Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
We dont know how well the GT500 will do at the track, it has some heft to it, the big ass brakes slows the car down fast AF sure, but what about after multiple laps? The heaviest car we know of that is good at the track is the ZL1 1LE. So maybe this new GT500 will be the same, but up to this point we dont know how a 4100lb car will do.

btw, if you've done any road course driving its the light cars that can late brake. Miatas were late braking at the top of laguna seca while I had to brake 25-40 feet before they did in my viper. My viper is in the low 33xxlbs.

We know GT500 isnt a track car, thats what the GT350R is for, but people claim it will beat a ZL1 1LE without any evidence. Too soon junior.
What about multiple laps? Ford has already stated this car has been tested to run continuously…to a completely empty tank without issue.

You’ll also notice I made no claims. I only stated, the weight doesn’t matter if the performance shines. Make no mistake, it makes it more difficult to perform with the extra heft. It doesn’t make it impossible…or even improbable.

In regards to late breaking, you undoubtedly carry more speed into the corners and therefore are slowing down from a higher velocity. The Miata’s can break later because they are going slower. If your viper and Miata’s were running the same speed into the corner, your car will be able to break later even though it weighs more. Your breaks are better, you have more contact area and likely have a higher coefficient of friction on your tires. This GT500 is going to be able to break much later than your viper.

Really? Then why exactly is the GT500 tacking on all the CF parts? This car has been heavily marketed as a weapon for the 'track'. Look at all the marketing videos and brochures...

The ZL1 1LE is a no compromise driver's tool that absolutely works on track and still works as a canyon carver (If you remove the stock track tires and replace with Michelin PS4S). It gives a track day warrior every single tool for adjust ability which is the way it needs to be. That's like saying a 991 GT3 RS only works on the track. Ultimately every one of these cars have to work on the street otherwise it makes no sense.

To think weight doesn't matter is being delusional. In a world where every manufacturer is looking at incorporating light weight materials and CF to lower the center of gravity,, the GT500 seems like an exercise in simply slapping a big ass supercharger and supplemental cooling which is coupled to a DCT.

Imagine how much weight they could've lost by incorporating CF on the roof and hood. They could've incorporating these into the GT350/R as well to get economies of scale and thereby cut production costs....
The CF parts are for it to compete (or beat) the 1LE….duh. And again, the 1LE performs like shit on public roads…per every single magazine reviewer on the face of the earth. I could go back an paraphrase all of them, but it’s not worth my time. You’ve read them, I’m sure. Again, the GT500 carbon pack will undoubtedly be a better daily driver. If it proves to be a better track car, will be a slap in the fact to the 1LE.

Again, please find anywhere that I stated weight doesn’t matter. It’s a part of the equation, sure…but it does NOT mean utter doom for performance.

Again, I pose the same question to both of you. Does the weight really matter if it outperforms the ZL1 and ZL1 LE in every facet?
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Get into Software Engineering and marry a smart beautiful Engineer woman as well. If one loses a job the other can still support the entire family. You are looking at a $300 grand household salary in low 30's lol.
Only issue with that is that a good chunk of the pay comes from bonuses and RSU vestments. But if you can live and save on the base salary (which is still decent), you can treat the rest as play/early retirement money.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Nobody cares how much or how little you make. You have been on the threads bashing the GT500 from day one. If you read my original comment I stated lots of people lots of people need an excuse to justify not buying a car that they can't afford not all. You obviously fit into the category of the person who wants to raing on the GT500 buyer's parade essentially saying "My modded GT is better because..." I haven't seen anyone bashing you doing so. You have built cars specifically for drag racing. Just like a stock Mustang GT is to f#&king slow you made a decision to buy them and modify them. I doubt many people bashed your decision to do so.
And you've been making douchebag comments about what people can and cannot afford. Since you showed up. If you read my first post in this thread. I said I thought the car would run mid 10s and beat a ZLe. Some f@#king bashing right there? Huh knucklehead?. Since your buying the car to park in your garage. You dont understand those comments are compliments. If that's raining on your little GT500 parade. You need your head checked. You don't plan to race the car. You dont care about how much it weighs. All you want is a brand name. To go with your Gucci purse. So let the big boys that do actually care about how the car performs talk. Its not shitting on the car pointing out the obvious. And its obviously heavy.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
I'm not gonna complain about the weight so much as I'd like to know where the increase came from. Were there any structural changes?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You dont care about how much it weighs. All you want is a brand name to go with your Gucci purse. So let the big boys that do actually care about how the car performs talk.
:giggle:

Sponsored

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
And you've been making douchebag comments about what people can and cannot afford. Since you showed up. If you read my first post in this thread. I said I thought the car would run mid 10s and beat a ZLe. Some f@#king bashing right there? Huh knucklehead?. Since your buying the car to park in your garage. You dont understand those comments are compliments. If that's raining on your little GT500 parade. You need your head checked. You don't plan to race the car. You dont care about how much it weighs. All you want is a brand name. To go with your Gucci purse. So let the big boys that do actually care about how the car performs talk. Its not shitting on the car pointing out the obvious. And its obviously heavy.
Just another poor boy ranting. Tisk tisk. Alms for the poor tiny tim???

