Carbon trap removal, +18 hp ??

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Even if it is proven on the dyno, you're still not feeling that difference.

I hate to be a broken record here, but man I gotta tell you again, you just cannot feel an 8-10 hp increase in a 470 hp car. Our minds and bodies do not work that way. It's in your head.
But mostly because it weighs 4000 lbs. 10 HP difference can be felt in a Miata

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
So, if Tony’s numbers are accurate
If Ford retuned the car for the trap then taking it out would cause issues with how the car runs. This is why I think there is only the difference of 470 back to 480hp
For '22-'23 GTs, the diameter at the MAF is smaller by 2.5 mm (95 vs. 97.5 mm) with the insert sleeve installed. This diameter is part of the fuel mapping. The MAF measures flow velocity directly. ECU then calculates the volumetric flow based on the known flow area (pi*D^2/4) times the measured flow velocity. Using the measured inlet air temperature and pressure, the ECU has a lookup table for density. Volumetric flow * density gives the air mass flow. Now it knows how much fuel to inject to hit the targeted lambda.

If you yank the insert sleeve and don't tell the ECU the new diameter, it will see the lower flow velocity measured by the MAF (due to the larger area) and assume the engine's getting less air. It will inject less fuel and run lean until the wideband O2s detect the lean condition in the exhaust gas. Short term fuel trims will then add fuel to correct. If that correction is less than a certain amount from the baseline map (+/- 10% ?) it won't throw a CEL. Else, it will.

This is my understanding of how it works and why Ford would need to modify the factory tune to account for the smaller diameter at the MAF.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
For '22-'23 GTs, the diameter at the MAF is smaller by 2.5 mm (95 vs. 97.5 mm) with the insert sleeve installed. This diameter is part of the fuel mapping. The MAF measures flow velocity directly. ECU then calculates the volumetric flow based on the known flow area (pi*D^2/4) times the measured flow velocity. Using the measured inlet air temperature and pressure, the ECU has a lookup table for density. Volumetric flow * density gives the air mass flow. Now it knows how much fuel to inject to hit the targeted lambda.

If you yank the insert sleeve and don't tell the ECU the new diameter, it will see the lower flow velocity measured by the MAF (due to the larger area) and assume the engine's getting less air. It will inject less fuel and run lean until the wideband O2s detect the lean condition in the exhaust gas. Short term fuel trims will then add fuel to correct. If that correction is less than a certain amount from the baseline map (+/- 10% ?) it won't throw a CEL. Else, it will.

This is my understanding of how it works and why Ford would need to modify the factory tune to account for the smaller diameter at the MAF.
The difference is actually 20% fuel trims with the sleeve removed. I know this because it is my chubby thumb in OP's original post photo, and me and Wengerd tested it out.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
They added a filter for emissions and it restricted the airflow. Resulting in less power. If anything they would have tuned the car to perform better and minimize the impact of the air restriction meaning removing it will increase HP to more than the tune for the 21 prior cars.

The point is ford didn’t change the tune. Dynos can be about 10 hp off depending on weather and other factors. So the same car can be 465 one day and 475 the next without changing any tunes.
And you know this how?

Insider contact at Ford?

Cause I’ve seen a couple of hints to the contrary quoted on these pages. No, I don’t have the quotes handy but they aren’t hard to find.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
...so, back to my question, if doing an E-85 tune with an 87mm throttle body diameter, does deleting the insert to go from 95mm to 97.5 mm diameter at the MAF have any measurable benefit?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
no way it's 20%
Mkay. All I can tell you is that when I removed both the carbon trap and sleeve, and then sent a log to Wengerd (unfortunately using the TDN App at the time) STFT was +20%. Put the sleeve back in, and fuel trims returned to normal.

The diameter change inside the intake tract is fairly significant with the sleeve removed. I did not measure it because I knew I was going to be omitting all that crap anyway.

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
no way it's 20%
Correct. Free area of a 95mm pipe is 7084.6 square mm and on a 97.5mm pipe it is 7462.4 square mm. So it’s a 5.3% difference which the ECM will be fine with.

FWIW, I yanked the whole stock ‘22 GT air intake assembly and used an ‘18-up Corsa carbon fiber CAI. Works perfectly with no CEL and no tune changes.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
...so, back to my question, if doing an E-85 tune with an 87mm throttle body diameter, does deleting the insert to go from 95mm to 97.5 mm diameter at the MAF have any measurable benefit?
It's more than 2.5mm difference, and no, you won't gain any noticeable power.

This is on a MACH1/GT350 intake. Unsure what the difference is on a GT

Sleeve in

Sleeve in.jpeg

Sleeve out

Sleeve out.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The diameter change inside the intake tract is fairly significant with the sleeve removed. I did not measure it because I knew I was going to be omitting all that crap anyway.
I believe he believed that. But going from a 108 JLT to a 120 PMAS wasn't even 20%

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
I believe he believed that. But going from a 108 JLT to a 120 PMAS wasn't even 20%
We are talking about the MACH1 intake right? Considering this is a MACH1 Subforum? Look at the photos I just attached above. You don't need a micrometer to see that the difference in diameter is certainly more than 2.5mm. The plastic wall of the sleeve itself is at least 2mm

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
My numbers were all for GT intakes. Mach 1 might be a bigger difference. Would be interested to know the specifics.

rubyredponycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
that's torque, not hp
Hp= torque x rpm.

Since we’re not changing anything else in the system more torque will mean more horsepower.

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
My numbers were all for GT intakes. Mach 1 might be a bigger difference. Would be interested to know the specifics.

Yeah, and since OP's car is a MACH1, I foolishly thought we were talking about MACH1 intakes, in the MACH 1 subforum
Sponsored