Sponsored

Angrey's 60-130 lessons learned

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Here's an update.

The MOTEC and traction control system are working beautifully.

Here's another news flash, all the power and torque in the world is useless if you can't put it to use. (I know, groundbreaking stuff).

With 555R2, (at 24 psi hot) and my stiff track oriented suspension the car just can not propel forward using the tires to do it any faster than just above .5G of acceleration.

The tires did hold on the wheel this time, (I have signatures with bead knurling and also applied an ass load of tire tack when we mounted them). I'll try to gradually bring the pressure down and find the edge of where they'll hold without spinning on the wheel. That might improve matters.

The other factor that I had not considered is that spinning the whole way (3.5 mph) makes it so I can't reach 130 in 3rd gear (Like the entire drive train is planned out). So the dropoff at the end is an unexpected shift into 4th (I went into the rip expecting to let off after 3rd so when I nearly banged the limiter the need for the shift caught me a little by surprise).

So there's money left on the table if I can get traction both from an improvement in forward acceleration but also elimination of a shift (which ought to save me about .2-.3 seconds at least).

At the end of the day, I've made some hard line choices about what to do with the car (and not do) in terms of totally transforming the track oriented nature of the car. I suspect if I were to modify the rear suspension and rebound, I could squat and get a weight transfer and at least some traction bump in the early mph.

I did a fairly lazy run to 150 and the car still pulls at roughly just over .5G all the way to 150 (sub second 140-150).

The MOTEC worked brilliantly as the rear was loose the entire way but completely manageable with minor driving and corrections. It spun the entire run.

I have a set of beadlocks contemplated with a set of ET Street SS that should help on the traction front, more to follow. I think with eliminating a shift and a little more traction I can get deep into the 4's maybe even low 4's before I have to start considering rear suspension mods (which I'm reluctant).

On a very positive note, the car is an absolute BLAST to drive. Between the MOTEC and the interchiller, it's power to the limit in every gear, confidence with mashing my foot in basically an endless supply (until we run out of fuel).

I've posted about this previously, but what's REALLY curious is that my IAT2's hover just around ambient until I put a load on the motor and then they immediately begin falling quickly (bizarre right, IAT2's dropping in the middle of a pull instead of increasing). The only explanation I've been able to come up with is that the air "backs up" and dwells across the intercooler longer and allows it to actually get more heat exchange under pressure vs just cruising the air passing right by at no boost conditions.

Anyway, lessons learned, spinnin' ain't winnin. Suspension and traction matter. If you want a drag car, you have to set it up like a drag car.
5.08 Run.jpg
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Could get in the 4s without that drop off at the end, nice run. Whats your setup?

Ive been similar but its different with a 10r80 I have multiple shifts but with a 10r80 I think more shifts actually help like, you actually accelerate harder during a shift. I too notice its hard to get faster than this with a non-drag oriented suspension. Interesting comparison here with my 10r80 run :

I have used ET street Rs in 2 different sizes and they arent any better for me than normal street tires for these rolling runs. THey actually ball up rubber and spin more than normal tires on the street in my experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Could get in the 4s without that drop off at the end, nice run. Whats your setup?

Ive been similar but its different with a 10r80 I have multiple shifts but with a 10r80 I think more shifts actually help like, you actually accelerate harder during a shift. I too notice its hard to get faster than this with a non-drag oriented suspension. Interesting comparison here with my 10r80 run :

The 10R helps to keep torque multiplied vs speed in optimal output, but in my case, the motor makes way more sauce than the tires can handle, so gearing changes of any sort just won't help.

At first I thought that I'd up the traction setting then I realized that wouldn't do anything, it would just spin more. The flat top acceleration line is indicating that's as fast as those tires can move the car forward (with my suspension). My only options at this point are to improve traction by way of the tires themselves or to provide more weight shift which will help the coefficient and improve traction.

On the tire front, I'm going to try to run them a little lower pressure which should be beneficial, but I run the risk of the tire spinning on the wheel (hence the reference about bead locks). Next time out I might try heating them a little more as well.

One of the admitted brilliant aspects of modern electric motors and torque output is that it can be nearly instantaneously changed/adjusted so cars like the Tesla plaid will run as fast as the conditions will allow (which is why it can do rowdy rips in the rain).

Another analog would be a clutch, imagine a motor that makes infinite torque, but the clutch has a maximum load it can handle without slipping, all the torque in the world above that is useless, it can only handle what it can handle, and anything beyond that is just waste.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I need a blower, you guys are running 60 to 130 in the same time I run 60 to 100.

