Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550
So I know this might sound like an oxymoron for this type of a forum, but I'm curious what your best MPG trip/tank is?

I recently got into hypermiling, and I thought it would be fun to see what the Mustang has for gas efficiency potential. I get 61+ mpg all day long in my 15 Corolla (rated 29 city, 38 hwy), so I'm hoping I can get at least 35 in my 16 Mustang v6. We'll see.
Sponsored

bmfa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Cammo 2015 GT
I posted mine a while ago. Driving conservatively (very) I got 29.5. That was after driving 125 miles. BUT everyone thought I reset it to make it look like I was doing good.... kids. But be prepared for this thread to light up with naysayers.

OP
OP

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550
I posted mine a while ago. Driving conservatively (very) I got 29.5. That was after driving 125 miles. BUT everyone thought I reset it to make it look like I was doing good.... kids. But be prepared for this thread to light up with naysayers.
Yea I'm used to it haha. Fortunately most cars these days come with real-time analysis that allow the driver to understand when you launch a car, you are getting like 3 mpg haha. It's all about maximizing momentum, minimizing braking, and not doing WOT. Jack rabbit starts are terrible for MPG (but so fun in a Mustang haha). It's also funny how many people race to red lights, and then idle for 3 minutes. 7 seconds or longer, I shut my car off (again, only if I'm hypermiling for "fun").

Also, the difference between driving at 55mph and 75mph is like 25% more fuel being used. If I'm hypermiling in my Corolla, the vehicle's most efficient speed is like 44 mph. Plus if you do the whole pulse and glide technique, it's easy for me to get 80+ mpg on short trips. But for full tanks over 700+ miles, it's usually around 61 mpg.

Driving technique plays a large role in MPG ability. My wife in the same car, while trying to hypermile, gets 45 mpg max. Wayne Gerdes (guy who coined the term hypermile, owner of cleanmpg.com, Guiness World Record holder), gives excellent advise/tips.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Topped off the tank and jumped right on the interstate for a road trip. Got right at 27 MPG. Manual trans with 3:55's.

Sponsored

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Driving ~80mph to Florida from North Carolina, I was just over 24 MPG. I'll get my high gas mileage score driving down the outer banks next summer. Had my Pontiac G6 GT at over 40+ MPG there, helps the elevation change on an 80 mile section is like 4' with no stoplights, haha.

bmfa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
Cammo 2015 GT
I'm driving mine to Vegas week of 23rd. I'm gonna do an overall mpg test for the drive out there. (Driving my normal)

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
My best in the Mustang is 22mpg. That was a full tank of highway driving with the cruise set at 81mph.

My best tanks ever were in the TDI - 55mpg with the cruise set at 65mph. It was repeatable, too, although I didn't usually drive so slow.

OP
OP

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550

Sponsored

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
On a long trip from Texas Hill Country to Louisiana, I pulled into a "no name" gas station that advertised "ethanol-free" gasoline. So what the hell, let me try this stuff...29.1 mpg after 220 miles of driving. Kinda impressed as my Cyclone regularly averages 26.7mpg.

OP
OP

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550
On a long trip from Texas Hill Country to Louisiana, I pulled into a "no name" gas station that advertised "ethanol-free" gasoline. So what the hell, let me try this stuff...29.1 mpg after 220 miles of driving. Kinda impressed as my Cyclone regularly averages 26.7mpg.
E0 is the best fuel to get, but it's typically not worth the added cost. You will get better gas mileage (ranging from 2-8%), but the cost increase for E0 is typically a lot more than an 8% surplus. I wish I could get E0 for the same price, but for now it's E10 @ Shell for me. Around here, E0 costs like 30% more.

How "normal" was your driving, and what was the speed average would you guess?

I can't wait til I pick up my cyclone so I can see if I can do well or not with it, as I have no idea what to expect.

Good website for E0 availability for those interested:

http://pure-gas.org/

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
27.9 on a 400 mile road trip with 95% highway. Average speed was 80mph.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
E0 is the best fuel to get, but it's typically not worth the added cost.

How "normal" was your driving, and what was the speed average would you guess?

I can't wait til I pick up my cyclone so I can see if I can do well...

I usually drive 72 on long trips and never speed in Louisiana as the roads are bad and the Smokies worse! I really baby my Cyclone vert as there's really nothing to prove...a great priced convertible that runs well and gets decent MPG.:clap2: But let me also say that my last 2013 GT got great MPG...about 22 always.:thumbsup::cheers:
Sponsored