Sponsored

Would you drive your GT for work? (@55cents/mile)

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I am driving a lot for work - this week alone, 600 miles. My ride is bought and paid for, so I figure I will let the company buy some of it back. Right now gas is cheap, so off I go. $330 bucks.
- $60 gas.
- $24 tires
- $4 oil
- $ yada yada? Wear and tare 100 bucks?

Still come out ahead I think, and reduce the cost of ownership. Plus, I get something cool and comfortable to drive instead of a Kia Soul or whatever the rental counter hands me.

What would you folks do? Figure on driving 15 to 20 K a year. Some of that is winter, where I will be renting though. I know highway miles are not quite as bad as city miles too. And they're mostly highway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you're asking if you should drive... 600 miles... what?
I'm asking if YOU would let your company buy back your car a little at a time?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Highway miles are a lot easier on a car than city miles, assuming there isn't too much rush hour traffic. 55 cents / mile is good enough.

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I drive mine for work. I refer to it as my "airport car".

Sammy Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3 Shadow Black
I also drive mine for work, around 350 miles a week on a mostly non busy I-4 (70mph speed limit but everyone and their moms does 90). It's either this or a beat up '99 camry as I can't afford anything better at the moment. I enjoy the mustang as a daily and will continue to do so for a long time.

Then again, the fact that your car is paid for makes me double think about it.. I've never paid off a car and always trade in at the 3 year mark. I guess I'd definetly alternate with something else in your case.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've never heard of asking your work to pay for tires....but you certainly get about $0.55/mile or whatever it is this year.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never heard of asking your work to pay for tires....but you certainly get about $0.55/mile or whatever it is this year.
I was just tallying up the cost vs. what they pay. The tires are expensive because of that damn line lock!

Sponsored

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
I suppose that it depends upon what your job is (e.g. would you have to carry people, or load and unload crap in and out of your car), but in theory as long as you calculate that the mileage rate reimbursed by your company covers your fuel, maintenance, and insurance costs for the company miles you are driving, hell yes, why not? You get to drive a nice car. I used my own personal car for business back in the day. There was an attractive mileage rate so it was worthwhile.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In my opinion, HELL NO!

About 6 or 7 years ago my boss tried forcing me to do that and I basically told him not a chance as others who went on road service either got a rental or had a company car.

Not to mention my car was also paid off in full and I put very few miles on my cars every year(my 2001 Ford Escape only has 102,000 miles on it) so I wasn't going to rack up the miles on it for some piss poor monetary compensation.

Also, in the event of an accident my company would not use their insurance to cover the damages but rather have the employee use their own to cover damages.

OP
OP
Lost

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion, HELL NO!

About 6 or 7 years ago my boss tried forcing me to do that and I basically told him not a chance as others who went on road service either got a rental or had a company car.

Not to mention my car was also paid off in full and I put very few miles on my cars every year(my 2001 Ford Escape only has 102,000 miles on it) so I wasn't going to rack up the miles on it for some piss poor monetary compensation.

Also, in the event of an accident my company would not use their insurance to cover the damages but rather have the employee use their own to cover damages.
Definitely valid points.

OTOH, I want to drive my car! I figure it's close to a push. The one good thing about a rental is if it breaks, not my problem.

If I drive this thing 100,000 miles for the company, they will have paid me 55K. Now of course at least a 1/3 to 1/2 of that will go to consumables, But it does pay for a large chunk of the car also. Of course company pays for ferries/tolls/etc. In winter months, not even a question, I rent.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Having been an I.T. subcontractor in the past and had to use my car as daily/work, I'm going to say: Don't do it.

In my case, the company I worked for didn't give me jack for fuel, mileage, repairs, etc. So, I was on the hook for all costs and putting 500+ km's on my car per week. After two years of that, I'd rolled up so much mileage, trade-in value on the car was nil.

No sir, don't do it. It might sound like a good idea because you get to drive your personal, fun car for work. But when you consider all the wear and tear that will accrue, it's just not fun anymore.

SkapeGote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1997 f150
I do it now and it pays for almost all my repairs and gas. I only get 45 cents a KM.

Skape
Sponsored