Potential purchase 1st Mustang

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also agree with Hoofer on a comparison. Make sure to factor in a warranty if that’s important to you. Also know that the S650 cannot be tuned unless you buy a Whipple or the coming-soon VMP kit that Ford has authorized for S650. And you must use the tune that comes with it, it will be warranty safe but not pushed to the limit either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
93 VW Corrado, 71 Porsche 911
New GT over 5 year old GT all day long. There's nothing special about a Bullit other than the green.
IDK it's a numbered special edition... or maybe I'm over thinking it??

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
Also agree with Hoofer on a comparison. Make sure to factor in a warranty if that’s important to you. Also know that the S650 cannot be tuned unless you buy a Whipple or the coming-soon VMP kit that Ford has authorized for S650. And you must use the tune that comes with it, it will be warranty safe but not pushed to the limit either.
Do we think that is the way of the future or can the s650 cannot be tuned YET because it's too new?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Do we think that is the way of the future or can the s650 cannot be tuned YET because it's too new?
C8 is locked down also (some have claimed to crack it though). Seems to me manufacturers are moving this direction, I’m assuming mostly due to EPA regulations. I really think it all depends on what this fully networked vehicle thing means, what systems talk to what, etc. In theory, the car can say it’s been tampered with and certain things could shut down. But I don’t think anyone really knows what is connected to what yet. Whipple has been given the keys to the ECU for their supercharger kit, I’m sure it cost them a pretty penny for it.

If you want more tuning options, S550 is the way to go for now. Remains to be seen when/if S650 gets cracked

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
C8 is locked down also (some have claimed to crack it though). Seems to me manufacturers are moving this direction, I’m assuming mostly due to EPA regulations. I really think it all depends on what this fully networked vehicle thing means, what systems talk to what, etc. In theory, the car can say it’s been tampered with and certain things could shut down. But I don’t think anyone really knows what is connected to what yet. Whipple has been given the keys to the ECU for their supercharger kit, I’m sure it cost them a pretty penny for it.

If you want more tuning options, S550 is the way to go for now. Remains to be seen when/if S650 gets cracked
ugh that sucks, I don't leave any vehicle I have stock

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
ugh that sucks, I don't leave any vehicle I have stock
S550 is probably the way to go then. There’s very little difference in terms of the way they drive. Wheel fitment is all the same. Aftermarket is much deeper for S550 right now too (as to be expected with S650 being so new still). Lots of good, low mileage S550’s still out there at pretty good prices.

GregR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I try to avoid purchasing used cars with accident histories as well. They're hard to find though, people have accidents, that's part of driving cars. In some cases it's not actually an accident you see on a report though, it's the owner filing an insurance claim for some reason. In the case of the car I bought they hit a dog and filed an insurance claim. I was able to view the receipts from the work. They also had someone back into their passenger door in a parking lot, minimal damage. They cracked the front lip on a curb, filled the claim but never had it fixed. Carfax takes this into consideration when valuing the car, the other pricing services do not.

I tend to overanalyze things like this when I'm buying a car, try not to, use it as information to get a good price, and to feel good about the purchase.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
If it were me, I would absolutely stay away.
The car is modified by someone and you don’t know who, you have no idea what kind of life it had before, it was wrecked fairly badly if CARFAX is calling it moderate damage..
They are also asking a bit much for a wrecked car because is has the Blower, which adds zero actual value to the car, unless the buyer specifically wants it.

There are plenty of much lower mileage ones out there, and I’m sure a few Garage Queens where someone else was kind enough to store the car for you. Generally those cars also have Ceramic Coating, PPF film and other higher end mods that are less intrusive then a Supercharger.

If one Dealer is offering you that kind of money on a trade, so can any other, unless they are playing games with the sale price, which more than likely they are.

Personally, I have sold my last 3 cars by going to KBB to get a value and then hitting the button that says get offers. I managed to get anywhere from $2200$-$6400 more than any Dealer offered on the trade, more than enough to make up for the taxes saved, if you live in one of the States that only makes you pay the difference between old and new.

You will get multiple calls and if they are really interested tell them you’re taking to a couple of other dealers also, so you’re waiting on prices from them as well. You will be shocked what a day or two of taking phone calls and making them pay the waiting game will do as far as increasing their offer.

I’ve done this on my last 4 cars in the last 18 months and every single time ended up in a much better place.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps and good luck.

Graemecdn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2018 Lexus RC 350
I bought a new 2020 Bullitt. There were only 3 options available: MagneRide, Recaro Seats and Tech Package (which includes navigation) in Canada.
All the other goodies were standard on the Bullitt.
I have owned 2 other Mustang GTs, a 2005 and a 2014. In my opinion the Bullitt is the best of the three by a considerable margin. Good luck with your decision.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
IDK it's a numbered special edition... or maybe I'm over thinking it??
No you are not overthinking it.
It is a special edition throwback mustang with added performance and uniqueness over a regular GT. It is worth a premium over regular GTs but again, I would caution you on that specific car you are looking at since it has accidents, engine modifications and higher mileage. Negotiate the shit out of it if you buy that.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bullitt is a cool car with a cool heritage. I’d personally stay away from the first one you mentioned. The combo of the accident and the procharger/tune and not knowing anything about that tune can lead to some big headaches down the road. A quick CarGurus search shows some nice, low mileage and 1-2 owner cars with a clean history for pretty good prices. I personally would dig more into those and then make it your own however you want.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@DFERA what is your wishlist for the Bullitt and what goals would you like to achieve with it (i.e., a nice cruiser/looker with power, or a car you can road race or drag race)?

OP
OP

DFERA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
@DFERA what is your wishlist for the Bullitt and what goals would you like to achieve with it (i.e., a nice cruiser/looker with power, or a car you can road race or drag race)?
At this point I’m just looking for a cruiser, something for the weekends and cars and coffee type thing. Doubt I will do any forced induction, but I wouldn’t turn one away if it was already on the car.
I already have two other projects; a 93 VW Corrado with a fully built VR6 ready to drop in and a 71 Porsche 911 wide body that is a full on project.
I agree that first one I posted isn’t the best example but it is local. Maybe if they came down $5-7k maybe.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I agree that first one I posted isn’t the best example but it is local.
All I would say is a lot of places will help you arrange shipping and depending on how far it is, it’s usually not very expensive. There’s 3rd parties that will do an inspection for you and it’s usually not more than a couple hundred bucks (totally worth it, I would not rely on a dealer unless they’re going to give you a return period or warranty). For me, I’d rather do that than take a gamble on something like your first example.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
I would stay away from that one because of the accident, the pro charger, and the dealership name just whips. Doesn’t give a warm fuzzy they know much about the car.
As for it being a special edition numbered car, the pro charger and the accident kind of negate any real appreciation it may have in time. The pro charger can be removed, but the accident cannot.
I would look for something that with a clean title.
Sponsored