Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Those mods (with no tune) should not cause that.
Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
We know that but you are changing intake tubing that's not there design

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
Only because you work there and they lied to Ford. We all know they will void warranty with CAI tune or no tune
:lol:next your be saying if you dont have your oil changes done at the dealer they will void your warranty. Its illegal they cant, with a tune is different issue.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
OP if you live in VA, we have one of the best lemon laws in the country. I suggest you look into it. One of the ways to make a claim is if the vehicle is out of service for at least 30 days within the first 18 months of ownership. And if your repair requires a short block that they don't have in stock, it sounds like they're telling you to drive it to not count against their days down or avoid you trying to get a loaner or rental vehicle. Which is bullshit, if they determined you need a short block I would not want to rely on that car to drive daily...just saying read up on the VA lemon law.

http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

4thstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
06 Tungsten GT vert
Sorry to hear about your engine.
A few observations:

1. Roush says on their website that their CAI will NOT void factory warranty.
2. If your idle was fluctuating sounds like you had an intake leak. ie, tubes were not lined up right or clamps were not tight. Did it set the check engine light on? Why didn't you take it into the dealer to have them check it out?

3. If you went 6-7k miles without checking your oil, shame on you.
You say that the filter was leaking, but you didn't notice the oil stains on the ground under your car?
4. Coolant leaking onto serpentine belt would cause a screeching noise.

5. They're letting you drive it with the engine knocking????

Brian S.
06 GT vert

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and here is my situation and "advice"

So I get my car and break the engine in etc, but it has been acting strange.

At lights it would want to stall out. Idle would go below 600, and car would give itself gas to stay on. I honestly didn't think too much into it as it didnt seem to be a problem.

First oil change, only 2 quarts came out from the engine. The freaking Factory oil filter had a leak on it. It was not tightened all the way from factory.

I changed it with Royal Purple and a K&N Filter. Not too much longer from this time.

I bought a Roush exhaust and intake around 9k Miles.

Then I found the hose from engine to the coolant has been leaking, on both sides of the hose??

Around this time a screeching noise from the intake manifold also developed.

I went into ford to drop the car off for all the warranty issues and of course they did not have a car and the drop off was scheduled to a Monday from friday.

Well on Sunday, I was doing light sunday driving and when I was going under a bridge, I heard clicking from the sound that was echoed from the car.

This is my worst nightmare... I knew something was up. By the time I got home, less than 3 miles, the noise was audible inside the cabin as well.

I took it to FORD on monday, babying it. The car would only knock /Click above 3k RPM.

I work at the dealership so I was around the mechanics and they determined the knock was under the engine on Cylinder #5.

The mechanics said my warranty is voided because of the Intake. I have 2 mods, roush intake and CAI.

They were DETERMINED that the engine was f****ed and I am not covered since I put a CAI.

Well I made it to the Service Manager's office before the main mechanic and the service writer and I old him what I had on the car and that I babied this car.

The mechanic said it should not be covered because of performance mods. He really wanted to not help me for some reason... when they all drive transformer of cars like a CAI can cause a brand new engine to fail.

Well now the car is getting a brand new short block, it is funny because they do not know how long it will take to get the engine since it is such new production. ( I thought they were using the V6 for years in the mustang, maybe I am missing something?)

But at least I am happy I do not have to spend thousands to get a new engine.

My "advice" to anyone is that while the car is under warranty, do not put mods. Honestly only mod I would have put would be the CAI and take that out when going to Dealership and put it back to stock.

The extra noise or the 2-3 added hp is just not worth it.

Ford is ready to give these cars away like candy, but the will find any reason to void warranty as this should not be a surprise to anyone here.

My other advice is that, change your oil at 1000-2000 miles. I did not do this. I read a lot about changing oild at close intervals to get the thrash out of the engine. I let the first oil run until 6-7k miles before changing it.

Honestly, other than the oil change maybe I would have caught that oil filter being loose earlier and Ford oil and filter is sh*t anyway.

I think the v6 s are cheap enough that they do not put much attention to them, with the panels being all weird etc.

I would recommend keeping good care of it and not modifying until you know the engine is good.

This is my experience with this brand and car so far. I wanted to share it because one day you might be looking for your next mod, one day you are looking how to finance $6000 in repairs.

I never, ever pushed my car when it was cold. when this happened the car had normal oil level. I always watched my oil pressure and temperature.

What I noticed however a week prior to this problem was hesitation in acceleration, and the fuel/air ratio being off. If you see your engine having weird, unstable air fuel ratio, I would take it to FORD right away, even if they cant find anything it will be logged if there is a problem.

That being said, I love my car, the looks, the way it drives, the way it sits on the road. We also own a x5 twin turbo diesel v6. I rather drive my mustang.

