Brand New S550 GT But Paint Seems Not OK

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yep that's how it came, I've had the car for six days now and realized that yesterday
I had a similar issue on my Hellcat. I took it in two weeks later, they took car of it, no big deal. It DEFINITELY did not hurt resale (I sold it for 10k more than I paid a year earlier. Thanks COVID!).

Your post make zero sense.
!st post you say A pillar , that is at windshield , but a few post later stated the dealer offered to paint the rear quarter . That is the other end of the car and not anywhere near the A pillar.
or is these marks all over the car?
I would see if the oasis report shows any repairs done at factory or dealer before delivery to 1st owner.
It is all one panel. They typically spray an entire panel because blending mid panel is very difficult. Especially with clear coat applied.
Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I had a similar issue on my Hellcat. I took it in two weeks later, they took car of it, no big deal. It DEFINITELY did not hurt resale (I sold it for 10k more than I paid a year earlier. Thanks COVID!).

It is all one panel. They typically spray an entire panel because blending mid panel is very difficult. Especially with clear coat applied.
An "A" pillar is at windscreen and cowl of the car, the rear quarter is at the back of the car.
it is not one panel
test.jpg

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
An "A" pillar is at windscreen and cowl of the car, the rear quarter is at the back of the car.
it is not one panel
test.jpg
You are correct. The problem is the A pillar is part of the rear quarter panel (there is no seam to stop/start the repainting process between the A pillar and the rear quarter panel). Typically body shops paint an entire panel. It makes a cleaner finish. Blending the white, then the clear coat, takes a level of skill I suspect most shops just can't do.

1681306133249.png

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
You are correct. The problem is the A pillar is part of the rear quarter panel (there is no seam to stop/start the repainting process between the A pillar and the rear quarter panel). Typically body shops paint an entire panel. It makes a cleaner finish. Blending the white, then the clear coat, takes a level of skill I suspect most shops just can't do.

1681306133249.png
Then if they lack skill, then best plan on blending and then clearing the fender, door, deck lid, roof.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White

1681306133249.png

Yes, that's exactly why they offered to paint the quarter panel. It just feels bad when I think that they will repaint almost entire left side of my brand new car.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, that's exactly why they offered to paint the quarter panel. It just feels bad when I think that they will repaint almost entire left side of my brand new car.
Yeah. You are highly unlikely to find a shop, especially a dealership, that will do just one small spot. Your car being white, it should not be noticeable when complete.

With as new as your car is, once it is repainting I highly doubt you will notice a different color panel. But I totally understand your position, it sucks you have to deal with it. Hope it all goes well!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I wouldn’t sweat it. Once they’re done you’ll never be able to tell unless you use a paint depth gauge (and even then it’s not uniform on a factory painted car). As for diminished value after being repainted, it won’t be marked as an accident or anything like that on a Carfax (in fact it won’t show up at all on a Carfax). It will show up on an Oasis report but most likely as a factory paint defect that was corrected. Have them repaint it, drive and enjoy!

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
I just got it checked at 2 different reputable third party body shops.

Apparently that's the factory paint, nothing happened on the way or at the dealer, paint has the same thickness all around with a very slight variation.

They both advised me to drive it as it is if it's not bothering me that much.

Because it most likely will cause devaluation of my car even though it doesnt show up on Carfax. Like me, most people who love these cars show up with a gauge to check the paint..

Anyways, I know I should've been more careful but that does not give Ford or any manufacturer the right to sell me a car with a defect. It is just not right.

At this point, all I want from Ford and/or the dealer is some kind of compensation to be honest.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Yeah. You are highly unlikely to find a shop, especially a dealership, that will do just one small spot. Your car being white, it should not be noticeable when complete.

With as new as your car is, once it is repainting I highly doubt you will notice a different color panel. But I totally understand your position, it sucks you have to deal with it. Hope it all goes well!
Color matching is the easier part. It’s the spray out time that matters because that’s what makes certain that the metallic lays properly to the rest of the car. The color can be spot on but as soon as the car shows sideways if the metallic isn’t right the color will still look way off.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just got it checked at 2 different reputable third party body shops.

