Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
:doh: I guess someone doesn't get how corporate America has worked for half a millennium or has never run a business- pure cost/benefit. No one is complacent, but everyone wants everything perfect as cheap as possible which simply does not exist; and sometimes things happen that are purely by chance and outside anything anyone could have ever reasonably seen happening or prevented.

I can think of numerous examples where neither anyone is at fault nor the product is defective. It could have very easily been somethign as simple as a hose clamp that was put on properly at the factory wiggled off under vibration of the engine and the hose popped off. No one's fault at all, and it was installed properly.

All I have seen is wild speculation and bad assumptions by a bunch of "know it all opinions" who want to throw blame around. Again, my suspicion here is that the cost to investigate 1 incident out of 75,000-100,000 sold doesn't make any financial sense.
I understand how crap companies are run...and how crap individuals make said companies worse. I help run a family business. We put our customers first. If it means losing a dollar here or there...so be it. We lose thousands of dollars a year giving away free products and refunding money. We also gain hundreds of customers because of our reputation. This is how we choose to do business...properly and with integrity. Does this mean it will push back our early retirement plans by a year or so? Maybe. But we put our core values up front and don't screw people over to get ahead in life.

My opinion on this whole ordeal stands...the dealership or Ford could have stepped forward and made sure the OP was happy by way of communication, a rental car or a guarantee that he will be taken care of when he goes to purchase a new vehicle (by way of a good price, etc). Not just the old CYA scenario and go suck eggs. It doesn't matter who caused the problem...even if it was just a plain freak accident or not. The fact remains that the dealership was the last place the car was touched. That should warrant the service department standing up and taking some initiative...REGARDLESS of who actually did what. It's far to easy for everyone to wash their hands of anything and stand back and do jack squat.

Also, saying an "expensive" investigation isn't worth it is pure BS. Sure from a purely financial standpoint it isn't. From a human decency standpoint, you bet your ass it is.

My opinion on this matter stands. It's complacency at it's finest.

Entick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Coupe
Any update on this? Did Ford make their move?

jasonc0604

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus SE "Slocus"
Yowser, glad the OP escaped this okay but that whole situation is something that can stick with you for a long time.

Since every other idiot on the planet has chimed in it must be time for this one to opine.

FoMoCo is not the same as your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer, legally. Of course, that depends on the issue at hand, the state in which you reside, the weight of a leprechaunā€™s pot of gold, the price of tea in China and a bazillion other things. None of that really matters here, though, because while there is only one person here with a fiduciary interest in this matter there are 7266 other members on this forum providing a gateway to the court of public opinion. That court is in fact the largest known to mankind - numbering in the billions and capable of delivering swift justice however they deem fit. If a new car catches fire for no apparent reason, nobody gives a shit if your local Ford isnā€™t really Ford and if the Ford in Detroit isnā€™t really your local Ford. Ford had a PR nightmare with the Pinto long before stupid people had access to the internet. Did customers walk into Ford dealerships and praise the employees for not being directly employed by FoMoCo and politely ask to be shown a vehicle that didnā€™t explode when tapped in the ass? Ralph Nader could have gave a flying f**k if the Chevy dealer wasnā€™t really Chevy (I hope he doesnā€™t read this forum because the thought of him rubbing one out to this thread may be more than I can take). But you could be damn sure the dealerships didnā€™t like that the blue hairs looking for a sedan didnā€™t know the difference between a Corvair and Corvette.

Why in the hell do people think that, because a car has 6,000 miles on it, it couldnā€™t possibly be a design fault or manufacturing defect that causes a car to catch fire? Hmmm, the warranty is for 36,000/60,000 miles but that only covers premature wear and tear, right? It says right in the fine print that all fires, explosions, brake failures and fluxes in the space-time continuum happen before the first oil change. Apparently, if something bad happens to a car after it leaves the state of Michigan it must be the ownerā€™s fault or some nefarious, dipshit grease monkey is to blame.

