Sponsored

Add resonator or switch cat back?

Add Borla resonator internal h pipe or switch to ma I just need magnaflow street catback?

• Total voters

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2023 Mustang gt

I know I made another post the other day but I believe these are my two options. I have a Borla S type cat back only just recently put on 2M fab Cat delete pipes in but still stock manifolds. The car is very loud and I’m looking to quiet it down, but I am boosted so I’m not looking to really restrict the exhaust but just lower the car down a little bit. I can keep the Borla S type cat back and just add their resonator with the internal H pipe or I can switch out the Borla and get the magna flow Street cat back.
Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I’d add the resonator. Magnaflow exhausts have always droned terribly in my experience.

Better yet, add the Active Exhaust if you can. Best of both worlds.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Borla resonator for sure. Magnaflow would probably be louder, and drone... I have the resonator on my shopping list as I recently went Texas Speed headers and mine is. a little too loud as well..

OP
OP

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I’d add the resonator. Magnaflow exhausts have always droned terribly in my experience.

Better yet, add the Active Exhaust if you can. Best of both worlds.
Do you know how I add the active exhaust if the car didn’t come with one from the factory?

Sponsored

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I recently added 2 Resonators to my setup and happy with the sound and no impact on performance in terms of restriction. This was done after going 🐈 less... Drone is still prese t though probably not as bad. The stock resonator is a restrictive point. I'd go with a set of resonators for sure.

Vibrant Resonators. 👌

20240321_091048.jpg

20240321_083956.jpg

OP
OP

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I recently added 2 Resonators to my setup and happy with the sound and no impact on performance in terms of restriction. This was done after going 🐈 less... Drone is still prese t though probably not as bad. The stock resonator is a restrictive point. I'd go with a set of resonators for sure.

Vibrant Resonators. 👌

20240321_091048.jpg

20240321_083956.jpg
I wouldn’t be putting a stock resonator back in. I would be putting the Borla resonator internal H pipe in in place of the Borla X pipe that came with the Borla S type cat back.

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I understood that but perhaps other viewers may not realize the difference.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Absolutely go with the borla resonator

Sponsored
OP
OP

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I understood that but perhaps other viewers may not realize the difference.
OK, just wasn’t sure. I do like your idea of the resonators, but I really don’t wanna weld in resonators and cut up the cat back in case I want to sell it down the road. But I really at that point that I have to do something, and I think the borla resonator might be the easiest thing and just hope for the best, you know .

CUL8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT vert. PP1, 401A, AE, 6spd, ESS G2/G3
Following this thread as I too am considering removing my H pipe and going with a resonator. I'm boosted and recently added the GESi high flow cats. Now, even with AE, the car is louder than I'm comfortable with (read avoid the damn popo) in Normal Mode. Anyone in a similar situation and happy with the res they added. Also, I just have stock exhaust, not Borla. Considering Borla and the Vibrant mentioned here but want to hear from others before purchasing.
Thanks all!

Last edited:

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 2022 F150
Resonators will not really quiet the car that much. On my truck I added a resonator and it took out maybe-5-6dB....not really much for you to perceive by listening imo. It does cancel out the extra resonance though. I honestly think you should add additional mufflers (like a Vibrant ultra) if you really wanna tone it down. The E series Magnaflow on my Mustang was quite the difference in volume reduction over the Roush that was initially on there.

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle

Vibrant Resonators. 👌

20240321_091048.jpg

20240321_083956.jpg
did they take out a lot of rasp?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Borla resonator. Or you can get some high flow cats like someone else in the thread did. Or find a set of the GT500 cats (they would require some retrofitting but I believe at least one person here has done it, could be mistaken though).
Sponsored