You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
This car will be a massive hit no matter what the weight is, 90% of buyers will never put this car to the test. If you want earth shattering statistics, go buy an exotic.

This car really shouldn’t be compared to the C8. When have we ever compared the mustang to a Corvette? The only discussion should be GM’s timing to steal thunder out from underneath it. Mustangs are compared to Camaros, Challengers and other domestic sports cars, and in my opinion it has shattered them all. The fact that people are now comparing the GT500 to the Corvette says more about the GT500 than the Corvette.

I can see why the very small amount of people who will track this car care, but the Mustang is a mass produced, domestic muscle car. Always has been, always will be. Them going after both track and drag enthusiasts was brilliant and they did a remarkable job. I get a kick outta people thinking they know better, shoulda, coulda, woulda.....

Personally I don’t care how much it weighs because, much like the majority of us, I’ll be packing the trunk with foldable chairs, coolers and sunscreen to head to car shows and enjoying driving it with my family.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm surprised - it's heavier than I expected. I guess it's something to talk about.

The most important things to me in a car are whether it's fun to drive and will it hold up on the track. We all know that it takes lots of hardware to keep a car cool on track. Add lots of power and you need even more cooling.

I wish the GT500 were lighter, but it makes a LOT of power and Ford has been saying it will hold up on track.

I bet the GT500 will be an absolute riot to drive on track. Just insane. Really looking forward to seeing the reviews.

Yeah, you have to let the performance speak for itself, then if you feel there's some kind of deficit, THEN it's probably a good time to come back and address what factors contributed to the issue(s), and __maybe__ then, the weight might be a consideration.

It's one of those sum-of-the-parts things: if it's awesome, fast, and has great track endurance, puts down crazy 1/4 mile numbers, is a blast to drive, and the overall ownership experience is awesome (even including things like the exclusivity / Shelby history), then who cares how much it weighs.

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I'm looking forward to the weight of the CFTP.

Does anyone know what the B&O subwoofer components weigh in at?

I read that the Mach 460 sub + hardware weighed in around 40 lbs. but was unable to find the weight of the B&O sub system.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm looking forward to the weight of the CFTP.

Does anyone know what the B&O subwoofer components weigh in at?

I read that the Mach 460 sub + hardware weighed in around 40 lbs. but was unable to find the weight of the B&O sub system.
I will let you know. I plan to remove all the fluff for Daytona (seats, battery, tire inflator, subwoofer, windshield fluid, etc). I will weigh before and after.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The ZL1 1LE is 3860 lbs for the MT. Auto adds another 60 lbs. The ZL1 1LE also has 11 heat exhangers for cooling.

No question, the GT500 is a porker. That is the weight of 2 Lotus Exiges.

I would think more than 55% of the GT500 weight will be up front. This will require a lot of energy and kinematics to turn/handle which means faster wear/tear and high cost of consumables.

As Jeremy Clarkson famously said - Weight ruins everything.

Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I will let you know. I plan to remove all the fluff for Daytona (seats, battery, tire inflator, subwoofer, windshield fluid, etc). I will weigh before and after.
Cool. The "no fluff" data will be useful.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The ZL1 1LE is 3860 lbs for the MT. Auto adds another 60 lbs. The ZL1 1LE also has 11 heat exhangers for cooling.

I would think more than 55% of the GT500 weight will be up front. This will require a lot of energy and kinematics to turn/handle.

As Jeremy Clarkson famously said - Weight ruins everything.
ZL1 1LE is 5.9 pounds per HP.

The GT500 is 5.6 pounds per HP in its heaviest version.

Definitely the GT500 will walk away from the ZL1 1LE - at least in a straight line. I expect the CFTP version to also beat the ZL1 1LE on track - and without having a horrendous ride like the Camaro does. The CFTP will have an even better power to weight ratio than the base GT500.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Cool. The "no fluff" data will be useful.
Im hoping by the time its all done, 3.9 or 4.0. However you are correct, it would be nice to know the CFTP weight right now. Then its just simple math.

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
no they dont. noone looks at 0-60 or top speed anymore

If you care about those #s, id say 90% chance you have never tried to attain them in real life.

HP sells, dynos sell, lap times sell

and most importantly, driving videos and reviews sell

Wait until it gets into the hands of some people, either magazine or private owners. The we will know if its the shit, or shit.

Until then, buyers are lined up

Agree 100%. All this speculation is nauseating. Although I am pissed they didn’t just put a flux capacitor in it! I mean cmon Ford we want to time travel too!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

So 3920 is svelte, but ~4120 is fat bastard?

"But the GT500 is 4225"

Correct, I took a small liberty for a more accurate comparison since you specifically said the 1LE variant, and compared vs. the CFTP, which I estimated would be ~105 lbs lighter vs. the base model. I also used the automatic weight for the ZL1 1LE as more of matched comparison.

I mean, certainly less weight is better, but I think 200 lbs difference in cars that are both hovering around 4K isn't all that dramatic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can see the GT500 touching 9’s on occasion.

The car is heavy. That is lame. No way around it.

Bout it’s also powerful and puts the power down exceptionally well.

The top speed came down quite a bit from the ‘13-‘14 cars which were less aerodynamic, less powerful, and had 1 less gear.

I am guessing that is due to Ford maximizing accel with the DCT ratios.

It’s going to blow the tires off 0-60. Probably low 3s on a great launch. But stellar 1320 and roadholding.

Should beat the Demon minus the tire glue in straight line most of the time in real-world racing.
What people are underestimating is the cooling. Thye installed enough cooling that it could maintain 760hp for the duration of a tank full of gas. that's nuts. Like how easy it is to add timing and increase the boost on that? Shit then you throw E85 on it? I mean come on. I think the only limitation is the tranny. You'll have to swap that out for weight and durability and really that's nothing.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I’m going to throw a number out. I’m going 10.6@135. Atco or Cecil this fall. She’s a big girl! And that’s alot to get moving off the line. Makes me feel like my 4070 race weight is dainty now.:giggle:I’m also going to bet the carbon model beats the 1Le. I can totally understand why Ford saved this bomb for last.:facepalm:
We still need official performance figures...just estimates right now correct?

Also people have been complaining for YEARS about the lack of cooling and track readiness of the Mustangs. I believe Ford decided to make sure this thing would be ready for track use even if it meant added weight beyond what they were hoping.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
So after reading that... I am looking for a career change. any path advice you care to share? LOL
Get into Software Engineering and marry a smart beautiful Engineer woman as well. If one loses a job the other can still support the entire family. You are looking at a $300 grand household salary in low 30's lol.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
My Ecoboost weighs about 3500 lbs. I think I'll just mod that instead.
Sponsored