Sponsored

New Mustang Dash Board delaminating?? Dashboard pimples?? Under Warranty?? 2023 MACH 1

Bruce 8858

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 #3009
So I am genuinely perplexed, and not sure to whether blow head gasket or if I’m overreacting here. I have a 2023, which I purchased in September 2023 preview and have garage kept since with 2100 miles as of today. I literally baby the S@&$ out of this car, it gets little to no sun as I generally take it for an evening cruise, go to dinner, etc. How is it possible that these little bumps are appearing on the dash? When I press down, they seem to go down a bit, just looks like the letters is Raising off the surface.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Should warranty cover this?

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg
I suppose I’ll chuck that turtle wax bottle and invest in
Yep that’s it.
Yeah unless it worsens I’m gonna just apply some leather conditioner to it and if that helps, I’ll update here.
I see by the license plates hanging on your garage wall that you live in Florida too. I had the front windshield tinted with a very light tint, but it has a higher UV resistance. And I also use a windshield sunshade when I park the car outside. I would be willing to bet that this is caused by the heat from being in the sun. If you do these two things that would probably help cut down on the heat beating down on your dashboard.
Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I have seen a similar prpblem and the owner put a small pin hole in it and rolled over it with a deep socket and that did the trick. Not saying it works and may have been a fake as most videos are these days.

OP
OP
elmach1

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I see by the license plates hanging on your garage wall that you live in Florida too. I had the front windshield tinted with a very light tint, but it has a higher UV resistance. And I also use a windshield sunshade when I park the car outside. I would be willing to bet that this is caused by the heat from being in the sun. If you do these two things that would probably help cut down on the heat beating down on your dashboard.

OP
OP
elmach1

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Hey Bruce, good morning, yes, actually located in Miami. However, I’m not sure what could have caused this since the car has been in the sun maybe 5 hours total for a few cars and coffee events. But I rarely use the car during the day much. And it lives in a garage, that’s why I was so confused as to how this could happen since it seems like result of heat/sun damage

Sponsored

Bruce 8858

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 #3009
Hey Bruce, good morning, yes, actually located in Miami. However, I’m not sure what could have caused this since the car has been in the sun maybe 5 hours total for a few cars and coffee events. But I rarely use the car during the day much. And it lives in a garage, that’s why I was so confused as to how this could happen since it seems like result of heat/sun damage
Well, it looked like sun or heat damage to me. I didn’t know if it was a daily or not. Sorry if I misunderstood.

OP
OP
elmach1

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Well, it looked like sun or heat damage to me. I didn’t know if it was a daily or not. Sorry if I misunderstood.
No worries! It’s the reason for the post. I can’t figure what, if not extended sun/heat, would cause this? 🤷‍♂️
That’s why when it happened to my garage queen, I was flabbergasted. My sierra 1500 sits in the sun day in and day out…no dash pimples in site

Bruce 8858

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 #3009
No worries! It’s the reason for the post. I can’t figure what, if not extended sun/heat, would cause this? 🤷‍♂️
That’s why when it happened to my garage queen, I was flabbergasted. My sierra 1500 sits in the sun day in and day out…no dash pimples in site
I am having our garage insulated this coming week because during the summer it gets too hot to even go out in there.

OP
OP
elmach1

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I am having our garage insulated this coming week because during the summer it gets too hot to even go out in there.
💡 feel free to post a photo when you’re done. I’d love to insulate my garage a bit! 🥵

Bruce 8858

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 #3009
💡 feel free to post a photo when you’re done. I’d love to insulate my garage a bit! 🥵
No problem. I’ll be sure to do that. The guy is coming out on Wednesday and it shouldn’t take more than an hour to have it done. He is going to blow in an R30 value of insulation in the attic above the garage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I am genuinely perplexed, and not sure to whether blow head gasket or if I’m overreacting here. I have a 2023, which I purchased in September 2023 preview and have garage kept since with 2100 miles as of today. I literally baby the S@&$ out of this car, it gets little to no sun as I generally take it for an evening cruise, go to dinner, etc. How is it possible that these little bumps are appearing on the dash? When I press down, they seem to go down a bit, just looks like the letters is Raising off the surface.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Should warranty cover this?

IMG_3654.jpeg

IMG_3653.jpeg
The leather stitched dash - it’s a common issue for what you’re seeing as far as the small bubbles sporadically appearing. The reason is the leather is adhered to the dash shell and it “lifts” due to expansion/contraction of the 2 pieces of leather.

It doesn’t matter if the car is in the sun or not in the sun. What matters is interior temperature, exterior temps and also moisture (humidity) in the air, which contributes to expansion/contraction of interior soft goods - and yes that applies to even a stored car out of the sun.

Depending on your vehicle’s invoiced date, if it still has the new car 3/36 in play be it by years or miles (whichever comes first), take it to your selling Dealer (or any local Ford Dealer) for a warranty inquiry or repair.

As far as what would be done, there isn’t any way they can lift or repair the leather on the dash shell (and won’t). As others have said, if it’s a warranty repair, the repair would be an entire dash replacement… that’s the only option.

As far as would Ford approve of that type of warranty repair, it’s anyone’s guess. My assumption would be they would look at it just like we are; as others stated who have the same dash, it’s so common that since there isn’t any safety or major cosmetic splitting, breakage of the leather, larger bubbles, etc., Ford probably would not approve a warranty replacement. If you as the owner “push” Ford and want that repair, then also be prepared for other issues that could result from a complete dash replacement… So ask yourself are you willing to deal with other issues for such a repair, or just deal with the minuscule bubbles.

If the car is beyond the 3/36, that type of concern would not be covered under any other Ford warranty including any ESP… and again to repair would be to replace the entire dash shell that comes with leather adhered to it.

Leather conditioners and cleaners will not make the bubbles subside. The only other way you *might* be able to remedy leather issues is by using steam/heat to shrink the leather. This is common in upholstery and custom interior industries where leather is used for headliners, consoles, A-pillar trim, door pulls, etc, etc. I posted this leather DIY a while ago, check out the links within it. It’s applicable to leather seating, but like I said the technique is used for many leather interior soft goods.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ting-surfaces-or-remove-dents-wrinkles.72454/

I also posted this a while back which contains the Ford GSB’s regarding what is and isn’t covered for leather warranty claims:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-used-to-be-gsb-g0000129.112230/#post-3696543

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Definitely appreciate everyone’s input, and will try the conditioner route.
Is the general consensus to apply the conditioner and blow it with a warm air from blow dryer? Is it OK to use the pictured protectant spray or a leather conditioner instead?

IMG_3667.jpeg
Despite the appearance of stitching, keep in mind that the dashboard is a textured soft touch plastic and not leather/artificial leather (vinyl).

So, the use of a trim dressing such as 303 Protectant, Koch Chemie Top Star, Carpro Perl or the Turtle Wax pictured are actually the preferred products to use here. A leather conditioner won't do much in this situation.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Despite the appearance of stitching, keep in mind that the dashboard is a textured soft touch plastic and not leather/artificial leather (vinyl).
I know that’s true for our euro spec, but is it the same for the premium USDM specs ?

WD :like:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I know that’s true for our euro spec, but is it the same for the premium USDM specs ?

WD :like:
Well, this is Ford remember, why would they make one of their products more expensive to manufacture. Considering how much hard, scratchy plastic they use in the Mustang, actual leather on the dashboard is highly unlikely.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with Florida humidity than the sun. I live in Arizona and have not had that happen to either of my S550s.

As others have said, that's not actual leather on the dash. So I'm not sure what good that conditioner would do.
Sponsored