Sponsored

Almost got my first speeding ticket, got lucky

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah my V1 and Waze has saved me a few times. Someone once told me to roll down all windows, turn the car off and put hands on the steering wheel before the cop can walk up.. that advice has kept me from receiving a ticket in well over a decade and I've been pulled over for different things.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
most officers down here will not take you to jail or impound the car unless you are being flagrant, disrespectful and dangerous ( weaving or putting your foot in it with other cars around).

I won't say how fast i was going, but in Louisiana, there is a certain multiple of the speed limit in LA that warrants the traffic officer directing you to step out of the car, with your hands up as the first point of protocol. generally, the instruction is given to you over the officer's loudspeaker and said officer is bound by department regulations to have their weapon drawn.

handcuffs generally follow.

I hit that magical speed and surpassed it on my way to the track early one Saturday morning on an empty stretch of highway, just after I got my car.

Thankfully, the officer ran me and was also very interested in the car, as he hadn't seen one yet, and i was not invited to stay the weekend in the local jail.

I did get a ticket for 20 over, which was subsequently dismissed. that interaction was enough for me to remember how stupid it is to act like a hooligan, and at 36, there is literally no reason why i need to do that, especially since i have a garage and membership at a racetrack.

if the officer has chosen to exercise his discretion towards the full limit of the penalty for my choice to act like an idiot, i would have spent 3-4 days in jail, accumulated $3-4K in fines, another $3-4K in legal fees and legitimately about $8-10k in insurance premium increases.

CN: not worth booting it on public roads.

While i do enjoy the onramp scenario, and i do enjoy a few, select back roads with speed limits that should probably be adjusted down, I keep the high speed stuff on the track.
Bound by regulations to have weapons drawn!! in one the shadiest police force in the country wow.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
No tickets yet. But I get followed and stared down by cops around town all the time. They know my car by now because of the noise it makes and they're just dying for me to do something wrong.

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
I live in a small farming\oil community where everybody knows everybody ... our cops are more likely to want to "line them up and run" than write a ticket, lol :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah my V1 and Waze has saved me a few times. Someone once told me to roll down all windows, turn the car off and put hands on the steering wheel before the cop can walk up.. that advice has kept me from receiving a ticket in well over a decade and I've been pulled over for different things.
I think even just pulling over IMMEDIATELY gets you some valuable brownie points most of the time.

Sponsored

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
Common sense should tell you that you have to have a court appearance to be arraigned and set something for a trial date. Fine payment procedures are usually set up because that's what people constantly ask for. A convenient way to resolve their moving violations.

My wife correctly states to me often- feel free to drive just as fast as you can afford. That's a wise piece of advice.

Just look at paying a ticket.

They make it so easy to pay the ticket. Mail, online, Ive even heard of cops taking payment at the time of the stop.

But try to fight the ticket. I been to a place where I would had to take up to 3 days minimum to fight it.

First day to say "I'm not paying it" then they schedule a court appearance

Second day to submit your plea

Third day actual case.

I firmly believe that it is setup this way so people give-up on the process.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
Bound by regulations to have weapons drawn!! in one the shadiest police force in the country wow.
when being caught going 2x the speed limit it isn't an unrealistic precaution with regard to officer safety to have this sort of procedure.

It is seriously funny to me to have someone from NYC call officers in Louisiana Shady.

Our boys in blue do it right. there are always exceptions, but the overwhelming majority are good people who do it right.

Before you provide any commentary about where I live and about the police force, which contains a fair amount of my friends, look in the mirror.

I would never expect that anyone from NYC would ever understand what Louisiana people are like, so instead I'll ask that you be mindful of your glass house instead.

Thanks!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
when being caught going 2x the speed limit it isn't an unrealistic precaution with regard to officer safety to have this sort of procedure.

It is seriously funny to me to have someone from NYC call officers in Louisiana Shady.

Our boys in blue do it right. there are always exceptions, but the overwhelming majority are good people who do it right.

Before you provide any commentary about where I live and about the police force, which contains a fair amount of my friends, look in the mirror.

I would never expect that anyone from NYC would ever understand what Louisiana people are like, so instead I'll ask that you be mindful of your glass house instead.

Thanks!
I do not think doing 30 in a 15 or 60 in a 30 should mandate a gun pointed at me. We can agree to disagree. Id rather the cops use their training to assess the situation

Secondtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350dib tech
I did receive my first speeding ticket in 32 years of driving on my return ride ride home from picking up car in Illinois.I was guilty of doing 87 in a 70,the car is just so smooth and enjoyable I really had no idea that's how fast I was going at the time.Concerning waze no one picked up this officer till he had me pulled over lol.The remaining 400 mile trip home was very driven very carefully.

