August 2015 Mustang Sales

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Going to be worst for all GM 16MY models. GM reduced the warranty from 5 Years/100,000 to 5 years/60,000 guess they loosing alot of finacial on replacing blown motors, and warranty repairs. Buy cutting the warranty would save them a lot of warranty repairs.
Really? They're losing a lot? I read an article on the warranty reduction and it said they are doing it because so few people are using it!

That would be interesting if there were some stats on repair frequencies.
Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
YTD

It's going to be very interesting to see if GM adjusted correctly with the 6G Camaro. Although I'm no expert I'm under the impression they didn't. To me at least, on the outside the 6G Camaro looks like a re-freshed 5G.

Might be difficult for some to tell much of a difference between the two when it first comes out? Probably be very bad for sales. I have also heard/read multiple people state they think the 6G Camaro looks to cartoonish and that GM didn't change it enough...
Most.

kiwiford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon 302, Mazda MPV V6
If that were the case, why not leave it at 100,000; as that would surely look better than a reduction. With all their troubles, it can't look like anything less than a lack of faith in the quality of their product !!

lissuhllama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lissa
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT with 50th Anniversary Package
This girl bought a mustang in August! :thumbsup:

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
Well, it's no wonder:

1) YOY sales is down 36% for the Camaro
2) Mustang outsells it, on average, by about 3000 cars a month in 2015
3) Whatever sales lead the Camaro had, overall, since 2009 is going to evaporate before the end of the year
4) GM bet the bank that by keeping the Gen6 styling so similar to the Gen5, they would generate Gen5 levels do sales. That's very unlikely to happen
5) It will be the 90's all over again. Camaro will offer better factory performance with the SS versus the GT, but it won't help sales
6) Their biggest fanboy cheerleader, LOWDOWN, passed away a month ago
7) Their brand pastor, Scott "Keep the Faith" Settlemire is retiring
8) Their chief engineer, Al Oppenheiser, seems to have misled them on final curb weights of the Gen6 trims
9) GM priced the Gen6 out of the price range most are willing to pay for a Camaro trim that does not being with "Z"
10) The baddest track-intent Camaro ever built is likely to get it's ass handed to it by a car costing much less and offering more amenities

I mean, the most excitement you see regarding the new car is over an exhaust sound clip. That's just sad.
I test drove a leftover 2015 5.0 today, nice car but I'm still waiting on a 2016 Camaro to make that objective call..

You're assuming sales trends continue, even after the sixth gen comes out.
You're also making up Al O misleading on the weight numbers.
I'm kind of pissed about the price, but with GM discount I get decent money off to make it almost the same price as a 5.0.
Comparing last gen to new gen again I see. :shrug:

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing last gen to new gen again I see. :shrug:
considering that there is no track-intent 6thGen Camaro yet, yeah, I 'm comparing the GT350R to the best performing Camaro Chevy currently has to offer.

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
considering that there is no track-intent 6thGen Camaro yet, yeah, I 'm comparing the GT350R to the best performing Camaro Chevy currently has to offer.
Good point, magazines will probably compare it with z28 times but do head to heads with loaded up 2SS's to make the price gap smaller.

I for one can't wait for some magazine tests these next few months.

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
Even Stevie Wonder can clearly tell it's not the same car when spotted on the road. :thumbsup:
Maybe?

There is a category of people out there that just aren't that big into cars. They may have heard and/or saw that a new camaro was coming out but when it hits the road it may take a while for said people to recognize it.

The car is pretty close to the 5G model whether you believe so or not. As noted before by yours truly I have personally heard/read where many people have stated the same.

When a 6G mustang is driving down the street doing 40 MPH you can CLEARLY see that that car is a completely different totally new designed car. It looks NOTHING like the S197... nothing.

The same can NOT be said about the 6G camaro...

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, magazines will probably compare it with z28 times but do head to heads with loaded up 2SS's to make the price gap smaller.

I for one can't wait for some magazine tests these next few months.
If magazines do a SS-to-GT350 comparison, it will be a base or track pack equipped GT350 to a SS with MRC. It would be ridiculous to compare a SS to the GT350R, as it is on different a different level entirely than the best Camaro SS that GM offers.

Maybe?

There is a category of people out there that just aren't that big into cars. They may have heard and/or saw that a new camaro was coming out but when it hits the road it may take a while for said people to recognize it.

The car is pretty close to the 5G model whether you believe so or not. As noted before by yours truly I have personally heard/read where many people have stated the same.

When a 6G mustang is driving down the street doing 40 MPH you can CLEARLY see that that car is a completely different totally new designed car. It looks NOTHING like the S197... nothing.

The same can NOT be said about the 6G camaro...
I showed a picture of the 6Gen Camaro to twelve of my co-workers the other day, all with varying degrees of auto knowledge. Most recognized it as a Camaro, but thought it was just an update of the existing car similar to what they did in a couple of years earlier. Two said they thought it was a new Cobalt, and two knew it was a new generation. When I asked them if they would consider buying one, several said they would consider it but it would come down to the price compared to other cars in its segment.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
I showed a picture of the 6Gen Camaro to tweleve of my co-workers the other day, all with varying degrees of auto knowledge. Most recognized it as a Camaro, but though it was just an update of the existing car similar to what they did in a couple of years earlier. Two said they thought it was a new Cobalt, and two knew it was a new generation. When I asked them if they would consider buying one, several said they would consider it but it would come down to the price compared to other cars in its segment.
:thumbsup:

Lol.

This sounds about right and pretty much what I expected. From all the comments I read in the comments section of articles posted to the net about the 6G Camaro they all are pretty much the same and what you experienced.

They didn't change it enough, too close to the last gen, too cartoonish etc. And now the pricing seems to high on top of that. It sure appears to me at least that they adjusted poorly on the new gen...

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Sex sells

because there are a ton of new ford and new mustang owners because of the s550. i'm one of them. first ford and first mustang!
Many new Mustangers are coming over to the S550 from European cars. Is it the sexy body styling or is it the IRS? Or could it be the Ecoboost? Someone should do a thread or poll of first time buyers.:cheers:

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Going to be worst for all GM 16MY models. GM reduced the warranty from 5 Years/100,000 to 5 years/60,000 guess they loosing alot of finacial on replacing blown motors, and warranty repairs. Buy cutting the warranty would save them a lot of warranty repairs.
Really? They're losing a lot? I read an article on the warranty reduction and it said they are doing it because so few people are using it!

That would be interesting if there were some stats on repair frequencies.
If that were the case, why not leave it at 100,000; as that would surely look better than a reduction. With all their troubles, it can't look like anything less than a lack of faith in the quality of their product !!
Yup, GM's sales didn't increase enough with the larger warranty to justify the extra warranty costs. If the extra warranty wasn't costing them much they would keep it at 100k miles or extend it even further as a testament to their reliability.

Is the 6th gen camaro really going to cost 5k more than a comparable 6th gen mustang? That would really surprise me if it did. So much for cost reduction from a compromised platform sharing.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am just starting to see 2015 Mustangs on the streets and highways in Minnesota. I suspect the September sales will be even better than August now that people are taking delivery of Mustangs in the Northern states.
Sponsored