Sponsored

New to foam cannon washing, what am i doing wrong

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Took the advice and just ordered both of those nozzles. So hopefully next week I'll have an update on the gsf. I did run out of CG stuff. I'd like to either foam again this weekend or wash, so my question is would buying some riots foam work to wash? I've read some stuff online, but prefer real world solutions.
I would lean towards Adam's Mega Foam if you are trying to get something locally. Excellent foaming qualities, amazing slickness and lovely scent.

IMG-5890.jpg
Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
I own my own detail business and use exclusively Griots Garage products. It’s made here in my home town of Plainfield Indiana. It’s a great product with a great price.
Agree 100%. I’ve been using Griots exclusively since 1997! I had a black ‘97 WS6 Firebird Formula back then that I just could not get to look good and Griot’s did the trick. Their stuff is designed so that anyone can use it, and they stand behind their stuff.

OP
OP
blankman

blankman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Nite Pony
I would lean towards Adam's Mega Foam if you are trying to get something locally. Excellent foaming qualities, amazing slickness and lovely scent.

IMG-5890.jpg
Going to grab some of this tomorrow at the local store. Thanks for the info.

Well unfortunately they were out. They do carry Griots stuff, so I grabbed a bottle of their snow foam, Adam's wheel cleaner and detail spray. Bought mother's plastic trim cleaner so im going to try that after I was with some microfibers. I also picked up some Griots tire coating. It's the satin finish as I'm not a huge fan of the wet looking tires.

My new floor mats came in yesterday also, so I guess it's going to be a full detail kind of day.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It’s made here in my home town of Plainfield Indiana. It’s a great product with a great price.
Aren't YOU lucky, Dave! Do you get a cut rate on products being local?

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I

wise men think alike lol

OG has gone above and beyond to curate kits to suit every budget. Some folks refer to them as “Overpriced Garage” but honestly if you look at what they give you their prices are damn near identical to what you’d pay to build your own setup. Their Cox Reels come with stainless connectors which is a $100 increase over the brass fittings it normally comes with. Do you need SS fittings? Not really, but if you have hard water or live in a humid environment they’ll last a lot longer than brass fittings will.

If you’re a weekend warrior like myself I opted for the Active 2.0 wall mount setup from OG. I couldn’t justify the price of the Kranzle for my budget and since the Active 2.0 is a 200-250 hour unit (vs 100-150 for store bought brands) this PW should last me 10 years assuming I wash once per week with about 30 minutes total run time per wash (it’s more like 10-12 minutes.

IMG_1105.jpeg
Is it wrong that I sat there staring in awe at this for way too long?

RiotfunK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binx
Vehicle(s)
22 mustang GT Premium PP1 Manual
I picked up a cheap foam fun and using the Mr pink chemical guys soap and it works really good. No spots or anything. And takes the tar, crap, and everything else right off with a mitt. Lightly wiping it works really good. Had some meguiars gold and been using that for long time and that wouldn’t take anything off.
This new stuff works really good. I know it isn’t the best stuff, but can rinse, then foam, rinse and then foam again while using the mitt and is quick and easy and no spots. Here’s what I’m using.
https://a.co/d/6IFj5D5
https://a.co/d/cchnmqv
This was right after a wash. Didn’t towel dry it.
IMG_8309.jpeg

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I to have gone down this rabbit hole. Started with chemical guys then moved on to mostly car pro.

I will say though a detailer friend of mine always says "if chemical guys/armor all motivates you and gets you moving to wash your car correctly then your doing better then most. If you use chemical guys correctly your better then 99 percent of my clients"

so use it to motivate yourself and learn. Then move onto the good stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
blankman

blankman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Nite Pony
So a quick update. The Koch Gsf works amazing. Between that and the adams detail spray. I've only had to foam and spray, then detail spray it once a week. Those new nozzles are amazing. Only issue is, one of them doesn't fit properly on the wand, so if I don't push hard on the nozzle and then on the wand connect it shoots off....don't ask me how I know....rubber tip for the win on not destroying my window.

Next month I'm going to order the rest of the stuff I need for the pressure washer upgrade. I may also try a new foam cannon. The bear force works good, but it's just not as shaving cream foam as I'd like it , even using the 1.1 jet. So I may give that to my father after unordered another one. Any recommendations on a new cannon for use with the ryobie 1800 psi..? Again sorry I'm late but I appreciate all the feedback and opinions.

Oh also I have had time to try the mothers wax remover, so this weekend I'm going to get into that.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
So a quick update. The Koch Gsf works amazing. Between that and the adams detail spray. I've only had to foam and spray, then detail spray it once a week. Those new nozzles are amazing. Only issue is, one of them doesn't fit properly on the wand, so if I don't push hard on the nozzle and then on the wand connect it shoots off....don't ask me how I know....rubber tip for the win on not destroying my window.

Next month I'm going to order the rest of the stuff I need for the pressure washer upgrade. I may also try a new foam cannon. The bear force works good, but it's just not as shaving cream foam as I'd like it , even using the 1.1 jet. So I may give that to my father after unordered another one. Any recommendations on a new cannon for use with the ryobie 1800 psi..? Again sorry I'm late but I appreciate all the feedback and opinions.

Oh also I have had time to try the mothers wax remover, so this weekend I'm going to get into that.
MTM PF22.2 or the Griots Boss cannons are the top of the game right now. The MJJC S V3.0 is another good choice.

Check your panel impact ratio for your setup. It’ll tell you if you're using enough soap in your canon. You shouldn’t need more than 100-150ml of soap in your cannon. Keep in mind water hardness impacts foam production. And lastly, shaving cream consistency is too thick. It needs to be just runny enough to pull the dirt off the surface and fall to the ground.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

How good is GSF! I would use for the scent alone!