My plan is to get the GT once the car comes back to me, I will take the mods off and sell it.

Thank you for reading, and good luck on your car being reliable for ya!

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
:lol:next your be saying if you dont have your oil changes done at the dealer they will void your warranty. Its illegal they cant, with a tune is different issue.

WELL only for you :lol:.

OP
OP
Metaflame

Metaflame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
We know that but you are changing intake tubing that's not there design
Yes but there cars have a computer that picks up changes and adjusts itself to a certain degree. So it is a mod-able car, it is how it is marketed. I just think Ford shouldnt be so close minded about taking care of their customers.

I just watched a video on the GT350R and their factory intake is pretty much the same thing as a Roush intake. The intake box to the intake tubing.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yes but there cars have a computer that picks up changes and adjusts itself to a certain degree. So it is a mod-able car, it is how it is marketed. I just think Ford shouldnt be so close minded about taking care of their customers.

I just watched a video on the GT350R and their factory intake is pretty much the same thing as a Roush intake. The intake box to the intake tubing.
The op was also using a Roush intake. I don't see why it would even be a problem the mechanic was being a dick about it. Roush is known to be making compatible parts for Ford for ages.

OP
OP
Metaflame

Metaflame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Sorry to hear about your engine.
A few observations:

1. Roush says on their website that their CAI will NOT void factory warranty.
2. If your idle was fluctuating sounds like you had an intake leak. ie, tubes were not lined up right or clamps were not tight. Did it set the check engine light on? Why didn't you take it into the dealer to have them check it out?

3. If you went 6-7k miles without checking your oil, shame on you.
You say that the filter was leaking, but you didn't notice the oil stains on the ground under your car?
4. Coolant leaking onto serpentine belt would cause a screeching noise.

5. They're letting you drive it with the engine knocking????

Brian S.
06 GT vert

Honestly I read about the engine oil needing to be changed close intervals in a brand new engine later on I bought the car. Although it is shown that it is the proper thing to do, Ford doesnt say anything in the manual to my knowledge.

I did read into the lemon law. It is a very good point you brought up because they did say that they dont know when the engine will arrive at all.

When I drove it home today it seemed like problem is getting worse slowly.

Although the idle was fluctuating, this happened when the car was around 5-6k miles and it was very mild, nothing I could replicate to show to the dealer and as you know they say if they cant replicate they cant do anything.

I got the intake 2 weeks ago. I had a silent noise around the vacuum that sounded like a noisy throttle body, at idle it screeched. But when you gave it the slightest gas, it would disappear.

When it comes to the leaky oil filter, I do not think it leaked at all in my driveway.

I park in the same spot in front of my house and there are no oil stains.

I think they didnt tighten the oil filter properly and whenever I pushed the car some would leak slowly.

That being said, I do agree that I should have periodically checked my oil. But this car has the dumbest indicator and it is so hard to read and car ran just fine and I monitored the oil pressure and temperature and clynder head temp constantly as I drive and nothing was ever unusual.

Do you think it is a better idea to give the car back? I am going to ask the tomorrow if my "service" started when I brough the car in for service or when the engine comes in. And also do you know in the case of a lemon law, what is my reimbursement.

Thank you for your time reading and responding.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Why you continued to drive a car that was making horrible noise is beyond me. So since they cant take it you continue drive it more? Thats just stupid. you probably caused way more damage doing this. Im qualified to say that. Im an ex ford master tech and been a master tech at 4 dealers iver the past 25 years. The tech assumed you were another typical idiot(not saying you are) that ruins his cars by modifications. More times then not a modded car dies because of its mods. The 3.7 is usually a pretty low issue motor. What he did was unprofessional though.

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

So that's GT350 not V6 mustang. Close mind what next do you think they should overlook because you say so? Tune? Long tube headers? Supercharger? Turbo? Making the car a race car? Where does it end who should make decision if warranty should cover it the owner because they think it can't hurt it or manufacturer?

Tech a dick for doing his job? He wasn't denying warranty he was reporting

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
So that's GT350 not V6 mustang. Close mind what next do you think they should overlook because you say so? Tune? Long tube headers? Supercharger? Turbo? Making the car a race car? Where does it end who should make decision if warranty should cover it the owner because they think it can't hurt it or manufacturer?
I think you have no basic idea how intakes work on cars giving the comments you make. An intake is nothing but a filter and some tubing. As long as the diameter is correct, it will have no effect on the reliability and can be used on any engine you like. The mechanic was being unprofessional and the manager knew better.

