The big Intercooler thread.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
I appreciate the input. I’m just looking to do a mild upgrade. Turbo will remain stock so an IC, piping, turbo back exhaust, and a tune will most likely be as far as I go for engine mods. This will be a daily for me until my daughter is old enough to drive so I just want to give it a little more pep without going full build.

Are the CV piping options good as well? And forgive my ignorance but is the 2.3 MAF or MAP based? Any issues with VTA BOVs?
All the mods you are going to do will make it a much more fun car to drive. You don't need to get new charge pipes to install the IC but they add some under hood looks over the stock piping. If you reuse the stock charge pipes then do as @markayash states and remove the retaining clips from the IC end of the rubber hoses that secure the clamps to the hose so you can index the clamps for easier access when installing. You will need to remove the front fascia to install the IC easier.

The eco motor is a MAP based system so no MAF to deal with in intake tube just a MAP sensor in the IC outlet and a MAPT in the top of intake manifold.

Since you have are getting a 2017 I would also suggest looking at the ford performance tune since it includes a trans tune as well (auto trans) and does allow for you to return to the stock calibration from the program, 2018+ FP tune does not allow return to stock except by dealer. The only downside to the FP tuner is it includes a GT350 style open element air box the does not seal well to underside of hood so it will allow for increased IAT1 temps but the stock air box flows plenty well with just a drop in free flow filter.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

Cobb tuners are also very good and do allow for custom tunes.

BD
Sponsored

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I’m picking up a 2017 EB vert next week as a daily. Sorry for not clarifying that earlier.
On a vert to install most cat back systems you will need to add spacers between the rear left side subframe bracing to clear the exhaust pipe on the left side, some may come with spacers but most do not. There is the Tomei single exit on the right side for the verts with fake left side, but it is pretty loud and raspy sounding like a ricer car.

Just an FYI

BD

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
On a vert to install most cat back systems you will need to add spacers between the rear left side subframe bracing to clear the exhaust pipe on the left side, some may come with spacers but most do not. There is the Tomei single exit on the right side for the verts with fake left side, but it is pretty loud and raspy sounding like a ricer car.

Just an FYI

BD
All great info thanks! I saw someone did a custom catback using a magnaflow 1 into 2 muffler as a resonator and then straight pipe to the back. It sounded good, not raspy or like a beehive.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've got the Tomei exhaust. It only sees the car for competition. It's pretty obnoxious, but it's only 11# for the whole damned thing, so a ~40# savings over the active. The active is way better for the street, though.

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
On 2018+ the Garrett IC is a 45 min swap no need to remove front facia. It's also CARB.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I debated not taking the bumper off mine but seems like that would have been a tight fit.
I can’t imagine removing the bumper on an ecoboost is anywhere near as annoying as my GT500 lol. That splitter and belly pan are the worst.

Last edited:

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I can’t imagine removing the bumper on an ecoboost is anywhere near as annoying as my GT500 lol. That solitter and belly pan are the worst.
It’s not bad on my 2021. Can get it off in about 45 minutes.
The belly pan did have about 500 screws 😎 but some guys leave it attached to the bumper

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
On my ecoboost I leave the belly pan attached to the bumper and remove as one piece all by myself and can have it off in about 30 minutes or less. Give you much more room to get to the lower clamps at the IC that are clocked facing to the outside against the subframe rails.

BD

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
I used battery drill to remove the belly pan took less than 5 min. Took about 10 to put it back hand starting all the screws.

Not sure about pre 2018 but 2018-2023 is an easy fit need to wiggle and finesse it.

Garrett is a very nice piece of hardware I chose it simply because I've had Garrett on other cars with no issues and they make the turbo for the EB.

Worst case pull the pan try install if no fit pull the bumper.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I used battery drill to remove the belly pan took less than 5 min. Took about 10 to put it back hand starting all the screws.

Not sure about pre 2018 but 2018-2023 is an easy fit need to wiggle and finesse it.

Garrett is a very nice piece of hardware I chose it simply because I've had Garrett on other cars with no issues and they make the turbo for the EB.

Worst case pull the pan try install if no fit pull the bumper.
I just find it easier to leave the belly pan on the bumper and remove it all as a unit. Just too many screws to deal with removing just the belly pan and then fight with room to get clamps and hoses off and on the IC. I am on blood thinners so any little nick or cut bleeds for minutes so the less change of a nick or cut on my hands or arms the better IMO.

It's really just a personal preference for sure.

BD

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
Makes sense I never removed the bumper before so I avoided it to derisk. I do always wear one med duty glove and one light duty glove when working on the car. Has save me endless blood and pain.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have never been able to work on vehicles with gloves of any kind very well. I am a retired master tech from the 70s with 50+ years' experience on cars and bikes. It's hard to hang on to small screws, clips, cotter pins, etc with gloves on, before I had to take blood thinners my hands and arms never really got cut or nicked so was not an issue for me. My hands and fingers were like leather from grabbing hot engine nuts and bolts for years, not so much now that I am retired.

BD

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Is the CV race core worth the extra cost over the street or does it cause too much of a pressure drop at stock boost levels? After looking into the NX2 it seems like an easy upgrade (compared to other turbo cars I've run) which would most likely require the extra cooling area.

I hate going down the "what if" rabbit hole lol...it usually ends up with more money spent than planned!

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
living in florida i would go with the race
Is the CV race core worth the extra cost over the street or does it cause too much of a pressure drop at stock boost levels? After looking into the NX2 it seems like an easy upgrade (compared to other turbo cars I've run) which would most likely require the extra cooling area.

I hate going down the "what if" rabbit hole lol...it usually ends up with more money spent than planned!
florida and nx2 i would definitely go race
Sponsored