MY 19 GT350 vs any GT350R?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think it was said, the tires and the wheels are the big gap. Change them out and the next big difference is aero, then suspension......

Its a no brainer to buy the R. But if you cant get one and you really don't care, then get the 350 and get lightweight wheels and a set of R cup 2s. (350 cup 2s are not the same as R cup 2s).
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So I've read the thread with all the GT350 MY 2019 changes...

And it makes me wonder, since a 19 GT350 has a lot of upgrades, what does a 2016+ GT350R have over it (or a 19+ for that matter) that can't simply be added in the aftermarket - specifically the wheels/tires, seat delete, and aero items.

Pricing for a used GT350R is similar to the 19+ GT350 and then you get a warranty (full or 2+ years) as well.

So I'm just curious the thoughts on this.

Thanks

*edit* - from what I've read so far after some articles were posted and then I searched for additional ones...

It appears the 2019 GT350 is largely similar to the 2016-2019 GT350R, excluding some items that can be bought aftermarket (rear seat delete, aero, CF wheels, different tires)... HOWEVER, the 2020 GT350R did receive some steering updates as well as some brake updates - but this drove the cost up $5k on MSRP.

So it appears the that if I want the best factory 350R I want a new 2020 and I'll have to pay a good bit for it, otherwise the more budget-conscious buy would be a nicely priced new (or mildly used) 2019 GT350 and then some aftermarket help.
Here you go. The car is essentially new. Complete with an extended warranty till 2024.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193661272587?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Searching for yellow 350Rs for sale? :wink:
No, but the OP was looking for an R I thought. That particular one in the link is practically brand new, and to boot, its a 2016 model. One of the best years built.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
No, but the OP was looking for an R I thought. That particular one in the link is practically brand new, and to boot, its a 2016 model. One of the best years built.
I said that jokingly since you got rid of your yellow one recently. That's a pretty clean example above. They look good in yellow and you don't see too many in that color.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I said that jokingly since you got rid of your yellow one recently. That's a pretty clean example above. They look good in yellow and you don't see too many in that color.
Yes, a very rare color. For some its a holy grail for others, well not so much. Mine was a 1 of 19. This one in the link is probably as rare or rarer (I dont have the '16 build numbers handy). It is an example of a perfectly preserved car that has to go for the same reason as mine. They guy is out of garage space and He just had a CFTP delivered. If anyone was looking for an R, that would be the one I would buy.

OP
OP
Seven

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
I bought a '19 GT350R... Will be picking it up in a couple weeks (need to drive to FL to pick it up and have plans the next two weekends)... Still didn't drive one but the price was good enough that I was ok purchasing with the intent to re-sell for the same price if I don't like it.
After driving a ZL1-1LE, that'll be the car I'll settle with if the GT350R isn't really fun (I think it will be)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I bought a '19 GT350R... Will be picking it up in a couple weeks (need to drive to FL to pick it up and have plans the next two weekends)... Still didn't drive one but the price was good enough that I was ok purchasing with the intent to re-sell for the same price if I don't like it.
After driving a ZL1-1LE, that'll be the car I'll settle with if the GT350R isn't really fun (I think it will be)
You’ll like it, no worries. ZL1-1LE is no doubt faster, but boring to drive once you get used to the grunt of it. Congrats!

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Where in FL? I'm shopping again for an R...loosely...and curious to see what people are actually obtaining them for.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Also to add - last I checked, the part number of the R dampers were actually different than non-R.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my 2016 GT350 track pack, but I always wanted and R... I tracked my track pack with cheapo need4speed wheels, in R setup with oem Pilot supersport tires.

Then I tracked my R, with OEM carbon wheels and SC2 tires..
OK, there is a difference between the 2...

....but, I do think that if I had these lighter wheels on the track pack and SC2 tires, would be *almost* the same, or I would not be able to quantify the difference.

I mean I am not pushing 100% on the track, and for what it's worth, they are both just as fun.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yes, no worries, great choice

kjuy76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kjuy
Vehicle(s)
carolla
Im real disappointed in the IAT2's. Its right around 50 degrees over ambient which is crazy. This is without even getting into boost while maintaining 70mph on interstate. I called Roush and the guy said that 40 was acceptable, but 50 made him Leary. I plan on upgrading the LTR (heat exchanger) and cost isnt a factor.
Ive had other cars with the VMP dual fan system and I hate the fans running all of the time. Its annoying for city driving and such.
I am a weekend driver - maybe going to the 1/8th mile once a year if that. I just want to get the IAT2's low so I can get off of the Roush tune and get a VMP or PBD tune but I want the IAT2 down first.
Does anyone have real data #'s from this blower using
VMP tripple core with fans?
VMP tripple core w/o fans?
Whipple large Heat exchanger
Any/all suggestions are welcome.
Again, Im not going to ever run back to back 1/4 runs - Im just a bit OCD about high IAT2's.
for fishing and trips.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I loved my 2016 GT350 track pack, but I always wanted and R... I tracked my track pack with cheapo need4speed wheels, in R setup with oem Pilot supersport tires.

Then I tracked my R, with OEM carbon wheels and SC2 tires..
OK, there is a difference between the 2...

....but, I do think that if I had these lighter wheels on the track pack and SC2 tires, would be *almost* the same, or I would not be able to quantify the difference.

I mean I am not pushing 100% on the track, and for what it's worth, they are both just as fun.
I'm not one to debunk the specialness of an R and I do think there is SO much more to them than the wheel/tire package but... Check out the weight of the SC2s alone compared to a MPSS or similar..the SC2 is very light. I'd imagine people would enjoy a noticeable difference with just a tire change.
Sponsored