Fuel tank lock ring - install help

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I wonder if applying some downward pressure while hammering would make it easier? I had a lot of trouble with an aftermarket lock ring the last time I did a fuel pump for that reason. The spring pressure of the basket made it really hard to get the ring started. Big PITA lol
Possibly. I've always just used the OEM lock ring
Sponsored

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Just my .02, did mine last week, (replaced with OEM motorcraft though) and it still required some force. I did use a new gasket (green motorcraft o-ring) which was also very thick. Proper tool, nice long breaker bar, still took some force. You know you’re there when you get the loud “pop” of it seating the lands and grooves (as nicely outlined above with perfect pictures and arrows) of the ring/tabs. I used to use the old “screwdriver/hammer” trick myself, this is the first time in 35 years I actually used the PROPER tool, and I will say, best $30 I’ve ever spent. Highly recommend to all. All said and done, I had the pump assembly finished in under 30 minutes. I’ve had a million tanks down, and this design is pretty awesome. Fastest in tank pump I’ve ever changed 😎