Sponsored

Options on making fake hood heat extractors functional

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that air that cannot get out means that air is not going to be coming in. Therefore, custom grills that are wide open, or cutting out a stock grill may only provide a small increase in airflow if at all. Allowing that air to exit the engine compartment and creating a bigger delta across the radiator and other coolers will make a difference.
I think people forget the engine bay isn't at all sealed from the back at the exhaust and trans tunnel, and in normal GTs the undertray at the back is pretty vented or open to different degrees.

You'd prefer the air go up as opposed to down and below, of course, and if you duct the back of the coolers, that's a different story.

Sure sure, more open is more better.
Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I think people forget the engine bay isn't at all sealed from the back at the exhaust and trans tunnel, and in normal GTs the undertray at the back is pretty vented or open to different degrees.

You'd prefer the air go up as opposed to down and below, of course, and if you duct the back of the coolers, that's a different story.

Sure sure, more open is more better.
I am. With all of the air that enters the grill being vented out of the bottom of the car it creates a higher pressure zone there. Thus at higher speed ( not highway speed ) there is lift created. Venting of that air, especially if there has been effort to create more airflow through the grill, out of the engine compartment through the hood with properly designed and located louvers lowers the pressure in the engine compartment. This creates a higher delta across the radiator and any other heat exchangers. Which in turn allows the transfer of more heat to that air. While at the same time reducing lift. Race Louvers, A.J. Hartman, and many, many others have proven this over and over.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
For the side vents - a lot :). Its irreversible. The good news is for the side vents, all the cutting is to clear out the underhood 2nd skin metal which is in the way to get access to bolt the vents into the top skin of the hood. IIRC you don't have to cut anything which will end up visible from the top of the car so it wasn't very stressful (unlike cutting the hole for the big center vent)
Gotcha, thanks. That adds up considering how it appears to mount in pics.

I am. With all of the air that enters the grill being vented out of the bottom of the car it creates a higher pressure zone there. Thus at higher speed ( not highway speed ) there is lift created. Venting of that air, especially if there has been effort to create more airflow through the grill, out of the engine compartment through the hood with properly designed and located louvers lowers the pressure in the engine compartment. This creates a higher delta across the radiator and any other heat exchangers. Which in turn allows the transfer of more heat to that air. While at the same time reducing lift. Race Louvers, A.J. Hartman, and many, many others have proven this over and over.
I understand that you're referring to the aerodynamics of the car / front end as a whole, but is this the reason the hood lifts some at speeds >100 w/o vents then?

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Gotcha, thanks. That adds up considering how it appears to mount in pics.

I understand that you're referring to the aerodynamics of the car / front end as a whole, but is this the reason the hood lifts some at speeds >100 w/o vents then?
Yes.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Did the Roush style vents actually drop temps or were they just kind of a half measure?

I enjoyed your build thread, not many other Guard cars still around!
@2morrow I love your builds too!
I finally sold my 2016 Guard Metallic in February after 8 years. Loved the car, always hated the color though. Obviously colors are very personal but the only time I thought it looked nice was in direct sunlight after being freshly washed.
The color is super rare and it is nice to see someone else appreciate it's uniqueness, but it was not for me. Glad I switched to a Competition Orange car. Much more fitting to my personality. It must be me, because the guy that bought my Guard car was head over heels in love with the color. LOL

Last edited:

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Thank you @Crew4991 and @MrMike ! Color is definitely subjective. I love Comp O myself but it wasn’t available when I was buying.

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
I would add...in my opinion ($.02) after a drive allowing heat to escape the underhood area is a good idea and if it looks good even better!
And, its nice to hear that Guard Metallic is sorta rare...

Nvonstaden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang,Flex
Installed a new hood today and noticed that the hood heat extractors look fake. I was expecting actual visible holes so air can go through. I am wondering if these are fake

Was wondering what are some good options to make these heat extractors functional?

I only street drive, but still, I would rather have everything functioning as designed.

IMG_1136.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg

Nvonstaden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang,Flex
Installed a new hood today and noticed that the hood heat extractors look fake. I was expecting actual visible holes so air can go through. I am wondering if these are fake

Was wondering what are some good options to make these heat extractors functional?

I only street drive, but still, I would rather have everything functioning as designed.

IMG_1136.jpeg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
@2morrow I love your builds too!
I finally sold my 2016 Guard Metallic in February after 8 years. Loved the car, always hated the color though. Obviously colors are very personal but the only time I thought it looked nice was in direct sunlight after being freshly washed.
The color is super rare and it is nice to see someone else appreciate it's uniqueness, but it was not for me. Glad I switched to a Competition Orange car. Much more fitting to my personality. It must be me, because the guy that bought my Guard car was head over heels in love with the color. LOL
If it had been available for 2018 I’d be driving a Guard car. I thought it was a great take on the classic 60s Dark Moss Green. Instead, I’ve got the modern interpretation of Vintage Burgundy. Royal Crimson pops in sunlight but darkens up in lower light levels. To the point of the original post, the factory vents on my car do something but what that is I’m not sure of.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
If it had been available for 2018 I’d be driving a Guard car. I thought it was a great take on the classic 60s Dark Moss Green. Instead, I’ve got the modern interpretation of Vintage Burgundy. Royal Crimson pops in sunlight but darkens up in lower light levels. To the point of the original post, the factory vents on my car do something but what that is I’m not sure of.
I love RC in the sun. Much like Guard though if it’s not in direct sunlight it gets mistaken for other colors

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
I have a 19 with a stock hood and I am well aware that a) the vents are not functional and b) I don't actually need them to be, especially being an EB 'vert that isn't even allowed on track. However like OP fake vents just don't look right. So after all that and the digressions about colors, what is the most cost effect and cleanest way to make them at least semi-fuctional?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
you see how all the strings lay flat on the back side of the middle vent? That means air isn't coming out. See how the strings in the front are pointed up in the air? That means air is flowing.

As you can see, the side vents move a hell of a lot more air than the middle vent while driving.
This makes sense if you have all 3 vents. Now if you eliminate the 2 side vents, I bet that center vent would move a helluva lot more air and the back strings would be squiggling just as much as the front ones.

What this shows is that a big center vent WITH 2 side vents is overkill. But it doesn't show what the center vent only would be like, and I bet Ford tested and designed the center vent with the idea that it was the only vent.
Sponsored