The 2016 Chevy Camaro Definitely Looks Different

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
The car needs more airflow. They should have adopted the ATS/CTS's upper grill size and not entered this generation with another extreme disadvantage.

I have a feeling some extra coolers may be mandatory on even the base car.

There is one area on the 6h Gen that I like so far, previously, the '10-'13 Camaro had a nice front 3/4 presence from the A-pillars up... that was one of it's strong points.

The 6th Gen has a very F-22 feel to it from the B-Pillar back across the hip. I know the blind spots are probably running rampant but, I feel the sail panel/hip shelf is the Camaro's strength this Gen. Everything else I have seen isn't doing it for me.

This is a huge gamble, the redesign is practically a major refresh. The looks are very similar to the out going 5th Gen.

Sales could ultimately take the bump if potential buyers are unaware of the major changes underneath.
I agree--I can't believe a car could be moved to a different platform and the styling change so little
Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Lol Chevy to produce a 2.0L Turbocharged in the new Camaro to rival Fords Mustangs Ecoboost.

If they do its gonna have to have more then 310hp/320tq to compete especially if it ends up still being heavier! Im guessing it will be in the 270hp/260tq range and it will be a big flop! Chevy's turbo will most likely be sold as a fuel econo model with no real performance.. And if they go that route it will be a huge fail! For it to be a legit threat to the EcoBoost its going to have to have the same or more power and with aftermarket support.. I guess well see!!
http://www.mustang6g.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That's crap... I guess no jaw dropping style or World-class Sports Coupe entry. Looks like an old Eclipse front and rear, 5th Gen in the middle.

No large grill, no C7 styling... looks like very poor rear visibility.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I think we need to start a guess the '16 SS horsepower thread like we did here last year. I'm going to guess 440 HP. 5 more just to top our GT.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
This isn't anything special, sure, the Alpha is probably a better chassis than the Zeta no doubt. The design shouldn't be a complete carry over at all. Saleen built Bumblebee on a G8 platform. Then it was swapped to the Zeta... now over to the Alpha...

There are some unique styling elements like the sail panel/hip that looked good on the mold, but the real thing and every render looks sedan-ish. I hate the broad roof and fat boy belt line. The ATS has a far better belt IMO.

More and more McQueen... and I don't mean Steve...

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
This isn't anything special, sure, the Alpha is probably a better chassis than the Zeta no doubt. The design shouldn't be a complete carry over at all. Saleen built Bumblebee on a G8 platform. Then it was swapped to the Zeta... now over to the Alpha...

There are some unique styling elements like the sail panel/hip that looked good on the mold, but the real thing and every render looks sedan-ish. I hate the broad roof and fat boy belt line. The ATS has a far better belt IMO.

More and more McQueen... and I don't mean Steve...
KA-CHOW!!! ;)

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Looks like a World Class Sports Coupe vs. an Am"Euro"can Musclecar. The roof shape on the Camaro is massive compared to the Mustang and has generally larger panels everywhere.

Evolution vs. Revolution...

Initially, the Mustang was deemed an "evolution" of the S197. Now the Camaro has adopted this 'evolution" concept. The issue is, if the 6th Gen is in fact an evolution of the 5th Gen, then the S550 is a revolution compared to the S197, 5th and 6th Gen in my opinion. Ford is doing things for the Mustang the Camaro won't be privileged to until the 7th Gen at least.

It needs its own platform and shortly, for the price, it will need its own drivetrain on higher levels. It desperately needs a better foot print... No matter what, the GT and GT350 will always have an advantage in that respect. The Camaro will need to be slightly lighter as well as use slightly more rubber to match it all while matching the output NA. Torque is an easy task for a 6.2, but can it break 500hp on pushrods? Can it spin to 8000-9000RPM? More tire is always the easiest option as it was to fix the 5th Gens terribad platform.

This separation of Mustang and Camaro will be even clearer once Chevy can't answer a TT 5.0 in a GT500 with the LT4.

For the record, I think the Camaro needs to clean up all this LTRSZL128SSX.R and streamline the product.