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-3088.jpg

You were VERY lucky not to crack the window with the nozzle! Post a few pics and we'll hopefully see what's not working here, they should be seating in quite a positive way.

As @Evolvd said, the two benchmark foam cannons are the MTM PF22.2 or the Griots Boss Foam Cannon. The MJJC models (and other foam cannons with clear bottles) don't use HDPE plastic in their bottles, which makes them fragile.

MTM Hydro PF22.2 Professional Snow Foam Cannon (carpro-us.com)
PF22.2 Foam Cannon with WIDE MOUTH Bottle - MTM Hydro (mtmhydroparts.com)
Amazon.com: MTM Hydro PF22.2 Wide Mouth Foam Cannon, Pressure Washer Car Wash Sprayer Gun, High Pressure Foam Power Washer Attachment for Boat, Roof, Car Washing, Adjustable Nozzle : Patio, Lawn & Garden
MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse

Amazon.com: Griot's Garage BF302 The BOSS Foam Cannon - For Use With Pressure Washers, High-Foam Output, Adjustable Nozzle, 9 x 5 x 7.5 inches, White : Automotive
THE BOSS™ Foam Cannon | Ultimate Foam Delivery - Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com)
Griot's Garage The Boss Foam Cannon | Obsessed Garage

OP
OP
blankman

blankman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Nite Pony
MTM PF22.2 or the Griots Boss cannons are the top of the game right now. The MJJC S V3.0 is another good choice.

Check your panel impact ratio for your setup. It’ll tell you if you're using enough soap in your canon. You shouldn’t need more than 100-150ml of soap in your cannon. Keep in mind water hardness impacts foam production. And lastly, shaving cream consistency is too thick. It needs to be just runny enough to pull the dirt off the surface and fall to the ground.
To be honest I have no idea what the panel impact ratio is, I mean that as in I have never heard of what that is. As in, is it a spreadsheet or document of accumulated knowledge or product recommendations? If you are talking the soap to water ratio then I get it. I calculated both the CG stuff I had and the Koch chemmie stuff and the Koch is more concentrated as far as their recommended ratios go. O ly issue is with how much less to use the Koch stuff, I don't have anything to measure in the volume they recommend for the ML of the cannon I'm using. It was like .67 Oz for my total Cannon bottle. Which only measures in 100ml spots. So I just guessed.

How good is GSF! I would use for the scent alone!

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-3088.jpg

You were VERY lucky not to crack the window with the nozzle!
Yeah I was super lucky. After I thought I got it locked in I tested it just to make sure it wouldn't shoot out and had no problems for 5 mins until I pointed it at my car. The cheapo 25 and 45 degree nozzles I bought fit perfect, but the mtm hydros don't. I'm going to wait until i order a new gun and hoses and quick connect kit tomorrow to see if it's a manufacturing issue with the nozzles end diameter or a gun issue.

I also have to say, that Koch smell sticks around. It's almost a week later and I can still subtly smell the cherry smell from the foam cannon quick wash.

I have a 3 day weekend this week so I'm am going to mess with the new brushes and lamb skin wheel wash mitt to see how they work out. I also have to pickup some more adams detail spray as it works amazing for the finish after washing. Speaking of which I've gotta learn tonuse an orbital as my neighbors children keep putting their hands on the car and "bumping" into it and leaving scratches in the CC.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
To be honest I have no idea what the panel impact ratio is, I mean that as in I have never heard of what that is. As in, is it a spreadsheet or document of accumulated knowledge or product recommendations? If you are talking the soap to water ratio then I get it. I calculated both the CG stuff I had and the Koch chemmie stuff and the Koch is more concentrated as far as their recommended ratios go. O ly issue is with how much less to use the Koch stuff, I don't have anything to measure in the volume they recommend for the ML of the cannon I'm using. It was like .67 Oz for my total Cannon bottle. Which only measures in 100ml spots. So I just guessed.

Yeah I was super lucky. After I thought I got it locked in I tested it just to make sure it wouldn't shoot out and had no problems for 5 mins until I pointed it at my car. The cheapo 25 and 45 degree nozzles I bought fit perfect, but the mtm hydros don't. I'm going to wait until i order a new gun and hoses and quick connect kit tomorrow to see if it's a manufacturing issue with the nozzles end diameter or a gun issue.

I also have to say, that Koch smell sticks around. It's almost a week later and I can still subtly smell the cherry smell from the foam cannon quick wash.

I have a 3 day weekend this week so I'm am going to mess with the new brushes and lamb skin wheel wash mitt to see how they work out. I also have to pickup some more adams detail spray as it works amazing for the finish after washing. Speaking of which I've gotta learn tonuse an orbital as my neighbors children keep putting their hands on the car and "bumping" into it and leaving scratches in the CC.
Panel impact ratio (PIR) uses the GPM flow of your pressure washer through your foam cannon to determine what percentage of the soap is actually going onto your car. Here’s a video from OG explaining how to measure it.

Although they are doing it for Bilt Hamber products the same process applies for any other brand if they advertise a recommended PIR.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

The general rule of thumb with pressure washer connections is to point the nozzle down or away from the car when first squeezing the trigger. It will take a bit of practice, but you will soon do this out of habit.

For GSF, I used about 100ml of soap to 900ml of water in the foam cannon. This is more than what Koch Chemie recommend, but its generally the done thing.

As for the neighbor's children, I find the below plaque applies here as well.......................................

Cat_002_(2).jpg
Sponsored