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I do not think doing 30 in a 15 or 60 in a 30 should mandate a gun pointed at me. We can agree to disagree. Id rather the cops use their training to assess the situation
OK, let's assess the situation. Say you've pulled over a car for double the speed limit. At this point you don't know if Mother Theresa is driving, or if it's Charlie Manson and he's already got his gun drawn. I'm gonna be ready for Charlie and if it's Theresa I can THEN relax.

Just my opinion, YMMV ... :D

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
OK, let's assess the situation. Say you've pulled over a car for double the speed limit. At this point you don't know if Mother Theresa is driving, or if it's Charlie Manson and he's already got his gun drawn. I'm gonna be ready for Charlie and if it's Theresa I can THEN relax.

Why wouldnt I just be some idiot speeding:shrug: as a kid I got pulled over a lot for speed, I got a ticket and kept it moving its not that serious. I know DOUBLE sounds bad but in reality some of the roads have such arbitrarily low limits its really not some times.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Common sense should tell you that you have to have a court appearance to be arraigned and set something for a trial date. Fine payment procedures are usually set up because that's what people constantly ask for. A convenient way to resolve their moving violations.

My wife correctly states to me often- feel free to drive just as fast as you can afford. That's a wise piece of advice.
Common sense would be that if I'm not wanting to pay the fine, then I'm going to fighting the ticket. So I should be able to plea and go straight into the trial.

I get a ticket on that ticket gives me a court date. If I pay the ticket prior to that they cancel the court date and let the police office know. If I don't pay the ticket or I inform them I'm not paying the ticket then I show up at the court and the cop should be there too. It's not the hard. But giving you multiple dates is only a way to encourage you not to fight it. Especially when you are from out of state.

I got a parking ticket and I had a creditable argument that the spot was not properly marked.

The ticket gave me a period of time (a few weeks) to pay it or tell the magistrate that I wanted to fight it.

The police and court was in the same building so before my period to pay was up I went down to talk with the officer. I even showed her pictures of my car, the sign, and the parking lines.

She said I had a choice. I could pay the $25 parking ticket before they pay by date. Or I could tell them I choose to fight it before the pay by date. If I wanted to fight it they would then give me a plea date followed by a court date. Oh and if I choose to fight it the minimum if I lost would be the $25 plus court fees. Now more than doubled.

My wife wanted my to fight it because she knew the parking ticket was BS. But I reasoned that even if I won, I would have wasted another 2 days of leave on top of the day I already took and it wouldn't stop the officer from ticketing someone else in the same place.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Common sense would be that if I'm not wanting to pay the fine, then I'm going to fighting the ticket. So I should be able to plea and go straight into the trial.

I get a ticket on that ticket gives me a court date. If I pay the ticket prior to that they cancel the court date and let the police office know. If I don't pay the ticket or I inform them I'm not paying the ticket then I show up at the court and the cop should be there too. It's not the hard. But giving you multiple dates is only a way to encourage you not to fight it. Especially when you are from out of state.

I got a parking ticket and I had a creditable argument that the spot was not properly marked.

The ticket gave me a period of time (a few weeks) to pay it or tell the magistrate that I wanted to fight it.

The police and court was in the same building so before my period to pay was up I went down to talk with the officer. I even showed her pictures of my car, the sign, and the parking lines.

She said I had a choice. I could pay the $25 parking ticket before they pay by date. Or I could tell them I choose to fight it before the pay by date. If I wanted to fight it they would then give me a plea date followed by a court date. Oh and if I choose to fight it the minimum if I lost would be the $25 plus court fees. Now more than doubled.

My wife wanted my to fight it because she knew the parking ticket was BS. But I reasoned that even if I won, I would have wasted another 2 days of leave on top of the day I already took and it wouldn't stop the officer from ticketing someone else in the same place.
Wow something we agree on.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Speeding (at any speed) in its self isn't an indicator for violence. Cops pull their weapons for self defense. How is there a perceived threat to the officers safety if the speeding car pulls over when the officer signals for the driver to pull over?
Did the driver follow instructions right away? I could see need for a weapon if the driver tried to flee from the officer.

Are they assuming that people doing twice the limit are trying to get pulled over to ambush a police officer?

Is going 2x the limit a violent crime or are they armed and dangerous?

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldnt I just be some idiot speeding:shrug: as a kid I got pulled over a lot for speed, I got a ticket and kept it moving its not that serious. I know DOUBLE sounds bad but in reality some of the roads have such arbitrarily low limits its really not some times.
Yes, it could be just some idiot ... my point is that they have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best when their life may be on the line. I'm not saying they should necessarily have their gun drawn at every traffic stop, but they damn well better be ready to draw quickly if needed. The lowest speed limit in my area is 25 MPH ... if some dumbass blows through it at double (50) they deserve a ticket ... 30 to 35, maybe some consideration, IMHO. I'm fortunate enough to live in a very rural area so it's not hard to find a nice, flat, straight paved road with no other cars for miles if I want to whip the pony ;)
Sponsored