GT3 @ Le Mans

rwp50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black California Special
I’m watching it on and off and all they seem to care about is the hypercars. They’re barely showing the leaderboard on the GT3 category. They did show the Ford go into the garage with something wrong with the driver side front wheel.
Agree! The Hypercars are something else but no relation to ones we drive.
Sponsored

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
Great article! I'll try to get through my pics and videos this weekend. I know I at least have the Mustangs on video from the first lap lol.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The Porsche guys have thrown in the towel. Their prediction is, well, watch the video.

Note the GTD weight. Exciting times!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The Porsche guys have thrown in the towel. Their prediction is, well, watch the video.

Note the GTD weight. Exciting times!

I don’t know this guy, can we assume his source for the weight is legit? If so, that’s impressively light!

Also, here’s the full Car Spy video that he shows several clips of. Good stuff Tom!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don’t know this guy, can we assume his source for the weight is legit? If so, that’s impressively light!

Also, here’s the full Car Spy video that he shows several clips of. Good stuff Tom!

Yes, it is light. Ask yourself this..... why is the car so much money? Weight reduction isn't cheap. Just looking at a quick few numbers, take a 4000# GT500. Swap CCB (150#), CF body panels (100# minimum), lithium battery (50#), a base model (AC and stereo delete, 120#). With that alone, you are at 3580#. Now add some of that $400k price Tag magic that isn't so obvious, and yes, I can see a lower weight.

Custom fabricate heavy steel parts that would normally get thrown on a Flat Rock special and yes, I can see a 3400# 900 HP monster. (Maybe less). There is a reason the car costs so damn much.

We will see

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yes, it is light. Ask yourself this..... why is the car so much money? Weight reduction isn't cheap. Just looking at a quick few numbers, take a 4000# GT500. Swap CCB (150#), CF body panels (100# minimum), lithium battery (50#), a base model (AC and stereo delete, 120#). With that alone, you are at 3580#. Now add some of that $400k price Tag magic that isn't so obvious, and yes, I can see a lower weight.

Custom fabricate heavy steel parts that would normally get thrown on a Flat Rock special and yes, I can see a 3400# 900 HP monster. (Maybe less). There is a reason the car costs so damn much.

We will see
Makes sense. There’s some conflicting videos out there with others saying closer to GT500 weight, which wouldn’t make sense to me given all the CF, Magnesium wheels and other weight savings measures available to FP/Multimatic. I guess we’ll find out officially from FP/Multimatic soon enough, I was just surprised to see sub-3,300lbs (pleasantly surprised I might add). I guesstimated 3,500-3,600lbs, figured 400-500lbs of savings (using the 500 as the starting point) for a street legal car would be very attainable. All the better if they can shed even more.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Certainly NOT the euro crowd. Think there’ll be some very upset people fairly soon. But if you love cars, it shouldn’t matter.
First of all even if it beat the GT2 RS (highly doubtful) it will need to beat the new GT2 RS. For example the GT2 RS MR spec is posting a lap time of 6:38.835 and the AMG One 6:30.0 a new GT2 RS will probably be faster than 6:38 and I doubt the Mustang GTD will even brake into the 6:4X lap times. Which based on that video will mean an improvement of almost a full minute compared to a GT350R 7:32 lap time which I didn't see an indication of but let's assume it's true. Overall I think the GTD will probably slot somewhere between 992 GT3 and 992 GT3 RS.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
First of all even if it beat the GT2 RS (highly doubtful) it will need to beat the new GT2 RS. For example the GT2 RS MR spec is posting a lap time of 6:38.835 and the AMG One 6:30.0 a new GT2 RS will probably be faster than 6:38 and I doubt the Mustang GTD will even brake into the 6:4X lap times. Which based on that video will mean an improvement of almost a full minute compared to a GT350R 7:32 lap time which I didn't see an indication of but let's assume it's true. Overall I think the GTD will probably slot somewhere between 992 GT3 and 992 GT3 RS.
Why do you doubt it beating the GT2 RS? Ford’s stated goal from the time of release was to beat Porsche at the Ring. I doubt they would make such a statement if they didn’t think the car was capable. Only time will tell but based on what we know so far, I’d say it’s very realistic.

As far as beating an R by almost a full minute, I can see it. More hp, better tires, better aero and possibly lighter (that part is still pending official numbers from Ford).

This isn’t your average Mustang (or Shelby) that rolls off the line at Flat Rock. If it doesn’t beat the GT2 so be it. But Ford has been doubted in Europe before…

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
It could very we be possible. With all conditions in favor of driver and car…Ford might just pull it off. Porsche is in the lab with the 2026 GT2RS so who knows for how long the GTD will be supreme.

at the end of the day we are talking lap times between a full blown Mustang and a full blown Porsche. Great times.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
This is the story I heard about the GTD from a reasonable source (IDGAF if you believe it).

Ford went to the ACO/FIA to make a GT3 car and they basically said the Mustang wasn't exotic enough, so they wouldn't allow it. Ford then asked what they needed to do, and the answer was to build an exotic. So they have.

The GTD shares very little with any other Mustang. It's a different car. Who knows how fast it will actually go, but the target is not P2.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I am also a bit skeptical in regards to weight. But it’s a moot point because car has enough race tested aerodynamics, And big big power and brakes Which pays dividends at the Nurburgring. Just look at the GT350R, much heavier than a same era Porsche GT4, but puts up faster lap time at the ‘Ring (and also beat it in 2016 IMSA championship season 😎)
Sponsored