Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
Hey People,

I just bought a GT, it is pretty much base, has 6 speed Manual, 301A and Active Exhaust.

I decided to give her first wash yesterday and some shine. I realized something wasn't right on driver's side A pillar as I was waxing it. It seems it is underneath the paint.

I will attach some photos, please please give me your opinions on this. There is visibly something wrong and you can also feel it just by running your fingers against it.

Here it is:

IMG_20230410_163052.jpg

IMG_20230410_163044.jpg

IMG_20230410_163047.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
Take it back
I did. They offered to paint the left quarter panel, which is basically the entire left side of the car. I don't think that really makes sense.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I did. They offered to paint the left quarter panel, which is basically the entire left side of the car. I don't think that really makes sense.
There might be more spots they saw or they just need to blend it in. Either way, it’s covered so I’d just have them do it.

FatThigh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Hugh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
What you are seeing looks to me like sanding marks underneath the paint which means if that has already been repainted more than likely due to damage at the factory or in transit.

once upon a time, I bought a GT350, took it home and started waxing the car and noticed sanding marks underneath the paint. As it would turn out, the whole fender had been repaired at some point at the factory.

I promptly took the car back to the dealer and they ended up getting me another one.

I would not accept that at this point, it’s a new car and should be new with factory paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
What you are seeing looks to me like sanding marks underneath the paint which means if that has already been repainted more than likely due to damage at the factory or in transit.

once upon a time, I bought a GT350, took it home and started waxing the car and noticed sanding marks underneath the paint. As it would turn out, the whole fender had been repaired at some point at the factory.

I promptly took the car back to the dealer and they ended up getting me another one.

I would not accept that at this point, it’s a new car and should be new with factory paint.
That's what I would like to do but not sure if that's what Ford has in their mind.

FatThigh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Hugh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
How long have you had the car? It was between me and the dealer who wanted to make it right... after I gave back the car the dealer took it up with Ford to "correct" it - which is still basically a new fender and non-factory paint... saw it at a car event a while after... one of the dealer techs bought it... He was bouncing it off redline and doing burnouts, so I doubt he cared about the paint lol.

That's what I would like to do but not sure if that's what Ford has in their mind.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Hey People,

I just bought a GT, it is pretty much base, has 6 speed Manual, 301A and Active Exhaust.

I decided to give her first wash yesterday and some shine. I realized something wasn't right on driver's side A pillar as I was waxing it. It seems it is underneath the paint.

I will attach some photos, please please give me your opinions on this. There is visibly something wrong and you can also feel it just by running your fingers against it.

Here it is:

IMG_20230410_163052.jpg

IMG_20230410_163044.jpg

IMG_20230410_163047.jpg
If that came out of FRAP looking like that, then there’s something very wrong. Not with yourself or your car. A new car should NEVER be released for sale like that. As an American car owner that’s embarrassing.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
How long have you had the car? It was between me and the dealer who wanted to make it right... after I gave back the car the dealer took it up with Ford to "correct" it - which is still basically a new fender and non-factory paint... saw it at a car event a while after... one of the dealer techs bought it... He was bouncing it off redline and doing burnouts, so I doubt he cared about the paint lol.

I've had it for 6 days now, that's just how it came and I just realized. Not sure how this is going to end up, I am just really sad. I already had to fight Dodge last year because my Challenger had a problem with the drivetrain. Not sure if I want to get into that again, it's just sad and tiring.

OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
If that came out of FRAP looking like that, then there’s something very wrong. Not with yourself or your car. A new car should NEVER be released for sale like that. As an American car owner that’s embarrassing.
Yep that's how it came, I've had the car for six days now and realized that yesterday while I was washing and shining the car for the first time. This is not my first rodeo with great American car industry though, Dodge sold me a Challenger with a messed up transmission and bought it back after 8 months.

Tough luck, but also sad.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jk550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6MT Oxford White
There might be more spots they saw or they just need to blend it in. Either way, it’s covered so I’d just have them do it.
Yeah that's what I actually want to do but just scared that my vehicle might lose some value.

FatThigh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Hugh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I really would talk to the dealer and see what they can do about getting you a different GT...

but... if you are happy with this one, make them fix it properly and get a paint meter and nice bright light and make them match the orange peel as close as possible.

Either way don't second guess whatever decision you make. Enjoy and drive the car either way, and don't fret too much.

Yeah that's what I actually want to do but just scared that my vehicle might lose some value.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Hey People,

Here it is:

IMG_20230410_163052.jpg

IMG_20230410_163044.jpg

IMG_20230410_163047.jpg
Your post make zero sense.
!st post you say A pillar , that is at windshield , but a few post later stated the dealer offered to paint the rear quarter . That is the other end of the car and not anywhere near the A pillar.
or is these marks all over the car?
I would see if the oasis report shows any repairs done at factory or dealer before delivery to 1st owner.

As for why they let this go. Factory was pushing units out to fill orders, Base car owners are not as picky as those with higher trim cars. And frankly most likely said ship it, if the customer complains we will deal with it then.
If this is all over the car A pillar to rear quarter, I am thinking repaired after transit.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Unfortunately there's few things in play:

- Before signing any paperwork to purchase, OP should have thoroughly inspected the vehicle in bright daylight or if it was a night purchase, ask to see the car in the Service Center's brightly lit bays to go over the entire exterior and interior of the car.

- Had the OP done the above, they could have declined the car at that stage.

- Once papers are signed - more so if a loan was taken out on the car and it's now 6 days later after the purchase, "swapping" isn't as easy as it sounds and won't happen.

- Again if the car was financed, per Ford RAV Buy Back and OP's Home State Lemon Laws, now that it is 6 days later, the OP will need to let Ford make it right, meaning Ford has to attempt the warranty repair. If the repair is not satisfactory to the OP, then they can proceed with proper Buy Back/Lemon Law filing per their Home State's laws.

I'm not in any way at all coming down on the OP for not doing a better inspection of the vehicle before signing papers - but to get the concern addressed, at this stage there isn't any easy way other than letting the Dealership do the paint/body repairs.

----
If the issue is only at the A-pillar as seen in the pic, a good shop should be able to just repair the A-pillar with a blend into the roof line. I'm not sure why they need to go as far back as the rear 1/4 or touch any side of the vehicle UNLESS like others have said, there are other issues that were found upon a deeper inspection.

----

Always, thoroughly inspect a new car purchase in bright daylight OR under service bay lights if at night. Never sign paperwork OR be "pushed" into a quick jibber jabber nonsense sale by the Salesperson to hurry, sign, and leave...
Sponsored