP
OP
dsm_mikey

dsm_mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R

Again, almost all street cars need a Brake Pad and Brake Fluid Change BEFORE they go on the track. They also need an alignment.

"Whether the brakes hold up with aftermarket pads and fluid is irrelevant; "

Umm...No. Almost any street car should change brake pads and fluid to a track biased pad before going onto a high speed Road Course like VIR or Road America. People that do not track their cars would HATE track brake pads. They are LOUD and DUSTY. The hardware on the car is what is important. Does the car have solid brake calipers, rotors, and proper brake ducting...YES THIS IS RELEVANT!!

The ZL1 1LE does not seem to be confused. It is a comfortable albeit heavy car that dominates. It really is no different than an AMG Mercedes...Blown V8 Engine CHECK, Lots of convenience options CHECK, More Track Focused than run of the mill ZL1's CHECK, Heavy Car CHECK, Luxurious Leather Wrapped Interior (Okay no CHECK Here :))

I think there will be a more sinister version coming of this Camaro.

I am not trying to play Chevy Fan Boy here, I just want to help everyone understand this car. I am so glad there is competition amongst the manufactures to make cars like this. I LOVE all of these track focused cars that are being bombarded upon us. What a time to live!!!

Is it faster than my GT350R- Without a doubt. Is it more fun - No.

I really like these cars, but I like my GT350R more. I love High RPM N/A cars...just my thing.

I applaud GM for their effort! :cheers:

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Well done GM........well done indeed. Impressive fleet they have right now. SS 1LE, Grand Sport, Z06, ZL1, and ZL1 1LE are all world beating cars for under $100k.
Same GM playbook from the last 25 years. Where's an off-road competitor to the Raptor, or tuner crowd grade RS, or even ST?

Sponsored

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I'd get a ZL1-L1E, I can't stomach it though, the Camaro isn't my style.

I'm in for a 2019 GT500 tho, which I'm sure will handle a ZL1 or zl1 L1E , on the street anyway, and it should, with 125HP (+or- a few) difference, kinda like the HP difference between a ZL1 and GT350.
I'll sure be glad when this thing is revealed. You're starting to remind me of the mid engine Corvette crowd. You think Ford may have had to go back to the drawing board? 5 model years into the 6th gen seems a little long. After all this waiting, if it's called a true ZL1 competitor, it'll be adm'ed to death anyways.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
ZL1 owner gushing about GM products on a Shelby GT350 thread...........:lol:
Obviously it was a little jab at you guys, but I'm not lying, am I? Aren't all the cars impressive, and world beating for under $100k? And if you read the original post, I'd say this is a ZL1 1LE thread, not a GT350 thread.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Obviously it was a little jab at you guys, but I'm not lying, am I? Aren't all the cars impressive, and world beating for under $100k? And if you read the original post, I'd say this is a ZL1 1LE thread, not a GT350 thread.
I wouldn't drive a Government Motors car if you gave it to me........which is why you won't find me commenting on a Camaro forum........but it's a free country.......:ninja:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
You're late to the party on that one and they're selling out. They're an allocation car but GM's allocation procedure is drastically different than Ford's.
Maybe now, it's the new toy in town, we'll see with time how this plays out. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited: