Sponsored

2015 V6 Engine Blown @ 13k

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
there is some haziness in this thread, but if I was to take a wild guess, I would guess it was a bad oil change by the dealership at time of car purchase, considering the the car had 240 miles, that set of a chain of events. Doubting anyone can prove anything, so hopefully they can just rebuild the engine soon and everyone is reasonably happy.

Oil Change Horror Stories - Lehto's Law Ep. 41
[ame]

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Moral of the story ... do your own oil changes. I highly doubt many shops will let the customer stand there and watch the guy doing the work like he suggests.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
^^^ Moral of the story ... do your own oil changes. I highly doubt many shops will let the customer stand there and watch the guy doing the work like he suggests.
I have no idea why this car had 240 miles on it. But my guess is the dealership drove it around a bit, then gave it an oil change and a car wash, stuck the window sticker back on it, and sold it as new.

Then again, 240 miles isn't much, so it's hard to imagine them bothering with an oil change.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then again, 240 miles isn't much, so it's hard to imagine them bothering with an oil change.
That's my thought too ... no need to change oil & filter at 240 miles. I don't recall if the OP actually had proof they did or not?

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
That's my thought too ... no need to change oil & filter at 240 miles. I don't recall if the OP actually had proof they did or not?
the oil change was pure speculation on my part. If they did do that, it would be very difficult to know they did that. Probably used an OEM oil filter.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I only speculated on the oil change because odds of a factory defect causing an oil problem are very small. Odds of a dealership slopping an oil change are much greater.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil filter could have been loose from the factory, and started leaking after some driving.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
possible, but I think that's very unlikely. Manufacturers run a tight QC ship.

Dealerships and and drive through oil change shops, on the other hand, refer to the video above. It's likely some kid they hired off the street that "likes cars", with varying degrees of mechanical aptitude and supervision.

Sponsored

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
With all the QC issues reported on the S550s ... I'm not sure I agree with that statement.
Plenty of similar stories on other cars as well. (youtube)

its funny to watch the hellcat videos on the quality. We talk about the mustang being a rental car, try 70k for a hellcat engine in a rental car body. lol

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I only speculated on the oil change because odds of a factory defect causing an oil problem are very small. Odds of a dealership slopping an oil change are much greater.
They are small, but they happen. Friend is a tech at the local Ford dealer and told me he had a blown ecoboost motor from a factory oil filter that had a pinhole in it. Stuff like that is rare, but it happens. Stuff like body panel misalignment and the drivetrain vibration problem are quite widespread, though and they create a general perception of poor quality.

OP
OP
Metaflame

Metaflame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
They are small, but they happen. Friend is a tech at the local Ford dealer and told me he had a blown ecoboost motor from a factory oil filter that had a pinhole in it. Stuff like that is rare, but it happens. Stuff like body panel misalignment and the drivetrain vibration problem are quite widespread, though and they create a general perception of poor quality.
well said friend

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I believe it. Still, if we assume the dealership changed the oil, since the car had 240 miles on it, I would place the odds of an engine oil low situation at:

1% chance factory defect
99% chance oil change guy messed something up

body panel and drivetrain QC is probably in a different category than engines, because the car was totally redesigned for 2015.

Timbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 base mustang v6
Blown Engine on my 16 v6 base auto

Hit 1500 miles. Babied the car. Changed oil at 250 miles. Rollin down interstate at 70, middle lane start hearing a noise. After mile or two, turn down radio. Noise bad, very bad. Pull over. Quickly look at cylinder head temp before it stalls and dies with knocking. Head temp, 260 degrees. Pop hood, full coolant. No warning from temp indicator, no warning from dash, nothin. Dealer advises rod bearing separation inside motor. Dealer pays for rental and tow. Advises 10 day repair, getting new engine. Calls three days later, your cars ready. They didn't swap the engine. They got a new block, rod, cylinder, and replaced everything from the first engine to the new block. I wouldn't trust the car. Traded it in, bought same car. Paying 20 a month more because of the issue. Not happy, but no other recourse. Sucks.
Sponsored