Z... Z is very powerful, on its own. The Camaro Z (GT) and Z28 (GT350) and ZL1 (GT500). No SS... The first "S" in SS is more for "Standard" now than "Super" really. Unfortunately, I think the SS is already a go :(

It makes me uncomfortable that the Camaro uses both the SS (Nazi Elite) and Z28 (Nazi Elite Submarine) when in fact Zora was Belgian.

Not a fan... nice work Chaz but... not a fan...

I can't comfortably say that this is under 3800lbs compared to the Mustang based on mass alone. They might manage 3900lbs flat, or even better, 3860lbs matching the 2010. That would be a huge victory in weight loss. The ATS-V is shaping up to be heavier than previously reported... Not a good start... It is already heavier than the Mustang GT. They could always beat the Mustang in less content weight but, that would be a poor selling decision.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I have a question... Why is the rear caliper forward on the rear rotor?

This comparison isn't to scale, the Camaro here has been scaled down to a 107-ish wheelbase (which I think is needed). Although, the Camaro above is literally 14-16 inches shorter than the 188 inch Mustang (measured from the front bumper and not the splitter). Also, the perspective of the Camaro makes the wheelbase appear to be about 2 inches shorter than the 107 GT350 below it. So, in many respect, as it sits in this pic, its about 105-106 when lining up the centers with each other. I know the Camaro isn't dead on, I am just trying to see what a size competitive 6th Gen would look like.

I know this looks promising but, understand that the Camaro here is slightly off center and elevated in the picture. The GT350 seems to be exactly center, the Camaro is slightly cocked. I can't see the Camaro being shorter than a Corvette but this is just for fun. If the Camaro was this small in comparison, Id say a 3700lbs Camaro is possible. However, I think the camera perspective has skewed the photo.

The Camaro shouldn't be shorter or any less wide than the ATS-V. In fact, it should grow at every measurement.

Last edited:

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Just for kicks here are some of my guesses.

440 HP LT1 (maybe a 445 HP active exhaust option)
3725 pound base SS manual
3775 pound base SS automatic

Sponsored

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I will go with 450hp. No clue on weight

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
guess camaro never get their own platform, engine and badge. Thats why Mustang Gt are always special.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
If they do its gonna have to have more then 310hp/320tq to compete especially if it ends up still being heavier! Im guessing it will be in the 270hp/260tq range and it will be a big flop! Chevy's turbo will most likely be sold as a fuel econo model with no real performance.. And if they go that route it will be a huge fail! For it to be a legit threat to the EcoBoost its going to have to have the same or more power and with aftermarket support.. I guess well see!!
One of my son's had a 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS that came with a 260hp 2.0L turbo 4. Pretty peppy engine with plenty of aftermarket support. Over 400whp was about a $3,000 upgrade package from ZZPerformance.

A 4 cylinder Camaro was available over 30 years ago so nothing new there and Chevy needs to offer a 4 cylinder in the 2016 Camaro if they what to get the young buyers. I need my V8 sound (from my exhaust not speakers) so I won't buy a 4 or 6 cylinder for my play car or daily driver if possible.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just for kicks here are some of my guesses.

440 HP LT1 (maybe a 445 HP active exhaust option)
3725 pound base SS manual
3775 pound base SS automatic
I agree, 440-450hp range. 3700 pounds (roughly).

Competitive with the new Mustang (the old V8 was 3900 pounds and even the V6 Camaro weighed what a current 5.0 weighs) but nothing that stands out in performance.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I agree, 440-450hp range. 3700 pounds (roughly).

Competitive with the new Mustang (the old V8 was 3900 pounds and even the V6 Camaro weighed what a current 5.0 weighs) but nothing that stands out in performance.
I'm also going to predict a lot of gen5 Camaro owners complaining about the lack of room inside the Gen6 version. Materials will be nicer but just wait and see the complaints about "My 5th gen had a lot more room inside than my 2016", etc. etc. etc. A physically smaller Camaro that drops 200 pounds is going to have less interior cubic feet.
Sponsored