Sponsored

Fuel tank lock ring - install help

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
Stupid question here fellas...but uh...how much force should it take to put this lock ring on? Or am I an idiot and overlooking something? (No sleep lately so entirely possible đź‘Ť)

I am riding the struggle bus. I feel like I'm going to break something if I put any more force on the tool.

I tried a new o ring, old o ring, and petroleum jelly. I can start the lock ring by hand and everything lines up. But using the special lock ring tool and gently pushing down while using a breaker bar, it simply won't budge any further.

Indexing tab on the hat is pointed at 11 o'clock toward the "location" imprint that Ford designated. The assembly sits flush with no gaps or movement as far as I can tell. O ring isn't twisted.

Ignore the marks I put on the lock ring. The only thing that stands out to me is the scratch on the hat shown in Pic 2 at o'clock

20240606_173352.jpg

20240606_173416.jpg

20240606_175639.jpg

20240606_173326.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You’re not there yet!

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
First off, glad to see if you have the right tool! I see a lot of folks hit it with a punch with a hammer. While that works, it makes me cringe a bit.

Anyways, I recall mine taking quite a bit of force to remove and reinstall but nothing that I felt was close to breaking things.

OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To put the amount of force I'm using I to perspective, it feels about like tightening a lug nut.

Seems like I'm tempting fate here to put any more force on it.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
To put the amount of force I'm using I to perspective, it feels about like tightening a lug nut.

Seems like I'm tempting fate here to put any more force on it.
Seems silly I know, but the new fuel hat should be seated pretty much flush against the tank (prior to ring install). Are you sure nothing is obstructing the hat from seating on the tank? I can absolutely not remember apply lug nut force to my locking ring lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems silly I know, but the new fuel hat should be seated pretty much flush against the tank (prior to ring install). Are you sure nothing is obstructing the hat from seating on the tank? I can absolutely not remember apply lug nut force to my locking ring lol.

ORing is laying flat on tank and pump assy is laying flat as shown in pics.

Either I need to risk it and give it more oomph or I need to pull the assembly and measure it to see if it's in spec, I think. (10:1 odds the issue isn't the assembly)

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
ORing is laying flat on tank and pump assy is laying flat as shown in pics.

Either I need to risk it and give it more oomph or I need to pull the assembly and measure it to see if it's in spec, I think. (10:1 odds the issue isn't the assembly)
If thats the case I’d probably just crank on that thing and lock it in.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
It's the same lock ring I pulled off thr old pump.
Don't be afraid to get a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer and give a couple whacks. Getting those raised sections fo the ring into their grooves can be damn hard with the "correct" tool.

Red arrows need to line up, blue arrow is where you put the end of the screwdriver
fuel pump ring.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't be afraid to get a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer and give a couple whacks. Getting those raised sections fo the ring into their grooves can be damn hard with the "correct" tool.

Red arrows need to line up, blue arrow is where you put the end of the screwdriver
fuel pump ring.jpg
You called it.

I removed the new pump assy and installed the old one just to verify the ring would fit and that I wasn't a complete idiot. Sure enough, it clocked right into place without much persuasion.

So, I re-installed the new pump assy again and I notched a 'V' into the end of a flathead to prevent it slipping off the ring and hammered the ring onto the new pump. And then hammered harder... and harder.

And then finally, a 5lb hammer and some Very uncomfortable and very hard raps popped the ring into place.

I have never seen a ring fit that tight before in my life. Should have just used a damn air hammer. Lol

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
You called it.

I removed the new pump assy and installed the old one just to verify the ring would fit and that I wasn't a complete idiot. Sure enough, it clocked right into place without much persuasion.

So, I re-installed the new pump assy again and I notched a 'V' into the end of a flathead to prevent it slipping off the ring and hammered the ring onto the new pump. And then hammered harder... and harder.

And then finally, a 5lb hammer and some Very uncomfortable and very hard raps popped the ring into place.

I have never seen a ring fit that tight before in my life. Should have just used a damn air hammer. Lol
Probably safe to say that it won't leak. I think it's harder to install the aftermarket fuel hat because it is is slightly thicker and stiffer being aluminum vs. the OEM plastic one.

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
Where did you get the tool? I put grease on both sides of the lock ring especially where the lock tabs are, it does take some force

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably safe to say that it won't leak. I think it's harder to install the aftermarket fuel hat because it is is slightly thicker and stiffer being aluminum vs. the OEM plastic one.
I wonder if applying some downward pressure while hammering would make it easier? I had a lot of trouble with an aftermarket lock ring the last time I did a fuel pump for that reason. The spring pressure of the basket made it really hard to get the ring started. Big PITA lol