OP
OP
Metaflame

Metaflame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Why you continued to drive a car that was making horrible noise is beyond me. So since they cant take it you continue drive it more? Thats just stupid. you probably caused way more damage doing this. Im qualified to say that. Im an ex ford master tech and been a master tech at 4 dealers iver the past 25 years. The tech assumed you were another typical idiot(not saying you are) that ruins his cars by modifications. More times then not a modded car dies because of its mods. The 3.7 is usually a pretty low issue motor. What he did was unprofessional though.
Not sure what you are referencing or if you read the content.

The car is waiting for a new engine and there is a slight knock 2-3k RPM. It has been established it needs a new engine.

At this point getting it fixed is not a problem. I am just wondering if it is better to drop it off and try to benefit from the lemon law so I can shoot for a GT.

Other than that, 3.7 is a nice engine just like the 5.0 I am very happy with the performance. I had a Mazda 3 2.5 before this and honestly I think any engine has potential to upgrade. I once went head to head with a Supercharged BRZ who is my neighbor on a launch and it had bunch of mods.

"So that's GT350 not V6 mustang. Close mind what next do you think they should overlook because you say so? Tune? Long tube headers? Supercharger? Turbo? Making the car a race car? Where does it end who should make decision if warranty should cover it the owner because they think it can't hurt it or manufacturer?

Tech a dick for doing his job? He wasn't denying warranty he was reporting"

I never called him a dick but yes he was being one. But as jasonstang said, a CAI is not what you might think it is. And my car, v6 comes with iron headers that rust horribly. So yes I would think about stainless headers.

I dont think turbo, supercharger or tune obviously should be covered but if you cant agree exhaust and intake are not modest mods I would question your understanding as well. I do not know if you are a take your car to service kinda guy that just knows how to wash to make it shine the best but honestly, I would not even consider the free flow roush exhaust (which is the same model for the V8 roush exhaust, so you see the general usage) and roush intake that looks completely same production as a car that is built by Ford as well.

So I do think I have the right to "upgrade" not "mod" these parts as these parts rather help it work the way it is designed by ford and not force, like turbos and superchargers.

Thanks for replying.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think you have no basic idea how intakes work on cars giving the comments you make. An intake is nothing but a filter and some tubing. As long as the diameter is correct, it will have no effect on the reliability and can be used on any engine you like. The mechanic was being unprofessional and the manager knew better.
Really I thought that's where exhaust come out.

I'm a tech and I'm betting I know far more how these system work than you. SO you say as long there same dia as stock no harm no foul how did you come up with this? I bet answer is I read it internet. You put this out there have anything to back this up? More I read it on internet. Tech did his job get over it. You seem to forget he works at said dealership. Also we have no idea what there work relationship is these 2 guys may have had words at one time who knows. If he wanted to be a dick as you say he could call Ford direct, take pics of CAI and send them in. Service manager gave him a break because he WORKS there. But you know full well if you drove in off the street with engine knocking you wouldn't get the same.

Last edited:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not sure what you are referencing or if you read the content.

The car is waiting for a new engine and there is a slight knock 2-3k RPM. It has been established it needs a new engine.

At this point getting it fixed is not a problem. I am just wondering if it is better to drop it off and try to benefit from the lemon law so I can shoot for a GT.

Other than that, 3.7 is a nice engine just like the 5.0 I am very happy with the performance. I had a Mazda 3 2.5 before this and honestly I think any engine has potential to upgrade. I once went head to head with a Supercharged BRZ who is my neighbor on a launch and it had bunch of mods.

"So that's GT350 not V6 mustang. Close mind what next do you think they should overlook because you say so? Tune? Long tube headers? Supercharger? Turbo? Making the car a race car? Where does it end who should make decision if warranty should cover it the owner because they think it can't hurt it or manufacturer?

Tech a dick for doing his job? He wasn't denying warranty he was reporting"

I never called him a dick but yes he was being one. But as jasonstang said, a CAI is not what you might think it is. And my car, v6 comes with iron headers that rust horribly. So yes I would think about stainless headers.

I dont think turbo, supercharger or tune obviously should be covered but if you cant agree exhaust and intake are not modest mods I would question your understanding as well. I do not know if you are a take your car to service kinda guy that just knows how to wash to make it shine the best but honestly, I would not even consider the free flow roush exhaust (which is the same model for the V8 roush exhaust, so you see the general usage) and roush intake that looks completely same production as a car that is built by Ford as well.

So I do think I have the right to "upgrade" not "mod" these parts as these parts rather help it work the way it is designed by ford and not force, like turbos and superchargers.

Thanks for replying.
Call it upgrade or mod both are the same just how you want to see it. Roush CAI doesn't look exactly the same as factory and Ford didn't build it. If it was exactly the same then why change it? I don't care you do to your car just don't complain when you get caught. We can go any car forum, every brand and any model there is someone saying MY mod or "upgrade" didn't cause my problem but they denied my warranty. This is everyday this is going on
Sponsored

Last edited: