Sponsored

Steering Rack Issues

haze324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
A few days ago I was getting the noise in the video when I would turn the wheel. After getting under the car I narrowed it down to the rack but not sure what was causing it. Today I changed the steering modes to comfort and turned the wheel. It initially made the noise but by the time I was fully turned the noise was significantly less. Yesterday while driving it was a bad grinding sounds, today not hardly as much but still there. What caused this?

I typical drive in Sport mode for a stiffer feel and about a month taking the bumper off I was turning / forcing the wheel with the car off. Not sure if that caused the issue. Then about a week ago I had on the dash "drive mode selection unavailable" and the steering got stiff. I turned the car off/on and everything was normal then a day or two later this noise started.

Is this electrical/calibration issues, steering rack, belt inside the rack. Glad to have narrowed it down but no clue what caused this or fixed it?

Thanks

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

haze324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Any idea guys? I'm gonna try to pull the rack out this weekend....hoping it's an easy belt swap to fix. Just haven't found many posts or vids about it.

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Any idea guys? I'm gonna try to pull the rack out this weekend....hoping it's an easy belt swap to fix. Just haven't found many posts or vids about it.
Did you find out the issue?

Velocity10gear

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 10spd
were you able to figure out what the issue was? I'm experiencing something similar as well

Dieval

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
V6 2015
Definitely is the steering rack. Mine had a simular noise a few months ago. Ended up buying a new rack at ford dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP

haze324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
were you able to figure out what the issue was? I'm experiencing something similar as well
yes turned out when I put a procharger on the car, some coolant leaked into the boot of the rack. Once I pulled the boot off I found one side completely rusted up. I'm betting I could've taken the rack apart cleaned, greased, etc. and probably been just fine...but by that time I had already ordered a new rack, taken things apart so I just put the new rack in and everything has been perfect since.

InvidiousX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z,WRX
@haze324 Did you change the rack yourself? I've seen people say it needs to be programed with forscan and others say ford has to use a different tool? Forscan I can handle.

Thank you!

OP
OP

haze324

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
@haze324 Did you change the rack yourself? I've seen people say it needs to be programed with forscan and others say ford has to use a different tool? Forscan I can handle.

Thank you!
had to take it to the dealer. It’ll work and you can drive but no feel to the steering or drive modes. Local body shop couldn’t program it either.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@haze324

The EPAS only has gears, circuit board, a belt, and a motor sealed inside of it.

I had created this technical reference thread for the EPAS unit a while back, which contains a lot of info for the EPAS/PSCM.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-epas-pscm-tech-accumulation.160616/

Hopefully something in there is helpful.

There are these threads too regarding the programming:

This thread came about where another M6G member was seeking info for drift/pull compensation and discussed using Forscan or another programming device:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...l-drift-compensation-pdc.179081/#post-3612895

This user tried some Forscan EPAS attempt:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ategies-calibrations-vbf.112549/#post-2392564
Sponsored