Sponsored

Options on making fake hood heat extractors functional

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The GT500 extractor is way too big. It could be half as long and function just as well.
Does the extractor being too large cause any functional issues compared to running the Trackspec center vent?
Sponsored

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The GT500 extractor is way too big. It could be half as long and function just as well.
Whether or not this is true, I'm willing to bet when they designed it the thought was half on heat extraction and the other half on making it look menacing as fuck.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I have a 2016. Mine have holes in the bottom and the turn signal in the top portion. Seems to be unique to the 2016.

IMG_3308.jpeg
I love these gimmicky hood turn signals on my 2016 GT/CS. They are not necessary but I really do get a kick out of seeing the nostalgic blinking action when turning left. Passengers will sometimes notice the right side and are a bit surprised by them. Not very functional but the coolness/neatness factor is a very nice touch to those (like me) that appreciate the small details. :)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm no expert but are you sure that's true?
This is how I see mine. Facing the front of the car, the one on the right removes any pressure from the factory CAI immediately below (see also port in right side of grill). The one on the left, while it does have a heat-removing effect, I feel it's more to remove pressure than anything else.

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no expert but are you sure that's true? My GT hood vents do have holes in them. I thought they functioned as heat extractors when the car is in motion. Pulling heat from the radiator up and out using the car's airstream as air flows into the engine bay and out through the extractors? Maybe I've been wrong all along haha, wouldn't be the first time.
This is how I see mine. Facing the front of the car, the one on the right removes any pressure from the factory CAI immediately below (see also port in right side of grill). The one on the left, while it does have a heat-removing effect, I feel it's more to remove pressure than anything else.
I agree. A heat extractor for the radiator would be in the center of the hood, just behind the radiator. Air would ideally flow in the front grill and out the center of the hood.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd love to see where this statement is gleaned from
Ask and you shall receive....you see how all the strings lay flat on the back side of the middle vent? That means air isn't coming out. See how the strings in the front are pointed up in the air? That means air is flowing.
1718371454222-lz.png

As you can see, the side vents move a hell of a lot more air than the middle vent while driving. And the back half of the middle vent does nothing. The GT500 vent is far larger than the vent in this picture. But as vaee said, it's menacing AF!

Here is a link to the full video. Credit to @NightmareMoon. AJ Hartman also has wind tunnel videos with a variety of hoods/vent combo's worth watching.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Ask and you shall receive....you see how all the strings lay flat on the back side of the middle vent? That means air isn't coming out. See how the strings in the front are pointed up in the air? That means air is flowing.
1718371454222-lz.png

As you can see, the side vents move a hell of a lot more air than the middle vent while driving. And the back half of the middle vent does nothing. The GT500 vent is far larger than the vent in this picture. But as vaee said, it's menacing AF!

Here is a link to the full video. Credit to @NightmareMoon. AJ Hartman also has wind tunnel videos with a variety of hoods/vent combo's worth watching.

Was this test on a GT500? Doesn't look like one to me. For the car in this video maybe the heat extractor is too big, but the 500's hood was literally designed with heat extraction and aero in mind. The way the grille flows and the cut outs in it, etc etc. This is a cool test, but I ain't taking it to mean the 500's hood vent is too big. Look at this article.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/03/2...mics-and-cooling-explained-feature-spotlight/

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
1718371454222-lz.png

Okay this is nice demonstration video but I have several issues with it. Having two different vents on the same hood are going to affect the speed the air flows out of the engine bay for each vent. Next if your have a larger vent the flow can be half the speed of the smaller vent and still move more air. So this demonstrates air speed out of the engine but not volume which is relevant when you’re trying to get the most amount of air out of the engine bay.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That means air is flowing.
as I said, side ones are pressure relief, the center vent will move a lot of air at higher speeds. Remember you have the rad, condenser in there restricting flow.

Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Okay this is nice demonstration video but I have several issues with it. Having two different vents on the same hood are going to affect the speed the air flows out of the engine bay for each vent. Next if your have a larger vent the flow can be half the speed of the smaller vent and still move more air. So this demonstrates air speed out of the engine but not volume which is relevant when you’re trying to get the most amount of air out of the engine bay.
It's also not taking into account just sitting in traffic, slow driving etc. Heat is absolutely pouring out of my hood at all times, it's very easy to see it lol.

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
It's also not taking into account just sitting in traffic, slow driving etc. Heat is absolutely pouring out of my hood at all times, it's very easy to see it lol.
Yeah there’s definitely heat coming out of the vents there’s also hood vents behind the hood at the base of the windshield. Part of the struggle for auto makers is the huge range of temperatures a car has to operate in. So without changing anything the car that stays cool in the AZ summer can also be driven in north MI winters without any changes to air flow and cooling.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Stay tuned I will be opening up the oem hood vents this weekend if I can find time. Not sure why everyone thinks they are in a bad spot, the actually pull a surprising amount of air as it is with the dinky factory holes.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stay tuned I will be opening up the oem hood vents this weekend if I can find time. Not sure why everyone thinks they are in a bad spot, the actually pull a surprising amount of air as it is with the dinky factory holes.
The factory vents/extractors are in different spots on the 15-17 vs the 18-23, and are a different shape. OP's pic is of a 15-17.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
The factory vents/extractors are in different spots on the 15-17 vs the 18-23, and are a different shape. OP's pic is of a 15-17.
Gotcha. That makes more sense. I know 18-23 the vents were part of the changes made by r&d with nasa in their wind tunnel. Sorry missed OP had an older car
Sponsored