GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys, I noticed some threads about winter tires on GT's but haven't come across one on GT350s. Basically I want to ask the group if Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 is good (on all corners) going from 305/35/19 to 285/35/19 full time? where I live doesn't get colder than 46F. Thanks.,
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I ran the Pilot Sport all season 4s on my GR86 for spring, summer and fall when there was a little occasional snow rarely but mostly temperatures in the range you are mentioning. I liked them in that application. Great cornering on a 2,800 lb car good grip and traction. I didn't have problems in the wet with them either. Much better than the summer Primacy tires my 86 came with.

Sorry I haven't run them on a Mustang. I typically always ran summers and then swapped to snow tires or parked the car in the winter. My GT350 came with the Pilot Super Sports and I think that tire is great for temperatures 46 and above. I even got caught with them a time or two in light snow or temperatures in the 20s and they did fine. I never experienced cracking, but I did avoid pushing the car in really low temperatures with the Super Sports on it. They definitely have a lot less traction when you get below 40F.

I feel they are surprisingly good in the wet. If you are on the highway and there are deep puddles you can get aquaplaning, which can be terrifying. I only had a couple incidents of that, but if you have lots of rain where you are I would go with a tire that has deeper treads than the PSS.

Sorry I don't have direct experience on your actual question, but I hope this is a little helpful. Bump the thread if nothing else.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I've been experimenting with different cold weather tires for the past couple seasons on a GT350, a Mustang GT and a GT500. I found the best 2 so far are Sottozero 3 for winters, and Continental Extremecontact DWS06 for all seasons.

If you run the winters in warmer weather they're sloppy. But 40s and below they're really good. The Continentals are more forgiving on the warmer days but definitely not for snow with their width + GT500 power.

The thing about winter tires is that once you start getting wide tires, they tend to "float" on top of the snow instead of cutting through it like the thinner (less wide) tires do.

Sizes: on a GT350 I'm running 275/40/19 rear & 255/45/19 front winters, Michelin X-Ice snow. They are true snow tires and the car just doesn't like them if it's not snowing or 50+. They feel heavy and the tread depth is cavernous.

On the Mustang GT I'm running 255/40/19s Sottozero 3s all around. Great set up.

On the GT500, The Continental DWS06s in 305/30/20s all around. Great in the cold as long as it isn't snowing.

Bottom line, go as thin as you can and pay attention to the Temps.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Ran them on my GT for a while and they worked really great. Probably the best high performance all season I have ever ran. Close to me to the Continental DWS 06

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
Same decision next fall for me. I want to use my factory Mach1 wheels for a set of all seasons. And get lighter wheels for summer. Wont drive in snow, but would like to be able to drive under 40 degrees when its a nice day. Considering the DWS06 in 285/35/19 on all 4 vs the PS AS in 283/35 on all 4 vs the PS AS in 285/35 and 325/30.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry if you’ve thought about this or whatever, but…why are you shopping for an AS in goofy sizes on an incredible car that never goes below 46°?? Any of the modern summer performance tires will be just fine down to those temps. Depending on how important it is to you, you will visually see the difference in that size tire.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've been experimenting with different cold weather tires for the past couple seasons on a GT350, a Mustang GT and a GT500. I found the best 2 so far are Sottozero 3 for winters, and Continental Extremecontact DWS06 for all seasons.

If you run the winters in warmer weather they're sloppy. But 40s and below they're really good. The Continentals are more forgiving on the warmer days but definitely not for snow with their width + GT500 power.

The thing about winter tires is that once you start getting wide tires, they tend to "float" on top of the snow instead of cutting through it like the thinner (less wide) tires do.

Sizes: on a GT350 I'm running 275/40/19 rear & 255/45/19 front winters, Michelin X-Ice snow. They are true snow tires and the car just doesn't like them if it's not snowing or 50+. They feel heavy and the tread depth is cavernous.

On the Mustang GT I'm running 255/40/19s Sottozero 3s all around. Great set up.

On the GT500, The Continental DWS06s in 305/30/20s all around. Great in the cold as long as it isn't snowing.

Bottom line, go as thin as you can and pay attention to the Temps.
Would you put the Sottozero’s ahead of the Blizzak WS90? That’s what I run currently in the winter and I’ve got probably this winter and next before I need to get new ones. Been really happy with the Blizzak, especially when it snows, but it seems the snowy days are becoming less frequent and above normal temps are becoming somewhat normal. Watch, I say that and we’ll get a big snowstorm this winter LOL

edit: the Blizzak’s are sloppy above 35-40F also

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Since I had the roush phase 2 installed, on the rear end I’ve had 275 as3+, 275 ps4s, 265 alpin 5, and 305 555r2. The all season was by far the worst performer year round dry traction. 1st and second gear were useless, if you rolled into in 3rd it might not break loose at 80mph but usually would and if I would bang 4th it’d break loose again. The 265 alpin 5 snow tires hook better at 46 degrees than the as3+. I’ve made a few test pulls around 40 degrees on the 555r2 and the ps4s and even with the width difference they performed about the same cold. Heating them up first is a different story though, then the 555r2 shines. Ps4s is better in the rain though.

If I made 526 horsepower and was never exposed to temps colder than 46F, my car would have ps4s all around year round.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Would you put the Sottozero’s ahead of the Blizzak WS90? That’s what I run currently in the winter and I’ve got probably this winter and next before I need to get new ones. Been really happy with the Blizzak, especially when it snows, but it seems the snowy days are becoming less frequent and above normal temps are becoming somewhat normal. Watch, I say that and we’ll get a big snowstorm this winter LOL

edit: the Blizzak’s are sloppy above 35-40F also
I've never experienced the Blizzaks. Read about them a lot so i know they're popular. The Sottos I'm currently using on a PP2 car and in the colder temps they ride like it's a summer tire in summer. Just a great sport tire.
Sponsored