Sponsored

Needed supporting mods, tools etc for whipple install

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
Hey guys. STOKED to have finally got a Whipple on order. Gen 5 stage 1 with the big heat exchanger for my 21 GT PP1. Ordered the kit with the whipple tune, injectors, fuel pump, etc.
Also have boundary OPG and crank sprocket, ATI Balancer, RST clutch, braided clutch line, on the way. Also a MGW shifter here ready to go.

Looking at adding a kinetic crank saver, some EB boost/oil gauges for my PP1 car...

Likely doing the GT350 timing chain while I'm in there, do people usually do the secondaries as well? Any must do tensioner upgrades or anything else? Front cover gaskets? For tools, a special balancer puller? The car has about 50K in legit highway miles, lots of several hour trips or long commutes, but it is no longer my daily.

Focusing on the engine and trans for the moment, supsension upgrades to follow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a UPR (I think) catch can for the drivers side, but I guess that wont work. Whats the good setup?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Save your money on the ATI balancer and timing components and upgrade to a stage 2 kit. You'll be glad you did. :)

OP
OP

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Save your money on the ATI balancer and timing components and upgrade to a stage 2 kit. You'll be glad you did. :)
ATI balancer seems like a good idea, and the new chain is only 75 bucks.

This won't be a track car or anything, needs to be fun and still capable of couple hour roadtrips

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you do the timing chains, (and why not if you're in there for the OPG's anyway?), get the Boss type ratcheting tensioners. I wish I had done that. If you want to see all that can go wrong with the install in one place, follow my adventure last year with my installation thread. I made a 2-4 day installation take waaaay too long, lol.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-of-a-whipple-installation-on-youtube.186202/

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
ATI balancer seems like a good idea, and the new chain is only 75 bucks.

This won't be a track car or anything, needs to be fun and still capable of couple hour roadtrips
I put my stage 2 kit on in 2021 and did oil pump gears and the crank sprocket at the same time. Stock balancer with a new bolt (crank saver stud is a good idea). Did not do chains, guides, tensioners, gaskets, none of that. Car has been perfect and I'm not easy on it!

I did pickup a MFP crank support that I plan to put on soon. I drag race quite a bit and use a WOT box for a 2-step. Figured good to have.

I had a buddy with a stage 1 kit and he immediately wished he went stage 2. Buy once, cry once! Regardless you will love the kit.

OP
OP

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea you have a point. Its not all that much out of the gate to do it now. I'm checking to see if I can still upgrade to the stage 2 :clap: