10r80 Issue

Zsmith1414

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey so I have a 2019 Mustang Gt 10 speed automatic with a vortech V7 JTB supercharger making around 850 hp. So the problem is whenever I take off from a complete stop the car doesn’t shift into the next gear, just keeps reving untill I manually do it with the paddles. After that it is fine, so guessing the transmission is bad, what do yall think? Is the whole thing gonna need rebuilt or just some parts replaced?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You could get a first gear delete tune. I have that and its nice. It does still drop to first if the paddles are active though.

Is your shifter in D or S position? and are you sure the paddles arent activated?

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hey so I have a 2019 Mustang Gt 10 speed automatic with a vortech V7 JTB supercharger making around 850 hp. So the problem is whenever I take off from a complete stop the car doesn’t shift into the next gear, just keeps reving untill I manually do it with the paddles. After that it is fine, so guessing the transmission is bad, what do yall think? Is the whole thing gonna need rebuilt or just some parts replaced?
Mine does this too and ford rebuilt it under warranty twice (once after my SC install cause i apparently have a very cool service guy at the dealership). It doesnt happen nearly as often as before, but it does happen.

This first gear delete tune sounds interesting. Ive tried starting out in 2nd a few times and dont feel a whole lot of difference. But ya, its a nasty low first gear on these lol. 4.69...wtf lol.

OP
OP
Zsmith1414

Zsmith1414

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Mine does this too and ford rebuilt it under warranty twice (once after my SC install cause i apparently have a very cool service guy at the dealership). It doesnt happen nearly as often as before, but it does happen.

This first gear delete tune sounds interesting. Ive tried starting out in 2nd a few times and dont feel a whole lot of difference. But ya, its a nasty low first gear on these lol. 4.69...wtf lol.
Dang twice and it still does it, did the dealer ever say what was the problem? Im most likely gonna go with a performance rebuild kit to handle that power but I’d just hate driving it while that happens, feels like something worse is possible to happen.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Dang twice and it still does it, did the dealer ever say what was the problem? Im most likely gonna go with a performance rebuild kit to handle that power but I’d just hate driving it while that happens, feels like something worse is possible to happen.
First time was the CDF drum. This was already a recall item and a huge problem and i was having a lot of different shifting issues (bushing in the drum slips and lets trans fluid go where it shouldn't, revised one has the bushing welded in place). I went in and and was like, "this is what its doing and im pretty certain its the CDF drum". The service guy was like, "well we'll have the tech look and figure it out" came back and said "ya it was the CDF drum" lol. since then ive had a good relationship with the service manager and the lead tech. All the guys in the service area love the car cause it sounds like a fucking jet with the centri spinning haha. So many people have sworn off this transmission because of this. Ya, its a big problem, but shit happens and Ford is owning it and fixing them. I'm just happy the issues popped up before i went boost so the dealer knew it wasn't from that.

Second time was the residual 1-2 lag that was still happening. I reached out to Scott Richardson at Richardson Performance and told him what was going on. He said it sounded like a valve body. Went to the dealer and told them and they were cool with replacing it (still under warranty mind you, even with the supercharger). That fixed it about 95%.

Every now and then I have the 1-2 lag. I reached out to Wengerd yesterday and he sent me a 1st gear delete tune so ill try that out this weekend if this rain ever stops long enough to keep the pavement dry when im not actually working.

That being said, Scott seems like a really good guy. Watch some of his videos on youtube. I believe he was a Ford Master Tech and he now specializes in the 10R80 and has his own business. If this thing starts acting up again or just lets go entirely, im thinking of having him rebuild it and beef it up for me.

Aside from the pre-revision CDF drum. I don't believe its the transmission that is causing the problems. These transmissions are rock solid and incredible, especially paired with the Coyote. I would go so far as to say its the next best auto trans Ford uses after the DCT in the GT500. Complete game changer for autos. That being said, ive had the issues with it in my Mustang, and my F150. I still love them because when they are working they are amazing. You are never out of the powerband with them. They just know where to be.

The issue lies with whatever the hell Ford does with the electrical side of things. GM puts these in everything from their trucks and SUVs to the Camaro ZL1 (a car that beats the GT500 around a track mind you) and Cadillac Blackwings. Ive not heard of any major issues with any of them. So WTF is Ford doing with their calibrations?!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First time was the CDF drum. This was already a recall item and a huge problem and i was having a lot of different shifting issues (bushing in the drum slips and lets trans fluid go where it shouldn't, revised one has the bushing welded in place). I went in and and was like, "this is what its doing and im pretty certain its the CDF drum". The service guy was like, "well we'll have the tech look and figure it out" came back and said "ya it was the CDF drum" lol. since then ive had a good relationship with the service manager and the lead tech. All the guys in the service area love the car cause it sounds like a fucking jet with the centri spinning haha. So many people have sworn off this transmission because of this. Ya, its a big problem, but shit happens and Ford is owning it and fixing them. I'm just happy the issues popped up before i went boost so the dealer knew it wasn't from that.

Second time was the residual 1-2 lag that was still happening. I reached out to Scott Richardson at Richardson Performance and told him what was going on. He said it sounded like a valve body. Went to the dealer and told them and they were cool with replacing it (still under warranty mind you, even with the supercharger). That fixed it about 95%.

Every now and then I have the 1-2 lag. I reached out to Wengerd yesterday and he sent me a 1st gear delete tune so ill try that out this weekend if this rain ever stops long enough to keep the pavement dry when im not actually working.

That being said, Scott seems like a really good guy. Watch some of his videos on youtube. I believe he was a Ford Master Tech and he now specializes in the 10R80 and has his own business. If this thing starts acting up again or just lets go entirely, im thinking of having him rebuild it and beef it up for me.

Aside from the pre-revision CDF drum. I don't believe its the transmission that is causing the problems. These transmissions are rock solid and incredible, especially paired with the Coyote. I would go so far as to say its the next best auto trans Ford uses after the DCT in the GT500. Complete game changer for autos. That being said, ive had the issues with it in my Mustang, and my F150. I still love them because when they are working they are amazing. You are never out of the powerband with them. They just know where to be.

The issue lies with whatever the hell Ford does with the electrical side of things. GM puts these in everything from their trucks and SUVs to the Camaro ZL1 (a car that beats the GT500 around a track mind you) and Cadillac Blackwings. Ive not heard of any major issues with any of them. So WTF is Ford doing with their calibrations?!
The bigger question should be:
Does anyone at Ford drive an S550 with the 10R80 and not find anything wrong with its erratic shifting …. Or continued found factory low fluid levels 6 years into production… LOL

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
The bigger question should be:
Does anyone at Ford drive an S550 with the 10R80 and not find anything wrong with its erratic shifting …. Or continued found factory low fluid levels 6 years into production… LOL
Ya there's that too. I was about half a quart low on mine.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it could be possibly something in the tune. I had 56k miles on my 10R80 with a V3jt on E making about the same hp and once in a while, the trans would do stupid shit. If you have the ability to do it, do a kam reset. See if that helps at all. Whenever my trans acts up, I do a kam reset And it starts shifting better. Unfortunately it's part of ford's learning capabilities. I do a reset probably once a month.
Having said that when I did take the transmission apart for rebuild, every single clutch had heat rash. It now has a mix of sun coast and mcleod parts. That is just my experience with it.
Sponsored