Shakes head and slinks out of the room

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I need a blower, you guys are running 60 to 130 in the same time I run 60 to 100.

Shakes head and slinks out of the room
Don't fret. If you ever start feeling that way, just join dragytalk. There's ALWAYS someone faster. There's a good number of cars out there that make this absolutely slow.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@Angrey are your ET Street Rs radials or bias plies? I ran those on the street NA and during a couple of nitrous test hits and they held my car very well. However, on the track I just could not get them to hook well at all.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have the radials (255594) but I won't mount them until the 555R2's wear out.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Motec let you launch hard from a dig?

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Here's an update.

The MOTEC and traction control system are working beautifully.

Here's another news flash, all the power and torque in the world is useless if you can't put it to use. (I know, groundbreaking stuff).

With 555R2, (at 24 psi hot) and my stiff track oriented suspension the car just can not propel forward using the tires to do it any faster than just above .5G of acceleration.

The tires did hold on the wheel this time, (I have signatures with bead knurling and also applied an ass load of tire tack when we mounted them). I'll try to gradually bring the pressure down and find the edge of where they'll hold without spinning on the wheel. That might improve matters.

The other factor that I had not considered is that spinning the whole way (3.5 mph) makes it so I can't reach 130 in 3rd gear (Like the entire drive train is planned out). So the dropoff at the end is an unexpected shift into 4th (I went into the rip expecting to let off after 3rd so when I nearly banged the limiter the need for the shift caught me a little by surprise).

So there's money left on the table if I can get traction both from an improvement in forward acceleration but also elimination of a shift (which ought to save me about .2-.3 seconds at least).

At the end of the day, I've made some hard line choices about what to do with the car (and not do) in terms of totally transforming the track oriented nature of the car. I suspect if I were to modify the rear suspension and rebound, I could squat and get a weight transfer and at least some traction bump in the early mph.

I did a fairly lazy run to 150 and the car still pulls at roughly just over .5G all the way to 150 (sub second 140-150).

The MOTEC worked brilliantly as the rear was loose the entire way but completely manageable with minor driving and corrections. It spun the entire run.

I have a set of beadlocks contemplated with a set of ET Street SS that should help on the traction front, more to follow. I think with eliminating a shift and a little more traction I can get deep into the 4's maybe even low 4's before I have to start considering rear suspension mods (which I'm reluctant).

On a very positive note, the car is an absolute BLAST to drive. Between the MOTEC and the interchiller, it's power to the limit in every gear, confidence with mashing my foot in basically an endless supply (until we run out of fuel).

I've posted about this previously, but what's REALLY curious is that my IAT2's hover just around ambient until I put a load on the motor and then they immediately begin falling quickly (bizarre right, IAT2's dropping in the middle of a pull instead of increasing). The only explanation I've been able to come up with is that the air "backs up" and dwells across the intercooler longer and allows it to actually get more heat exchange under pressure vs just cruising the air passing right by at no boost conditions.

Anyway, lessons learned, spinnin' ain't winnin. Suspension and traction matter. If you want a drag car, you have to set it up like a drag car.
5.08 Run.jpg
Try softening the rear suspension a little so you can get a little more weight transfer to the rear.

Sponsored

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
ET Street R's and I've had no problems hooking for a 60-130 🤷 4.8 is my best

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
lol

OP thought he was feeling pretty good about that bottom 5 hit.

Bill balls walked into the room
Actually no. Like I wrote earlier, I'm a member of Dragytalk on FB forums. low 5's is slow compared to quite a number of cars out there.

I wasn't disappointed (given the limitations of the car) with the time but I was pleased with how the MOTEC operated (and I'm always happy when nothing breaks). I was disappointed I couldn't get all the way to 130 in 3rd like I had planned. All things considered, it's right about where it should be. Shooting for mid to low 4's and then we'll see. I'm not gonna turn the rear suspension into a trailer park mattress yet.

But yeah, cars like RC's are in another realm.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Actually no. Like I wrote earlier, I'm a member of Dragytalk on FB forums. low 5's is slow compared to quite a number of cars out there.

I wasn't disappointed (given the limitations of the car) with the time but I was pleased with how the MOTEC operated (and I'm always happy when nothing breaks). I was disappointed I couldn't get all the way to 130 in 3rd like I had planned. All things considered, it's right about where it should be. Shooting for mid to low 4's and then we'll see. I'm not gonna turn the rear suspension into a trailer park mattress yet.

But yeah, cars like RC's are in another realm.

yeah right.gif
Sponsored