Sponsored

Carbon trap removal, +18 hp ??

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Db is a logarithmic unit. So + 3 is double the sound pressure.
Hp is not logarithmic so +10 and +20 will be just that much.
I know, but I don't understand your point. If anything, you're solidifying my argument. You need double the sound pressure for your ears to pick up the difference, but you think your butt can notice a 3-4% power bump?
Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I removed my HC trap in April while I was at Deal's Gap and I didn't notice a difference but I'm not letting the EPA steal hp from me.

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
I know, but I don't understand your point. If anything, you're solidifying my argument. You need double the sound pressure for your ears to pick up the difference, but you think your butt can notice a 3-4% power bump?
Yeah and clearly people can notice way less than double if and e85 tune gives you 50-100 more HP. So your analogy doesn't work.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah and clearly people can notice way less than double if and e85 tune gives you 50-100 more HP. So your analogy doesn't work.
I don't think you're following what I'm saying. My point wasn't that there is a direct correlation between how you perceive volume and how you perceive horsepower. My point is that you can measure the minimum increments required for the human brain to notice a difference, for any of our senses. I was using noise level as an example of other such minimum increments that have already been measured. The same is true of horsepower. I'm not sure exactly what that minimum increment is, but it's definitely more than 3%.

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you're following what I'm saying. My point wasn't that there is a direct correlation between how you perceive volume and how you perceive horsepower. My point is that you can measure the minimum increments required for the human brain to notice a difference, for any of our senses. I was using noise level as an example of other such minimum increments that have already been measured. The same is true of horsepower. I'm not sure exactly what that minimum increment is, but it's definitely more than 3%.
Yeah my point was since dB is not linear itā€™s a bad choice of comparison because double the energy is barely perceivable. Where as with HP you can tell a difference with just the type of fuel you are using and that could be as little as 4% different. You can even tell a difference between a hot engine and cold engine from heat soak.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah my point was since dB is not linear itā€™s a bad choice of comparison because double the energy is barely perceivable. Where as with HP you can tell a difference with just the type of fuel you are using and that could be as little as 4% different. You can even tell a difference between a hot engine and cold engine from heat soak.
And I'm saying I strongly disagree. You cannot tell the differences you're describing. It's a placebo. If you didn't expect a difference, you wouldn't feel a difference. And I bet science can prove it if it hasn't already.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I'm saying I strongly disagree. You cannot tell the differences you're describing. It's a placebo. If you didn't expect a difference, you wouldn't feel a difference. And I bet science can prove it if it hasn't already.
I guess my butt dyno has been calibrated more recently.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well we're back to an impasse lol

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Yeah the old thing about doubling dB/SPL to get a just noticeable difference is pretty well accepted and proven in audio circles. But Iā€™m not sure if the same parameters of increase apply to all the other human senses and perceptions. It may just be me but Iā€™ve always preferred to separate any sensation my butt might feel from one that occurs above my neck.

Sponsored