'22 M1HP6MT
Last edited:

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Odd combination tonight, went to Kroger for a few small things so I could make some pickled okra...saw that lobster tails were $6 each. I don't eat lobster but I asked my son if he wanted to try it. So I grabbed a pair for the smoker. I also grabbed a small chub of bologna for the smoker, I've been wanting to try that for a long time.

I already had a coil of my homemade sausage thawed out, so that went on the smoker as well.

Wife picked up a pizza on the way home, imagine that 🤣

Son liked the lobster. Wife and I grabbed a piece, she liked hers, I didn't think it was bad. Not sure I could eat a whole one though lol

20240625_175555.jpg
20240625_175912.jpg
20240625_181230.jpg
20240625_181234.jpg

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Life has been busy, so it’s been a minute. I figure you gents could appreciate this one though. So I had to pop my head in here. Up first is beef tartare and second is homemade pappardelle in brown butter sage sauce. Both showered in Chilean perigord truffle. I can say that I’ve certainly had worse meals.

IMG_2413.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Life has been busy, so it’s been a minute. I figure you gents could appreciate this one though. So I had to pop my head in here. Up first is beef tartare and second is homemade pappardelle in brown butter sage sauce. Both showered in Chilean perigord truffle. I can say that I’ve certainly had worse meals.

IMG_2413.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg

IMG_2418.jpeg
One of these days I'm gonna have to man up and try my hand at some tartare!

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
One of these days I'm gonna have to man up and try my hand at some tartare!
Do it! Most people are hesitant because of what they expect from the texture. I find this to be a non issue once they actually try it. There is nothing off putting about the texture in my opinion. Plenty of resources online say you can use different cuts of beef but I strongly recommend using the tenderloin. At least at first to give yourself the best chance of enjoying the dish. Tenderloin is lean, which is the key to good tartare, because fat is chewy and tough. The meat is also very soft. So it makes a perfect tartare. I think the yolk is a fun addition but isn’t a requirement. I think the bread is a requirement though. The crunch you get from the bread goes even further to help with the texture element to make even the most skeptical into converts.

PS. How was that smoked bologna chub?

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Do it! Most people are hesitant because of what they expect from the texture. I find this to be a non issue once they actually try it. There is nothing off putting about the texture in my opinion. Plenty of resources online say you can use different cuts of beef but I strongly recommend using the tenderloin. At least at first to give yourself the best chance of enjoying the dish. Tenderloin is lean, which is the key to good tartare, because fat is chewy and tough. The meat is also very soft. So it makes a perfect tartare. I think the yolk is a fun addition but isn’t a requirement. I think the bread is a requirement though. The crunch you get from the bread goes even further to help with the texture element to make even the most skeptical into converts.

PS. How was that smoked bologna chub?
Thanks for all the feedback! I think you're right about using the tenderloin and yes, I'm a little hesitant about the egg yolk lol...but I also think it's part of the "authentic" experience. I'll Google around some more, I have some small tenderloins in the freezer...I can set the bags in some warm water to bring the meat to room temp.

The chub was something to scratch off my list, it's pretty good "for bologna," it wouldn't be worth the effort by itself. But as an addition while you're already smoking something else, it was a fun experiment. I went against my better judgment and used StaleKracker's Cajun Two-Step bc I've been wanting to try it. But it lists salt as the first ingredient and I've been trying to stay away from rubs that start with salt bc like what happened here, it was good but a touch salty. Overall not bad at all but a less salty rub would have been better.

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
I think a grilled bologna and cheese will offset that salt and should be pretty good! I don't have any "good" cheese slices, just those fake orange American slices...we'll see what I land on lol

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
I think a grilled bologna and cheese will offset that salt and should be pretty good! I don't have any "good" cheese slices, just those fake orange American slices...we'll see what I land on lol
That didn't take long to fling a craving on myself lol

Found some Mexican melting cheese and some grated parmesan, pretty good! Maybe could use a slice of tomato and maybe a fried egg next time.

Best grilled cheese I ever had was in Time's Square with ham and tomato. Not sure what they did different but it just ain't the same when I make it!

20240626_163822.jpg
20240626_163856.jpg

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Thanks for all the feedback! …
It’s a common recommendation to freeze your beef for about 30 mins to firm it up to make it easier to slice into small pieces. So you may find that helpful depending on how sharp your knife is. With a very sharp knife, I find this step unnecessary.

I used to get pickled bologna way back when in Michigan but I’ve never seen it out west. Anyway, your grilled cheese there looks damn good. Bologna always makes me feel like a kid again.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
I used to get pickled bologna way back when in Michigan but I’ve never seen it out west. Anyway, your grilled cheese there looks damn good. Bologna always makes me feel like a kid again.
Thanks! I love hearing stories of other people's experiences, I've only ever seen pickled bologna online.

However I ordered a bunch of stuff from https://www.dutchmansstore.com/

They're in Iowa. I ordered their beef bologna https://www.dutchmansstore.com/product/ulrich-pella-ring-bologna-14-oz

I was surprised when I got it because I was expecting bologna like Oscar Mayer, just in rope form. What I got was more like a smoked sausage. Wasn't like regular bologna at all. But it's delicious! I'll have to place another order sometime.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
I get their flyers emailed to me and sometimes their products are ridiculously cheap. It's interesting to me how the pricing/economy varies so much by region
Sponsored