Sponsored

New BORLA XR-1® Tuner: Add 40HP to your 2015-2017 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost Instantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Thanks for the links.

When I say "I am still waiting to hear stories about blown up engines", I am not trying to be ironic and I am not saying this in order to defend anyone. I am trying to decide whether or not I will have my car tuned - if it is worth taking the risk, based on facts.
Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Thanks for the links.

When I say "I am still waiting to hear stories about blown up engines", I am not trying to be ironic and I am not saying this in order to defend anyone. I am trying to decide whether or not I will have my car tuned - if it is worth taking the risk, based on facts.
I understand that and I apologize if I came across like an ass. I love the ecoboost community and these cars, the last thing Id want is for you or anyone else to go install one of these things and blow your engine out. these things are cancer and they have been around for a decade. I'm sure that if you google "2006 VW Jetta jms boostmax blown engine" (or replace jetta with any other turbo car as they all have their own forum pages) you'll find threads saying "i love it!" and you'll also find blown engine threads. If you do decide to tune your car you really oughta go custom tune. The tuners are professionals and are dedicated to making your car as powerful as possible without risking your engine. The sad truth is some of these engines have thrown a rod even on the stock PCM. The FP Tune is a good work around and I realize your in europe and its not an option. Id recommend either waiting for your warranty to be up before you tune, or just go for it and tune it anyway, chances are you'll be totally fine. you only live once yknow? might as well.

But as for these devices, they are far more likely to cause engine failure simply bc they trick your engine. The custom tunes modify programming in vairous different aspects in a controlled system while still allowing your engine to protect itself. on the other hand these boost fooler devices blindfold your car preventing the software from protecting itself, in turn causing a boost situation that can throw a rod through the block or other untold destruction.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
No problem Dirty-EB-Chicago. I know you meant good :cheers:

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Believe me, I love these cars as well and the last thing I want in my life is to see my car (or someone else's car) suffer a blown engine! As you said YOLO, I will definitely tune, but with a professional tuner.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I did try the boostmax. I also looked for all the info related to blown motors related to this. I really couldn't find but the one report from above. That person also has an oil consumption issue too. I gave it a try with JMS recommendation to only go half way with the boost. I drove the car under various conditions and while driving, turning the boost up and down fully under many different pedal positions and load. Honestly I could really feel no difference. But my 0-60 was consistently .5 seconds quicker. (5.0). I ended up taking it off because I really didn't feel a worth while change. I am wondering if the other controls of the computer which measure engine load and such don't really allow the extra boost that this module in trying to add under most driving conditions. Which also makes me wonder if it really is very harmful since timing and other factors are not being added. I know I'll get slammed for this, but I then tried the Pedalmax and "felt" much more power then the boostmax. The pedalmax only gives more power while driving at part throttle (normal driving) since its just telling the computer I have the pedal pressed farther then it really is. Like mentioned many times it does nothing after about 65% throttle and did nothing for my 0-60 times.
Unfortunately for you but the Ford tune is the best "safe" option for us. But since I'm not racing anymore and seldom push the pedal to the floor, the pedalmax works for me, for now anyway.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did try the boostmax. I also looked for all the info related to blown motors related to this. I really couldn't find but the one report from above. That person also has an oil consumption issue too. I gave it a try with JMS recommendation to only go half way with the boost. I drove the car under various conditions and while driving, turning the boost up and down fully under many different pedal positions and load. Honestly I could really feel no difference. But my 0-60 was consistently .5 seconds quicker. (5.0). I ended up taking it off because I really didn't feel a worth while change. I am wondering if the other controls of the computer which measure engine load and such don't really allow the extra boost that this module in trying to add under most driving conditions. Which also makes me wonder if it really is very harmful since timing and other factors are not being added. I know I'll get slammed for this, but I then tried the Pedalmax and "felt" much more power then the boostmax. The pedalmax only gives more power while driving at part throttle (normal driving) since its just telling the computer I have the pedal pressed farther then it really is. Like mentioned many times it does nothing after about 65% throttle and did nothing for my 0-60 times.
Unfortunately for you but the Ford tune is the best "safe" option for us. But since I'm not racing anymore and seldom push the pedal to the floor, the pedalmax works for me, for now anyway.
Few things. The guy with the blown engine in that thread installed the pedalmax and the boostmax at 1200 or so miles, and later the oil issues came into play, likely as a result.

I'm not even going to get into it with you on the pedalmax thing, people on the previous pages already explained it very clearly.

Regarding the Boostmax, its simple. how would it not be harmful to have more Boost that your PCM is unaware of? Im not following your logic at all here bud.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Maybe the PCM really doesn't care what the boost level is. If the PCM can keep the Air fuel ratio where it wants it and the knock sensors don't feel anything all is good maybe. I am far from saying with any certainty that this will or will not hurt the motor. I will say JMS and Rousch are not fly by night outfits and have been around fords for quite some time. So I have an open mind if these things might work. I am an engineer and sometimes the simplest ideas work out. "IF" the pcm can monitor other outputs from sensors and adjust the fuel trims to stay in check, it might work just fine with the added extra boost. I also think that the power increases are not that good because if the PCM detects any knocking or pinging or other outputs it doesn't like it will pull timing and throttle opening to keep the load where it wants it. The way these motors work are very interesting and I certainly won't have the time or resources to understand all the parameters and adjustments the PCM controls. My gut tells me the 5 extra pounds of boost this can put out is excessive. But a custom tune changes alot more such as advanced timing, a bit more boost, leaner fuel and throttle body opening. These will also certainly add more "harm" to the motor. I just haven't seen proof one way or another that the boostmax is that terrible. Admittedly though, I have only searched around for mustangs and f150's.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the PCM really doesn't care what the boost level is. If the PCM can keep the Air fuel ratio where it wants it and the knock sensors don't feel anything all is good maybe. I am far from saying with any certainty that this will or will not hurt the motor. I will say JMS and Rousch are not fly by night outfits and have been around fords for quite some time. So I have an open mind if these things might work. I am an engineer and sometimes the simplest ideas work out. "IF" the pcm can monitor other outputs from sensors and adjust the fuel trims to stay in check, it might work just fine with the added extra boost. I also think that the power increases are not that good because if the PCM detects any knocking or pinging or other outputs it doesn't like it will pull timing and throttle opening to keep the load where it wants it. The way these motors work are very interesting and I certainly won't have the time or resources to understand all the parameters and adjustments the PCM controls. My gut tells me the 5 extra pounds of boost this can put out is excessive. But a custom tune changes alot more such as advanced timing, a bit more boost, leaner fuel and throttle body opening. These will also certainly add more "harm" to the motor. I just haven't seen proof one way or another that the boostmax is that terrible. Admittedly though, I have only searched around for mustangs and f150's.
Custom tunes are complete systems that yes adjust more parameters of the PCM, but it's designed to adjust certain values within a safe range and rely on the cars existing sensors to protect the engine.

Boostmax lies to your stock PCM and tells it the boost Psi isn't as high as it actually is. therefore you PCM is working off data that is false. The PCM's ability to protect the engine from potential failures are inhibited. its a gimmick.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.