Apparently that's the factory paint, nothing happened on the way or at the dealer, paint has the same thickness all around with a very slight variation.

They both advised me to drive it as it is if it's not bothering me that much.

Because it most likely will cause devaluation of my car even though it doesnt show up on Carfax. Like me, most people who love these cars show up with a gauge to check the paint..

Anyways, I know I should've been more careful but that does not give Ford or any manufacturer the right to sell me a car with a defect. It is just not right.

At this point, all I want from Ford and/or the dealer is some kind of compensation to be honest.
The car won't be devalued due to any paint repair.

In 30+ years of buying/selling cars, socially Mustangs - never had anyone ever showed up with a paint depth gauge to determine if there Is any discrepancies in paint depth or if there was a repaint. I do not think that will be any issue for you at all.

--

A really good shop should be able to blend that repair the length of the A-Pillar to base of windshield and back to about middle of the door before the B-pillar. There's no need to do an entire repaint of the rear 1/4, especially with WHITE.

If the car had a 3-stage paint like Ruby Red or any other 3-stage metallic, yes then blending would be far more difficult.

If a shop can't blend in white, they really shouldn't be in the business.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Color matching is the easier part. It’s the spray out time that matters because that’s what makes certain that the metallic lays properly to the rest of the car. The color can be spot on but as soon as the car shows sideways if the metallic isn’t right the color will still look way off.
I knew someone would know better than me. A friend has the metallic gray/silver, and he had this exact issue.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
The car won't be devalued due to any paint repair.

In 30+ years of buying/selling cars, socially Mustangs - never had anyone ever showed up with a paint depth gauge to determine if there Is any discrepancies in paint depth or if there was a repaint. I do not think that will be any issue for you at all.

--

A really good shop should be able to blend that repair the length of the A-Pillar to base of windshield and back to about middle of the door before the B-pillar. There's no need to do an entire repaint of the rear 1/4, especially with WHITE.

If the car had a 3-stage paint like Ruby Red or any other 3-stage metallic, yes then blending would be far more difficult.

If a shop can't blend in white, they really shouldn't be in the business.
Thank you for the reply, it makes me feel better honestly.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Fixing that should be a non-issue, especially with white. More quality FRAP craftsmanship.

My '15 came with grind marks visible through the paint on top of the passenger side quarter panel kickup. It was only visible in certain light, but you better believe my OCD caused me to stare at it every time I was near the spot. The solution (versus tearing into factory paint) was to put on a GT350 TP spoiler, the overhanging end of which obscures the wart. I can still laugh when I pop the trunk.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
As an update;

I just spoke to Ford customer service what they basically said was:

"Yes we sent you a defective car and no we can't do anything other than painting the entire left side of your vehicle, you have a great day!"

I am actually amused how much they don't care, even FCA who's notoriously bad about their customer service was levels above Ford.

Sad to say but this will be my first and last Ford vehicle along with the family and everyone I know both in and outside of United States.

Not that I have a following cult but people usually value my opinions and I hold grudges. I am pretty sure Ford just bought themselves some bad reputation that will cost waay more than a little compensation they could offer.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
Fixing that should be a non-issue, especially with white. More quality FRAP craftsmanship.

My '15 came with grind marks visible through the paint on top of the passenger side quarter panel kickup. It was only visible in certain light, but you better believe my OCD caused me to stare at it every time I was near the spot. The solution (versus tearing into factory paint) was to put on a GT350 TP spoiler, the overhanging end of which obscures the wart. I can still laugh when I pop the trunk.
That's the mood I am trying to get in lol. I also have OCD, trying to figure out some ways to hide it or learn to live with it.

I wish Ford would live up to expectations and had halfway decent customer service though, it's scary to think what would happen if something big goes wrong.
Sponsored