Sponsored

Planning on Installing ESS Supercharger System...Any advice/guidance/things to avoid?

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Boosted S550s...I'm eventually going to go ESS on my 21GT w/perf pkg and I'd like to know if anyone has any advise/guidance on the process. I've turned wrenches most of my life so I'm confident I can do the work...however, I don't have specialized tools. I'd like to start a list of tools that make the install easier or even required to do it correctly.

Also, any recommendations for a street build, with a focus on drivability vs max HP. It's my daily so I'd like to not have to work on it every other weekend after the supercharger is installed. 650-700HP would be my goal.

Would the G3 with the 120mm pully fit the bill? What about fuel...do you need a BAP or will the OEM pump do the job?

Injectors...the GT500 ones seem to be starting point, anything negative about those?

Catch Can...is this a normal add-on with boost? I've read that it's recommended for boosted applications.

OEM boost gauge...is this what most use? I have the perf pack vacuum gage that I assume can be swapped out for the boost gauge from the v6 ecoboost car. Does the SCX tuner allow that to work with the cars wiring?

Tuner...mentioned the SCX one, is that sufficient? If not, what's recommended?

Any other tips or things to avoid on the install that may not be in the included instructions with ESS?
Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Brevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT
Boosted S550s...I'm eventually going to go ESS on my 21GT w/perf pkg and I'd like to know if anyone has any advise/guidance on the process. I've turned wrenches most of my life so I'm confident I can do the work...however, I don't have specialized tools. I'd like to start a list of tools that make the install easier or even required to do it correctly.

Also, any recommendations for a street build, with a focus on drivability vs max HP. It's my daily so I'd like to not have to work on it every other weekend after the supercharger is installed. 650-700HP would be my goal.

Would the G3 with the 120mm pully fit the bill? What about fuel...do you need a BAP or will the OEM pump do the job?

Injectors...the GT500 ones seem to be starting point, anything negative about those?

Catch Can...is this a normal add-on with boost? I've read that it's recommended for boosted applications.

OEM boost gauge...is this what most use? I have the perf pack vacuum gage that I assume can be swapped out for the boost gauge from the v6 ecoboost car. Does the SCX tuner allow that to work with the cars wiring?

Any other tips or things to avoid on the install that may not be in the included instructions with ESS?
Condensed version..

No special tools needed
120mm pulley
BAP
Gt500 injectors if running pump gas only
UPR vented catch can
Pick a recommended tuner on the website
Enjoy

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Not trying to be a dick, even though it may sound that way. There is a 600+ page thread on this very forum, that at least 200 of those pages answer directly your question. You probably only need read about 20-30 of the first pages to get some guidance.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ess-centrifugal-mustang-superchargers.154557/
^This X2. If you’re serious about boosting with ESS, that thread has all your answers and will help you tremendously along the way.

Install is very straight forward, I think even the least mechanically inclined can successfully get it done in a day or two.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Do what Brevin said. G3 w/ 120mm pulley should get you upper 600s to the wheels.

I use a Prosport Premium EVO boost gauge, I like the recall peak boost feature.

Get tuned by Wengerd.

Sponsored

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Joe603, sounds like what I'm set up to do (have done) next week, G3X, G4 Intercooler, 125mm pully, GT500 injectors and Wengerd 93 octane Tune...oh, and Ford Racing "cold" plugs, from the research I've done on this forum it sounds like piece of cake with no bad downsides...other than having to put more rubber on the ground to manage the added power, which translates to $$$ for wheels and tires, in my case just over 3K...I wanted to do this about a year ago but spent my supercharger fund on a motorcycle, boy's and their toys...I'll keep you'll posted, wish me luck...

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Brevin summed it up.
The install is very straightforward and shouldn't take long.
Maybe throw in a cooler thermostat as well, some people do.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
That thread is freaking long now. Lots of info if you dig. But some is scattered.

I like your version 👍

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Condensed version..

No special tools needed
120mm pulley
BAP
UPR vented catch can
Enjoy
Perfect, thank you!!

Sponsored

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Do what Brevin said. G3 w/ 120mm pulley should get you upper 600s to the wheels.

I use a Prosport Premium EVO boost gauge, I like the recall peak boost feature.

Get tuned by Wengerd.
Wengerd ftw :)

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Condensed version..

No special tools needed
120mm pulley
BAP
UPR vented catch can
Enjoy
Srsly, this kit was super easy to install. Lotsa steps, but none of them hard. Honestly the hardest part for me was getting the new belt put on! So maybe add a serpentine belt tool to the list :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Of course I've been reading the 600+ page thread...but it's just all over the place now. I was trying to keep the trips to Autozone or Amazon to a min for any gotchas with tools. I don't think I have a fuel rail tool...maybe the kit comes with one if it includes the injectors? Torque wrench? Stuff like that.

Thoughts on different spark plugs? Needed or just a nice to have? I would think that pulling the OEM ones is not a fun time. If stock plugs work fine with moderate boost, it seems like an easy pass.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
Of course I've been reading the 600+ page thread...but it's just all over the place now. I was trying to keep the trips to Autozone or Amazon to a min for any gotchas with tools. I don't think I have a fuel rail tool...maybe the kit comes with one if it includes the injectors? Torque wrench? Stuff like that.

Thoughts on different spark plugs? Needed or just a nice to have? I would think that pulling the OEM ones is not a fun time. If stock plugs work fine with moderate boost, it seems like an easy pass.
Ordered my G2 with 120mm and Gt500 injectors today as well.

It's been recommended to me 1 step colder plug from Ford. I have the part link in some email. I'll grab some while I wait for delivery.

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Ordered my G2 with 120mm and Gt500 injectors today as well.

It's been recommended to me 1 step colder plug from Ford. I have the part link in some email. I'll grab some while I wait for delivery.
I was on the 1 step colder plugs from ford for a while. went back to ngk 6510's. Better performance.
Sponsored