Granted, it is very difficult to prove liability, negligence and cause & effect in a situation like this ā€“ particularly since it was a fire. The ā€œfire scienceā€ taught to investigators and relied on for the last 50 years has been exposed as mostly hokum and efforts to gain new understanding are just getting started. And who knows, maybe Stone Phillips took one of the incendiary devices planted on the GMC trucks and had a little fun with the OP. Maybe an ex-girlfriend is trying to do him in. Maybe FoMoCo should look up the concept of ā€˜res ipsa loquiturā€™ and realize the onus is on them at this point. Maybe they already haveā€¦ or maybe they donā€™t care yet.

Equine fact: some Mustangs are in fact Pintos but not all Pintos are in fact Mustangs.
Can I buy some of your pot?

Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Yowser, glad the OP escaped this okay but that whole situation is something that can stick with you for a long time.

Since every other idiot on the planet has chimed in it must be time for this one to opine.

FoMoCo is not the same as your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer, legally. Of course, that depends on the issue at hand, the state in which you reside, the weight of a leprechaunā€™s pot of gold, the price of tea in China and a bazillion other things. None of that really matters here, though, because while there is only one person here with a fiduciary interest in this matter there are 7266 other members on this forum providing a gateway to the court of public opinion. That court is in fact the largest known to mankind - numbering in the billions and capable of delivering swift justice however they deem fit. If a new car catches fire for no apparent reason, nobody gives a shit if your local Ford isnā€™t really Ford and if the Ford in Detroit isnā€™t really your local Ford. Ford had a PR nightmare with the Pinto long before stupid people had access to the internet. Did customers walk into Ford dealerships and praise the employees for not being directly employed by FoMoCo and politely ask to be shown a vehicle that didnā€™t explode when tapped in the ass? Ralph Nader could have gave a flying f**k if the Chevy dealer wasnā€™t really Chevy (I hope he doesnā€™t read this forum because the thought of him rubbing one out to this thread may be more than I can take). But you could be damn sure the dealerships didnā€™t like that the blue hairs looking for a sedan didnā€™t know the difference between a Corvair and Corvette.

Why in the hell do people think that, because a car has 6,000 miles on it, it couldnā€™t possibly be a design fault or manufacturing defect that causes a car to catch fire? Hmmm, the warranty is for 36,000/60,000 miles but that only covers premature wear and tear, right? It says right in the fine print that all fires, explosions, brake failures and fluxes in the space-time continuum happen before the first oil change. Apparently, if something bad happens to a car after it leaves the state of Michigan it must be the ownerā€™s fault or some nefarious, dipshit grease monkey is to blame.

Granted, it is very difficult to prove liability, negligence and cause & effect in a situation like this ā€“ particularly since it was a fire. The ā€œfire scienceā€ taught to investigators and relied on for the last 50 years has been exposed as mostly hokum and efforts to gain new understanding are just getting started. And who knows, maybe Stone Phillips took one of the incendiary devices planted on the GMC trucks and had a little fun with the OP. Maybe an ex-girlfriend is trying to do him in. Maybe FoMoCo should look up the concept of ā€˜res ipsa loquiturā€™ and realize the onus is on them at this point. Maybe they already haveā€¦ or maybe they donā€™t care yet.

Equine fact: some Mustangs are in fact Pintos but not all Pintos are in fact Mustangs.
think your third paragraph just doesn't hold water. The entire engine and drive system, albeit with some electronic and seemingly superficial physical changes, of the GT are virtually unchanged since the advent of the S197 series System. The fact that the vehicle seemingly ran fine until post dealer intervention is suspect at best and I think that's the sensitive nerve that has people questioning not Ford itself but the lack of acknowledgement from the dealer. We all understand that litigation and liability go hand in hand and this could be a totally isolated event hence why the dealer has not come forward. Still, a simple phone call from the dealer to the OP explaining this would have done wonders to ease anxiety.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Why in the hell do people think that, because a car has 6,000 miles on it, it couldnā€™t possibly be a design fault or manufacturing defect that causes a car to catch fire?
If it were a design flaw we would see a lot more than just 1 occurrence of this issue. If it were a manufacturing defect the odds of only 1 messed up part out of the tens of thousands (if not 100,000s by now) being produced is insanely unlikely (yes possible, but so is my Mustang flying me to the moon).

