3rd Gear Grind

RiotfunK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binx
Vehicle(s)
22 mustang GT Premium PP1 Manual
Didn’t want to start new thread. But I’m not getting lock out in 3rd. But.

This has happened to me enough now that it’s really bothering me. I can shift quick/hard into 2nd. Never an issue. If I shift from second to third around 4-5k I get the grrrcchh sound (like if you miss shift) when releasing the clutch. It’s in gear. And will just go from there. This is after warmed up about 10 min. And then I’ll get 4th lock out around same rpm at random. After 20-30 min of driving it won’t do it or just feels way better. I’m thinking it’s the mount of the shifter as it feels like the gates are moved when shifting under load. I’m swapping the clutch line to stainless, going to motul dctf and an mgw in the next few weeks. Ford dealer said was fine. But they just drove it normally plugged into a tech computer. Checked my dash cam after I got it back.
I know how to drive stick. Driven it for years. I’ve raced driving manuals. 3rd gear feels so odd in this thing. I’ve done the steeda spring and perch which helped the initial feel. But again 3rd feels off to me. Car has 8k in it. Bought it with 6k and was a garage queen. I don’t smell clutch. Just annoying third gear even when casually shifting it feels off to me. No grind under 4k just not smooth.
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Sounds like a bum synchro. If you are able to reproduce it consistently i'd have a tech ride along with you. Or the service manager.

I get the 3rd gear lockout seemingly randomly, its pretty rare. But i also hear some noise from the tranny when it happens which is interesting. It does seem like it's a clutch problem more than anything.

RiotfunK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binx
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a bum synchro. If you are able to reproduce it consistently i'd have a tech ride along with you. Or the service manager.
Dealer says it’s a normal sound. I said same thing to them about the synchro. Seems like a common issue that Ford won’t address from what I’ve read online. Why I asked on here.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Dealer says it’s a normal sound. I said same thing to them about the synchro. Seems like a common issue that Ford won’t address from what I’ve read online. Why I asked on here.
I get the slight nibble and have for the 21000/38000 miles that I’ve owned my vehicle.
I think you just keep sending it and wait for stuff to get worse. If it’s internal you’re going to be tearing it up anyways, just wait until it breaks!

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry. It’s hard to say without driving it and seeing it myself. But I don’t have any weird noises coming out of my 2023 especially not during normal driving. Hope someone else can chime in.
Is it loud enough that video can pick it up? That may help forum users.

Sponsored

RiotfunK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binx
Vehicle(s)
So went for a spin. You really need to give it a second after depressing the clutch before even starting to shift. Is there a way to disable the rev hang? I need to have the rpm drop before I can shift and not have an issue. Once you do that, then it is fine.

RiotfunK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Binx
Vehicle(s)
sorry. It’s hard to say without driving it and seeing it myself. But I don’t have any weird noises coming out of my 2023 especially not during normal driving. Hope someone else can chime in.
Is it loud enough that video can pick it up? That may help forum users.
Go to 3:30 into the video. Same exact gear and sound.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. not normal. Your dealership sucks :(
Maybe Ford is a bear to get to pay out transmission warranty claims and they don't want to deal with the diag and back and forth.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I will chime in to say I seem to have resolved my 3rd gear grind with the Steeda shift bracket. It's easy enough to install without removing anything other than the old bracket.

It's basically a big chunk of metal with less flex than the stock one.

When first installed I had a bit of tougher engagement like the trans was new and need to be worked in again. It was also a bit louder engaging gear. I've had it about a year now and it seems like it's close to stock in sound and operation now and I have not been locked out of any gear since it was installed.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-...pvRDN5tX4z4vOaiGKKsyZuuuXsLcY7qRoCP7EQAvD_BwE
Sponsored