Sponsored

New BORLA XR-1ยฎ Tuner: Add 40HP to your 2015-2017 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost Instantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Lisa@Borla

Lisa@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Borla Performance Industries (Oxnard, CA)
Website
www.borla.com
First Name
Lisa
Vehicle(s)
-
Since you guys are also talking about intercoolers, I just wanted to throw this out there:

Borla Intercoolers = Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
As I am still trying to figure out which one is the best tuner for the EB, I thought I should write down my thoughts/conclusions, briefly and in simple words.

My research has shown that for the daily driver, the Accessport and the SCT X4 devices are the most attractive choices, as they 've been used by a lot of Mustang EcoBoost owners. They have nice OTS tunes and they offer the ability to get custom tunes as well. How these devices work? They simply reprogram the ECU, in other words they change the signal at the source, before it goes to the desired output. The result is improved drivability, better torque and HP. But they also force the engine to produce these results, most probably within its accepted limits. The problem is that they leave a trace in the ECU and, if something goes wrong, the damage will not be covered by Ford, because their use voids the warranty.

On the other hand there is the XR-1 tuner. This device is an interceptor: it simply intercepts and modifies the signal that goes out of the ECU to the desired output, without changing the source signal (without reprogramming the ECU). This means that, if the device is removed before going to the dealer for any reason, there is no trace at all left behind. The XR-1 tuner seems to be already optimized for the car out of the box and it doesn't have to be professionally custom tuned. Its use does not seem to negatively impact the motor in any way, as the signals that have been intercepted, modified and sent to the desired output are within the engine's accepted limits - in other words the engine is not under excess stress (at least for the stock setup).

Which one to choose? I searched the forums, I looked all over the interned and I have not found any incidents of blown engines (yet). And I believe that, unless someone drives the car constantly in the red line, there should be no issue. For the normal daily driver who would like to accelerate occasionally (red to red light, or in order to merge in the traffic), any choice should be OK. Depend what everyone expects.

I am not suggesting anything, I am just putting down my thoughts and conclusions in simple words. For me however, maintaining the warranty is a major issue. I would expect some reviews from users of either strategy before I decide which way to go.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
k63s2.jpg

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
That! :cheers:

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As I am still trying to figure out which one is the best tuner for the EB, I thought I should write down my thoughts/conclusions, briefly and in simple words.

My research has shown that for the daily driver, the Accessport and the SCT X4 devices are the most attractive choices, as they 've been used by a lot of Mustang EcoBoost owners. They have nice OTS tunes and they offer the ability to get custom tunes as well. How these devices work? They simply reprogram the ECU, in other words they change the signal at the source, before it goes to the desired output. The result is improved drivability, better torque and HP. But they also force the engine to produce these results, most probably within its accepted limits. The problem is that they leave a trace in the ECU and, if something goes wrong, the damage will not be covered by Ford, because their use voids the warranty.

On the other hand there is the XR-1 tuner. This device is an interceptor: it simply intercepts and modifies the signal that goes out of the ECU to the desired output, without changing the source signal (without reprogramming the ECU). This means that, if the device is removed before going to the dealer for any reason, there is no trace at all left behind. The XR-1 tuner seems to be already optimized for the car out of the box and it doesn't have to be professionally custom tuned. Its use does not seem to negatively impact the motor in any way, as the signals that have been intercepted, modified and sent to the desired output are within the engine's accepted limits - in other words the engine is not under excess stress (at least for the stock setup).

Which one to choose? I searched the forums, I looked all over the interned and I have not found any incidents of blown engines (yet). And I believe that, unless someone drives the car constantly in the red line, there should be no issue. For the normal daily driver who would like to accelerate occasionally (red to red light, or in order to merge in the traffic), any choice should be OK. Depend what everyone expects.

I am not suggesting anything, I am just putting down my thoughts and conclusions in simple words. For me however, maintaining the warranty is a major issue. I would expect some reviews from users of either strategy before I decide which way to go.
If warranty if your concern, get the FRPP tune.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
wpid-wp-1421195766569.jpg

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
:lol: :cheers: :lol:

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Its use does not seem to negatively impact the motor in any way, as the signals that have been intercepted, modified and sent to the desired output are within the engine's accepted limits - in other words the engine is not under excess stress (at least for the stock setup).
If you think adding extra boost to your engine via tricking its ECU wont negatively impact or stress the engine, I've got some stickers you'll definitely be interested in

84_std_1395459373.jpg

:headbonk:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
If you think adding extra boost to your engine via tricking its ECU wont negatively impact or stress the engine, I've got some stickers you'll definitely be interested in

84_std_1395459373.jpg

:headbonk:
Better than 0!

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
As I said, I am still waiting to hear stories about blown up engines...

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.