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
His Insurance company is USAA and they take care of you...top notch!
They are only "Top Notch" if you are their customer, if you are a claimant that is not their customer, i.e. you were hit by one of their customers, they take their sweet time in taking care of you and they are also quite condescending in the manner in which they speak to you... I was hit by a USAA member, and USAA took 2 weeks to get an adjuster out to the shop I left my car at, when I called them about the delays, their POC stated "if you're in a hurry why don't you have your insurance take care of it", to which I responded "because I'm not at fault, your customer is, why would I want to involve my insurance company?". This was after about a week, and it still took another week for them to get their act together. That guy really thought I'd take the financial hit because I wanted things done in a timely manner, or at least he was hoping I would....

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I am so glad you have all of this information not available to the rest of us as to what caused the fire! Please tell me more about what exactly did cause it and how you know for a fact it was not a broken part or battery or something else from wear and tear?
There are very few items on a car that would be the responsibility of the owner as far as wear and tear goes particularly since the car only had 6000 miles on it. With the exception of possibly brakes and tires, everything else would still be under warranty.

Thompyt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic/Red Redline GT PP Premium
If it were a design flaw we would see a lot more than just 1 occurrence of this issue. If it were a manufacturing defect the odds of only 1 messed up part out of the tens of thousands (if not 100,000s by now) being produced is insanely unlikely (yes possible, but so is my Mustang flying me to the moon).
I'd first look at what the dealer did for the warranty work, before going to a Ford based issue.

If this went into litigation, USAA would be the one trying to recoup the monies and not the OP.

Sponsored

Ivabign596

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
After reading thru this thread hereā€™s my take;

First, this isnā€™t a misaligned body panel, squeaky brake or trim problem. This is a major issue that could have resulted in a death. Thankfully this has only been reported once, but in a case like this once is enough.

From what Iā€™ve read the OP was driving back from the car being serviced when this happened, and there werenā€™t any mods done that could have affected this. By updates from the OP (5ohslow) Ford is not going to investigate the matter themselves (too expensive) or offer any assistance in getting a new car (not even an ā€˜Xā€™ plan deal). Really? Is that how Ford reacts when something tragic happens to one of their customers? You would think there could be some way they could provide support without admitting culpability until the final analysis is completed. In the long run what would it cost them to let this guy get a replacement car at ā€˜Aā€™ or ā€˜Zā€™ plan pricing?

I donā€™t currently own a Mustang, Iā€™m just a guy thatā€™s always liked them and Iā€™m looking very seriously at a 2015. Iā€™m in my 50ā€™s and could easily pay cash for whatever model I wanted. Ford is fortunate enough to have an extremely loyal and passionate customer base for the Mustang, but when I see issues like this and Fordā€™s response I wonder if that relationship is very one sided. If youā€™re on the fence with buying a 2015 Mustang (like I am), issues like this and Fordā€™s response isnā€™t helping them sell a carā€¦

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Is that how Ford reacts when something tragic happens to one of their customers?

And what about the dealership?

I can take your same thought and say...

Is this how the dealership reacts when something happens to their customers after just leaving the service department????

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So again where was this serviced? What dealership?

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
There are very few items on a car that would be the responsibility of the owner as far as wear and tear goes particularly since the car only had 6000 miles on it. With the exception of possibly brakes and tires, everything else would still be under warranty.
If you read the quote I originally quoted with the above I am not blaming the OP I was pointing out the huge flaws of an earlier poster who put all blame on ford and stated nothing could have been done wrong at the dealer to cause a fire. I agree it is not the OPs fault.

Ivabign596

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
If you read the quote I originally quoted with the above I am not blaming the OP I was pointing out the huge flaws of an earlier poster who put all blame on ford and stated nothing could have been done wrong at the dealer to cause a fire. I agree it is not the OPs fault.
No one may know for certain if this is Ford or the dealers fault, but since Ford is at the top of the food chain you would assume that they would first take care of their customer first, and then sort it out later.

Unless there's some other damning evidence that hasn't been revealed it's clearly not the OP's fault, and I think ultimately the responsibility would lay with Ford to take action on this. I'm a little disgusted at the way they've distanced themselves from it and honestly this is the kind of crap you'd expect from the government, not a beloved car company. The OP isn't asking for a free car with damages, he's just asking to get his ride back. Setting him up with a new car at cost is the least they could do for the poor guy, IMO...
Sponsored