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
You know what, I like bacon so any of you who don’t feel free to go to the fiat thread.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
I'm not gonna complain about the weight so much as I'd like to know where the increase came from. Were there any structural changes?
Supercharger w/accompanying cooling radiators/hardware , DCT, and suspension parts definitely added weight.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Just another poor boy ranting. Tisk tisk. Alms for the poor tiny tim???
Are you still typing? Shouldn't you be out looking for a designer dress to match your purse?

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
What about multiple laps? Ford has already stated this car has been tested to run continuously…to a completely empty tank without issue.

You’ll also notice I made no claims. I only stated, the weight doesn’t matter if the performance shines. Make no mistake, it makes it more difficult to perform with the extra heft. It doesn’t make it impossible…or even improbable.

In regards to late breaking, you undoubtedly carry more speed into the corners and therefore are slowing down from a higher velocity. The Miata’s can break later because they are going slower. If your viper and Miata’s were running the same speed into the corner, your car will be able to break later even though it weighs more. Your breaks are better, you have more contact area and likely have a higher coefficient of friction on your tires. This GT500 is going to be able to break much later than your viper.

The CF parts are for it to compete (or beat) the 1LE….duh. And again, the 1LE performs like shit on public roads…per every single magazine reviewer on the face of the earth. I could go back an paraphrase all of them, but it’s not worth my time. You’ve read them, I’m sure. Again, the GT500 carbon pack will undoubtedly be a better daily driver. If it proves to be a better track car, will be a slap in the fact to the 1LE.

Again, please find anywhere that I stated weight doesn’t matter. It’s a part of the equation, sure…but it does NOT mean utter doom for performance.

Again, I pose the same question to both of you. Does the weight really matter if it outperforms the ZL1 and ZL1 LE in every facet?
Lol, you cant quote the manufacturer. Ford said the GT350 is a track car, but if you didnt order the track pack, you dont have a trans cooler. Now all the GT350 cars have a trans cooler.

And yes, weight absolutely matters, we will see if this car can beat a Z 1LE on the track, it will need to.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Lol, you cant quote the manufacturer. Ford said the GT350 is a track car, but if you didnt order the track pack, you dont have a trans cooler. Now all the GT350 cars have a trans cooler.

And yes, weight absolutely matters, we will see if this car can beat a Z 1LE on the track, it will need to.
You're still not getting it. Does weight matter if it can outperform the Zl1 and Zl1 1LE?

The answer is obviously no, weight is not what matters here, performance is. Weight is an input. Performance is an output. We're talking basic X and Y concepts here.

EDIT:

And from my point of view, anyone who bitched about overheating should have ordered the "Track Pack". It's in the name for petes sake. By adding the extra cooler and bits in, they just raised the price of the car for the people that had no desire to track the car.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
You're still not getting it. Does weight matter if it can outperform the Zl1 and Zl1 1LE?

The answer is obviously no, weight is not what matters here, performance is. Weight is an input. Performance is an output. We're talking basic X and Y concepts here.

EDIT:

And from my point of view, anyone who bitched about overheating should have ordered the "Track Pack". It's in the name for petes sake. By adding the extra cooler and bits in, they just raised the price of the car for the people that had no desire to track the car.
I dissgree about the coolers. GM sold the ZL1 with coolers. And at a price point equql to the shelbys. There supposed to be track cars. They should be track capable.

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
Of the 5000 gt500’s Produced, how many make it to the track? 100, 1000? 5000? My guess is less than a couple hundred. Ford knows what they are doing. This is a cool car, most wont track. Those that do will have an exceptional platform to start from, those that don’t will still have an exceptional platform.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I dissgree about the coolers. GM sold the ZL1 with coolers. And at a price point equql to the shelbys. There supposed to be track cars. They should be track capable.
The 2015 Shelby GT350 started at $49,900 without the track pack. They gave the public what they wanted, a starting price under $50k. If it hadn't been for markups, I likely would have chosen that car over a performance pack.

The 2017 ZL1 started at a shade over $62k. I'm sorry, these were not in the same pricepoint.

Last edited:

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
The 2015 Shelby GT500 started at $49,900 without the track pack. They gave the public what they wanted, a starting price under $50k. If it hadn't been for markups, I likely would have chosen that car over a performance pack.

The 2017 ZL1 started at a shade over $62k. I'm sorry, these were not in the same pricepoint.
There was no 15 GT500, also the base GT500 was already $55k https://jalopnik.com/2013-shelby-gt500-pricing-starts-at-54-995-5893536. A loaded glass roof GT500 was $65k.
Sponsored