Sponsored

Carbon trap removal, +18 hp ??

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
But most cold air intakes require a tune right?

While the car can make adjustments, I’d imagine that if we are changing air flow enough to gain 18HP, the trims are worth looking at.
The fuel trim was looked at before and after removal of the plastic tube. Keeping the plastic tube out does throw it off quite a bit if I remember but putting the plastic tube back in puts it back to basically what it was before.
Sponsored

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
The fuel trim was looked at before and after removal of the plastic tube. Keeping the plastic tube out does throw it off quite a bit if I remember but putting the plastic tube back in puts it back to basically what it was before.
If I remember correctly, the carbon filter is AFTER the mass flow sensor, whereas the tube is present before, at and after the sensor. In other words, removing the carbon trap should have little effect on the sensor readings, but the tube should remain on the car.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Does the added diameter of the sleeve removal account for part of the 18hp? I think Tony gained the 18 with both carbon trap and sleeve removed. If I remove the sleeve as well, would a tune correct the fuel mixture and allow me to use the full intake diameter?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Does the added diameter of the sleeve removal account for part of the 18hp? I think Tony gained the 18 with both carbon trap and sleeve removed. If I remove the sleeve as well, would a tune correct the fuel mixture and allow me to use the full intake diameter?
By all accounts that I recall from that video (actually he has 2 or 3 videos about it), the 18hp gain remains after putting the tube back in.

C-WOODS-70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 A-Code coupe, '67 A-Code coupe, '22 GT PP 6MT
Seems like the increase in power would all be WOT at high RPM’s as that is when the engine needs the most air. I would think any perceived gain at lower RPM’s is all mental.

Sponsored

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Not reading this whole thread since there are 10 others like it but go on YouTube and there are dyno videos of just the trap being removed gaining a GT 12 or so hp.

I’ve seen that Mach 1 video with 18hp gained, it does seem high but the proof is there that you gain real horsepower for free by removing the trap. Best $/hp i spent on my car lol.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Also the videos I have seen it does boost hp mostly at the top end but has small gains elsewhere in the curve. again, it’s free and who wouldn’t take 1hp for free with no detriment?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Also the videos I have seen it does boost hp mostly at the top end but has small gains elsewhere in the curve. again, it’s free and who wouldn’t take 1hp for free with no detriment?
Not to mention that at the very least, it gets you back to the HP that the Mach 1's had before the trap was added.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Now that I’ve been driving my car around for a couple days and really getting into it on open roads and the highway there is definitely an increase in torque and horsepower, as for one post saying that you wouldn’t able to feel an 18 hp increase, I beg to differ, if you know and understand the feel of your vehicle you will notice that difference,
just saying
If you can really feel a 3.8% increase in peak power (and probably less outside of the power RPM), you have one of human history's most sensitive butts and should donate it to science.

In any case, I'm glad you're enjoying your ride.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Nope.

By all accounts that I recall from that video (actually he has 2 or 3 videos about it), the 18hp gain remains after putting the tube back in.
^ This right here.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Any of yous verify the gain at the track ? You'll be 2/10ths faster. Otherwise all this blah blah gains is fantasy.

OP
OP
Dan2023

Dan2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If you can really feel a 3.8% increase in peak power (and probably less outside of the power RPM), you have one of human history's most sensitive butts and should donate it to science.

In any case, I'm glad you're enjoying your ride.
In my opinion, even a 3.8% increase you will feel at the pedal,
Just saying, 😊

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Ford would never give out inaccurate horsepower,i.e. 03-04 Cobra. Tony had 18 rwhp on his dyno and LMR had 14 rwhp.
At least on the too high side of things. They’ve learned that lesson I think.

But what they might do is not tell us the complete truth about every single calibration they change. I personally believe that may have happened with the 22-23 10 hp reduction. Maybe the carbon filter did take it down a little and satisfied the EPA. But maybe at the same time there were other calibration changes made to take up the slack and Ford just didn’t mention them, and maybe these changes magnify the effect of removing the CF. I remember reading posts here quoting Ford officials saying other [unspecified] changes were made.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Well to make everyone happy we need someone that lives close to a dyno with a 22-23 Mach 1 with no mods and to do a before and after removing the hydrocarbon filter and report back.
Sponsored