Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Damn...nice #s

car and driver just revealed the 2016 camaro SS curb weight: 3,685
And there it is. If C&D is on point then Chevy seriously downplayed their weight savings...so that means in estimates:

T4 auto 3339 lbs
V6 auto 3435 lbs
SS manual 3685 lbs

We’re told that the V-6, automatic-equipped Camaro 1LT is 294 pounds lighter than an identically equipped, 3729-pound 2015 1LT. (The quickest fifth-gen V-6 Camaro we tested weighed 3807 pounds.) A 2016 1SS with the manual transmission sheds 223 pounds compared to a 2015 1SS, which Chevy says weighed 3908 pounds. (In our testing, a fairly well-optioned 2010 SS manual weighed 3860 pounds.) If those weight deltas hold true, the new Camaro will have pulled off one of the more epic diet regimens in modern automotive memory. But what about the 2.0-liter, turbocharged base-model Camaro? Chevrolet claims it, with the roughly 20-pounds-heavier automatic, will weigh 3339 pounds, making it the lightest of the bunch and 390 pounds lighter than a ’15 Camaro V-6 with the automatic transmission.

Last edited:

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Well if these are true I'm impressed but Dat ass grrrrrrr why must it be so ugly

Sponsored

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
Damn...nice #s

And there it is. If C&D is on point then Chevy seriously downplayed their weight savings...so that means in estimates:

T4 auto 3339 lbs
V6 auto 3435 lbs
SS manual 3685 lbs

We’re told that the V-6, automatic-equipped Camaro 1LT is 294 pounds lighter than an identically equipped, 3729-pound 2015 1LT. (The quickest fifth-gen V-6 Camaro we tested weighed 3807 pounds.) A 2016 1SS with the manual transmission sheds 223 pounds compared to a 2015 1SS, which Chevy says weighed 3908 pounds. (In our testing, a fairly well-optioned 2010 SS manual weighed 3860 pounds.) If those weight deltas hold true, the new Camaro will have pulled off one of the more epic diet regimens in modern automotive memory. But what about the 2.0-liter, turbocharged base-model Camaro? Chevrolet claims it, with the roughly 20-pounds-heavier automatic, will weigh 3339 pounds, making it the lightest of the bunch and 390 pounds lighter than a ’15 Camaro V-6 with the automatic transmission.
I got to give credit where credit is due, chevy nailed it with the weight reduction. zl1 times are going to be pretty scary with the ss laying down these times. They might be kicking themselves in the long run by not going with a more revolutionary design.

GT350 is still the car to beat, but the ss is looking like a pretty damn good performance bang for your buck.

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
Daaammmn... That's siiiiiick that GM wasn't lying like mr.pill was saying.. I bet all the Camaro haters are feeling salty as hell.. Too bad the visibility sucks. Oh well, of course Ford is behind the times, and our new platform is behind :(

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Well if these are true I'm impressed but Dat ass grrrrrrr why must it be so ugly
Man Chevy really under promised and over-delievered here. Those #s are pretty crazy.

Their T4 is like 35 HP and 25 less HP yet is faster then the Mustang EB without PP and that's their entry model and heir V6 is faster then the EB with PP.

Have to hand it to them, they came out swinging.

GT350 is still the car to beat, but the ss is looking like a pretty damn good performance bang for your buck.
Not only the SS (which is absurd if those #s are true) but their V6 is a really damn good performance value also.

They might be kicking themselves in the long run by not going with a more revolutionary design.
Well if you go by media/people who have seen it in person, the same thing that was said about the Mustang when it was first revealed...you need to see it in person.

Daaammmn... That's siiiiiick that GM wasn't lying like mr.pill was saying.. I bet all the Camaro haters are feeling salty as hell.. Too bad the visibility sucks. Oh well, of course Ford is behind the times, and our new platform is behind :(
Ford really needs to come through on the '17. Chevy threw down and delivered. The '17 needs the 10 speed, some weight reduction, the F-150 digital gauges at the minimum now.

As for the visibility, according to the test drivers, it's not bad as you would think, plus the rear/sides are enhanced with the safety packages.

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
I got to give credit where credit is due, chevy nailed it with the weight reduction. zl1 times are going to be pretty scary with the ss laying down these times. They might be kicking themselves in the long run by not going with a more revolutionary design.

The GT350 isn't the car to beat for the regular Camaro's.. You're comparing apples to oranges. The GT350 is a high performance track oriented Mustang, and the SS Camaro is akin to our Mustang GT. When the ZL1 and Z28 come out, the GT350 is gonna get spanked (most likely)

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
Man Chevy really under promised and over-delievered here. Those #s are pretty crazy.

Their T4 is like 35 HP and 25 less HP yet is faster then the Mustang EB without PP and that's their entry model and heir V6 is faster then the EB with PP.

Have to hand it to them, they came out swinging.

Not only the SS (which is absurd if those #s are true) but their V6 is a really damn good performance value also.

Ford really needs to come through on the '17. Chevy threw down and delivered. The '17 needs the 10 speed, some weight reduction, the F-150 digital gauges at the minimum now.

As for the visibility, according to the test drivers, it's not bad as you would think, plus the rear/sides are enhanced with the safety packages.
I agree, but it's such a damn shame that the Mustang (On an all new platform, mind you) is behind and it's going to have to be refreshed in 2 MY's..

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Just for those who arnt impressed.

A C7 Z51 is 3.9 -12.2.....

OP
OP
Spartan

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I agree, but it's such a damn shame that the Mustang (On an all new platform, mind you) is behind and it's going to have to be refreshed in 2 MY's..
I agree it is a shame. There is no excuse that the Mustang at least didnt have a 8 speed auto in it and come in lighter.

I guarantee you now that Ford with these #s out/weights/etc will be doing something in the '17. They have to. Others will say they don't.

Sometimes it's better to be 2nd and see what the other did to set the bar. Chevy just leaped it.

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
I agree it is a shame. There is no excuse that the Mustang at least didnt have a 8 speed auto in it and come in lighter.

I guarantee you now that Ford with these #s out/weights/etc will be doing something in the '17. They have to. Others will say they don't.

Sometimes it's better to be 2nd and see what the other did to set the bar. Chevy just leaped it.
It's kinda funny too, because it's heresy to say the GT350 have an automatic, but look at the 0-60 times and quarter mile.... If the GT350 had an automatic(dct), the 0-60 times would be extremely absurd... Oh Ford.... Thanks for rendering our cars moot..... And wtf is up with no digital gauges, and hud... smh
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.