Sponsored

Season starting soon, let's talk track tires.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
So per my last post about this, the front tires are *very* shaved, but not showing cords or anything. I think I can squeeze another session from them (3x20 min, doing SCCA track night in April).
My question is; would you just use 2 new front tires after that, and consume what is left of the rears, or is it not recommended to do so. I think my rears have been heat cycled out, and they are a tad greasy when warm, but nothing I can't control with the throttle ...

Here is the pic of the fronts attached...

Many thanks

20210105_155530.jpg

20210105_155536.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
1616002842325.png

Looking at Michelin document about Sport Cup tires, they recommend a 25 psi front tire and 28 on rear; which is interesting... Ford says 28/28 for track use. I suppose end - hot pressure matters most, which is 32-36 PSI as per Michelin.

Here is the link to the full doc

https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get more life out of the rears. Tail happy isn't something I enjoy.

I'd also suggest trying out goodyear SC3 after those are dead, they last long and are great track tires. Prob not as fast as the cup 2's, but if you are thinking about sacrificing lap times to get more life out of the tire the SC3 would be great. Also consider getting a square set of wheels/tires to rotate front to back on track, that would help even the wear and get a bit more life out of them too.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hi,
So per my last post about this, the front tires are *very* shaved, but not showing cords or anything. I think I can squeeze another session from them (3x20 min, doing SCCA track night in April).
My question is; would you just use 2 new front tires after that, and consume what is left of the rears, or is it not recommended to do so. I think my rears have been heat cycled out, and they are a tad greasy when warm, but nothing I can't control with the throttle ...

Here is the pic of the fronts attached...

Many thanks

20210105_155530.jpg

20210105_155536.jpg
Iā€™d say you have another 2hrs or so of track time outta the fronts. No cords, no chunking... youā€™re good to go.

If you arenā€™t going for record lap times, Iā€™d run the rears for those 3 sessions (but thatā€™s just me.) I donā€™t mind running tires that are a little greasy as I believe it helps me fine tune throttle modulation and overall makes me a better driver.

I just swapped tires last night. My fronts probably looked like yours before my last track day. The middle tire is a front, and shows you what an additional 2 hrs of track time looks like. The rears (the good looking tires in the pic,) were heat cycled out before I got to the track for the last track day. . . But to be honest my times didnā€™t suffer nearly as bad as I thought they would. My record lap at my home track is 1:16.3 (and Iā€™m very aggressive), and my last lap with the tires as pictures was 1:18.4. Overall not a horrible performance loss.

2EDB5669-37AE-4C29-A0BF-B50D5E288D2F.jpeg

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Does anyone see that there are less choices this year? I have RE71s on my car, 305 square and they dont seem to make them anymore

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
yeah and the new version re71rs doesn't appear to be coming in 305 at least initially... so nothing from bridgestone for our cars.

I'll sound like a broken record, but I liked the sc3 better than the re71r for open track use too. slightly faster for me, but could have been conditions too, we're talking 10ths...

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm running Porsche R Cup 305/325 30ZR/19. I like them so far and they already have 1000 miles on them from another owner who has 1000 horses and is switching to R888S. The Porsche R Cups have higher tread wear but I obviously don't push the car 8/10ths like some of you track alcoholics but my G-Meter has picked up Lateral 1.20G with zero loss of traction.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I'm running Porsche R Cup 305/325 30ZR/19. I like them so far and they already have 1000 miles on them from another owner who has 1000 horses and is switching to R888S. The Porsche R Cups have higher tread wear but I obviously don't push the car 8/10ths like some of you track alcoholics but my G-Meter has picked up Lateral 1.20G with zero loss of traction.
8? :)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
1616002842325.png

Looking at Michelin document about Sport Cup tires, they recommend a 25 psi front tire and 28 on rear; which is interesting... Ford says 28/28 for track use. I suppose end - hot pressure matters most, which is 32-36 PSI as per Michelin.

Here is the link to the full doc

https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/Michelin_Care_and_Feeding.pdf
It's good information for the previous generation Sport Cup tires, but the Sport Cup 2's have different recommendations. One that both Ford and Michelin are firm about is the cold pressure - never less than 28 PSI or you risk having the tire get loose on the rim on your out-lap.

Hot pressures are in the Owner's Supplement.

My experience with MPSC2's is that they're good for about 30 heat cycles (on-track sessions) before they lose so much grip that they're a pain to drive around.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
It's good information for the previous generation Sport Cup tires, but the Sport Cup 2's have different recommendations. One that both Ford and Michelin are firm about is the cold pressure - never less than 28 PSI or you risk having the tire get loose on the rim on your out-lap.

Hot pressures are in the Owner's Supplement.

My experience with MPSC2's is that they're good for about 30 heat cycles (on-track sessions) before they lose so much grip that they're a pain to drive around.
I just reached out to Michelin to see if they recommend anything lower. At those pressures I get a push out of the car. Some of it may be alignment but I have never run square pressures on a Mustang.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Hi,
My question is; would you just use 2 new front tires after that, and consume what is left of the rears, or is it not recommended to do so. I think my rears have been heat cycled out, and they are a tad greasy when warm, but nothing I can't control with the throttle.
Where is Mass are you and what track nights are you doing? Be nice to see a fellow S550 around.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just reached out to Michelin to see if they recommend anything lower. At those pressures I get a push out of the car. Some of it may be alignment but I have never run square pressures on a Mustang.
It'll be interesting to see what Michelin says. The Owner's Supplement (2019/20) says 38F/36R hot, so it's not square. Thing is, I used to run 32 square hot (before Ford published their numbers) on the advice of a crew chief of a pro team I used to run into at the track occasionally. It makes a difference, but it's hard to tell which is actually better.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Where is Mass are you and what track nights are you doing? Be nice to see a fellow S550 around.
Hi,
I am doing Thompson Speedway on April 22'nd, and New Hampshire Motorsports park on May 13, with scca.com (tracknightinamerica.com).
I like them as they are during the week, and I can just take half a day off work, leave at noon, start at 3pm or so, back home by 8PM.
Pricing wise they are also good, 160 for members, but you get one hour only. 3 x 20 min sesssions.
I am about an hour away from both these track, and Palmer also...
Hope to see you around; I am in the GT350R most likely for these 2 events, a very remote chance I might take the M3 for a spin :)

I live in Newton, MA.

Cheers

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Cool, I've done alot of those before they are definitely a good bargain. I was actually looking at the TMS in April. I'm up route 2 in Acton.

BTW, use coupon "ThanksTireRack_6FRH4" and you can take 25% off. There are usually a few different coupons for $25 off an event.

Hi,
I am doing Thompson Speedway on April 22'nd, and New Hampshire Motorsports park on May 13, with scca.com (tracknightinamerica.com).
I like them as they are during the week, and I can just take half a day off work, leave at noon, start at 3pm or so, back home by 8PM.
Pricing wise they are also good, 160 for members, but you get one hour only. 3 x 20 min sesssions.
I am about an hour away from both these track, and Palmer also...
Hope to see you around; I am in the GT350R most likely for these 2 events, a very remote chance I might take the M3 for a spin :)

I live in Newton, MA.

Cheers

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This reminds me of a funny story from about 18 months ago. I was instructing this gent and my buddy was at the track with me. They were in the stands next to each other (unknowingly) and they watched me loop out on an off camber turn. The gent I was instructing leaned over and said ā€œI think that was my instructorā€ and my buddy replied ā€œya, he goes a little overboard when no one is in the car with himā€ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Sponsored