Sponsored

Would you drive your GT for work? (@55cents/mile)

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Having your company absorb some of the cost of ownership is appealing, but I wouldn't want to put that many miles on it. But that's just me. There are people who put a ton of (happy) miles on their car and don't get compensated. Everyone's different.
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
It depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. If you're one of those people who only keep a car for a few years and trades in, then you couldn't pay me enough to put those miles on it. If you keep cars for the long haul and aren't worried about the value of a high mileage car, then drive the wheels off it. There are worse ways to spend your time then behind the wheel of a Mustang.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I am driving a lot for work - this week alone, 600 miles. My ride is bought and paid for, so I figure I will let the company buy some of it back. Right now gas is cheap, so off I go. $330 bucks.
- $60 gas.
- $24 tires
- $4 oil
- $ yada yada? Wear and tare 100 bucks?

Still come out ahead I think, and reduce the cost of ownership. Plus, I get something cool and comfortable to drive instead of a Kia Soul or whatever the rental counter hands me.

What would you folks do? Figure on driving 15 to 20 K a year. Some of that is winter, where I will be renting though. I know highway miles are not quite as bad as city miles too. And they're mostly highway.
Yes.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
You have to factor in depreciation and additional insurance costs. Yes, you need to tell your insurance company you use your car for work, not just to and from work. A

I started out as a consultant and rode the mileage train for 8 years using a couple cheap econ-cars. You can make money with an older, reliable, cheap-to-fix/maintain small car. Once I bought my first new car I rented cars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Well, an excellent day for a 4 hour drive through the 'Dacks! Almost no traffic, Twisty, fun roads, (did I mention no traffic? :)) and sunny weather. Here is the beast near the Hudson's headwaters, and some other river...

Glad I took it!
hudson.jpg
river.jpg

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I did what you are doing for a long time. I was hired to do a project in Germany for the company I work for. After 8 years of flying back and fourth, I ended up hating airports. Everything about them irritated me towards the end. I felt like a cow being herded through all the gates, waiting and chewing at the same time as everyone else. Not to mention all the problems that happen when flying. I don't think a scenario that could happen missed me.

When I got to work domestically, I jumped at it. I drove everywhere just because I could. No more problems that are out of my control. Heaven!

I bought a two year old BMW 328xi to drive to my destination. I drove anywhere for work if it was 12 hours away or less. I did get the .55 cents per mile. On a BMW, all the maint is covered up until a certain point. I can't remember where that number is, but I know when I hit it. All the .55 cents a mile didn't come close to covering the up keep cost. It was great while it was on, but once maint is not a freebie or at least a $50 co-pay it got very expensive quick. Tires, brakes.. Normal wear and tear was high. I think I had a lemon. The transmission had to keep getting re-booted. That is the term the service manager used. To fix the shifting, they had to re-boot it and hope it reset the problems. I had to ask where the Cntr-Alt-Del buttons were.

A head gasket blew. Oil went pouring out...

Run flats from continental are not cheap

The final straw was when I turned the A/C on and smoke came pouring out.

Where I am going is that the car, While a really good one, got old fast. It got expensive for me that in the end, using it for business brought its end of life up fast.

Also due to all the highway miles, forget even thinking about keeping the front end free from defects. Stones, stone chips, sand, twigs, branches, surf on the road will be kicked up at you. The front will be pitted. I went through 3 re-sprays of the front end, hood and front fenders. The constructin zones will take their toll on suspension. Everything ages on the car fast.

I would say, if you do not already have it, get a clear wrap around as much of the car as you can. Mirrors... Gat to a pro and go for it.

Now I am in a roll I just go to the office and home. Yeah for me!

After tearing up that BMW, I rented cars near my house and drove them on business trips. Renting from home, I didn't have to get what you get at the airport. I could plan a bit, get a good deal on something interesting to drive for the week or two.

In the end, I would do the local rental and drive myself. Beating on my on cars is not worth it. It is fun in the beginning, but that fades after a bit too. Once you start to see the wear and tear strolling in.

Good Luck to you. Make your decision.

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
My company will not cover my vehicle under their insurance but they will pay my deductible up to 1K if I get in an accident. If your company would do this it would be a bit more feasible.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Sponsored

Mvalenti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
I have on occasion 5-6 times a year, never more than 100 miles in a trip.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I bought mine expecting to drive it 3,000 miles a month including work miles that are paid at $56.5 cents. Happy to do it in preference to driving the company's 02 Ranger or renting a Chrysler Sebring. It's a decent deal. The GT/AT I bought should last forever, relatively. And I get to drive what I want to drive, which matters a great deal to me. Not everyone will make the same decision, and maybe it's not the very smartest financial decision. But buying the darn thing in the first place wasn't the smartest financial decision! Lots of cars are cheaper, get better mileage, depreciate less and so on. Didn't sway any of us, did it?

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I did it for the past 30 years

But you buy a car that is fun to drive and gets good mileage. My GT is not that car. I retired last year and traded in my 2011 Accord. It was bought to do the circuit, from St Petersburg to Jacksonville and St Petersburg to Orlando. I was only getting $.52 per mile but on a Accord there is almost no maintenance aside from tires and fluid changes. Before the Accord I had a used Lincoln MK VIII that was fun. I say if the mileage rate pays for more than gas and you enjoy driving the vehicle then do it. We aren't driving museum material. :thumbsup:

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only if you are delivering pizza's. Half serious. So I saw this thread come up a couple of days ago or whatever it was and wanted to share some of my story. I used to deliver for Domino's back in 1990 or so in my 1979 Capri with a v8, it was a great job for a young guy, well being a boat caretaker would be better I suppose, lol). I used to love the 225 ponies that car put out, and had some fun delivering, never got a ticket in the couple years I did which was amazing. Was always a little leery I'd end up delivering someone I knew wearing that goofy hat and shirt, can't recall if I ever did. But I still remember all the daydreams of how fun it would be to do the delivering in a nice sexy fast car. Now a few decades later just not worth the cut in pay, and now all of a sudden I want to pamper my shiny new car.

Sitting in a little cubicle now has me daydreaming of getting to drive my '16 home after work at night. I think it would be more fun to drive my car 8 hrs a day instead of staring at a monitor.
But I think of the guy who can do it and the fun he'd have.

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Could always try it out.
I own a pizza shop and take the $.56/mile reimbursement

Advice- open a seperate checking acct with a separate debit card. Deposit ALL you make from the mileage into that account and pay for all work gas/insurance/repairs etc from that account. See where you end up in 6 months and reevaluate if it's worth it.

I use a brand new focus for delivering pies, it more than pays for the gas and monthly payment
Sponsored