Wiring an extra brake light

Sycostang67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang, 2015 Mustang, 2001 Ram, 2012 Wrangle
I got one of those fancy led reverse/brakes lights for my car. It’s a hyper flash brake light. I wired it up according to the instructions, tapping into the red wire on the driver side tail light harness. The only problem with this is it also causes the brake light to flash with my left turn signal which I find unacceptable. Is there something else I can tap into in the rear of the car that will only send a brake signal or will I have go straight to the pedal?
Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The rear lights are controlled by BCM-B which receives a digital signal from the front BCM to activate the stop lights.

If you want a clean stop signal I recommend you tap into the third stop light up in the ceiling of the car.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I got one of those fancy led reverse/brakes lights for my car. It’s a hyper flash brake light. I wired it up according to the instructions, tapping into the red wire on the driver side tail light harness. The only problem with this is it also causes the brake light to flash with my left turn signal which I find unacceptable. Is there something else I can tap into in the rear of the car that will only send a brake signal or will I have go straight to the pedal?

So when you press the brake pedal, four brake lights will illuminate on the back of your Mustang?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Did you determine the wire to tap into yourself or just go by a set of instructions? I ask because instructions can be wrong due to manufacturers changing wiring colors between model yeats and sometimes trim levels. It's usually best to verify with car specific wiring diagrams and a DVOM before making any changes.

I'm also kinda curious where this 4th brake light is going to be mounted?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sycostang67

Sycostang67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang, 2015 Mustang, 2001 Ram, 2012 Wrangle
So when you press the brake pedal, four brake lights will illuminate on the back of your Mustang?
Yeah, unfortunately I’ve been hit twice in the last couple years along with a huge increase in population which mostly consists of idiots. I’m trying to avoid spending more time in body shops.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/brake-plus-rear-end-collision-deterrent-removal.189826/

This discussion reminded me of a like device and the thread above.

If you'd like an additional brake light (#4), you can continue to pursue that.

If you'd like the third light to flash rapidly, the thread above could help.

For either, the thread above could also highlight access points for power.
That was interesting, I would rather the existing light flash, I’ll look into that.
Did you determine the wire to tap into yourself or just go by a set of instructions? I ask because instructions can be wrong due to manufacturers changing wiring colors between model yeats and sometimes trim levels. It's usually best to verify with car specific wiring diagrams and a DVOM before making any changes.

I'm also kinda curious where this 4th brake light is going to be mounted?
I followed the directions(video)they were working on the same year car as mine so the wire colors were the same. It’s integrated into the reverse light. I would rather have the roof light flash though so I may go that route and put the OEM reverse light back in.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Having been rear-ended several times myself, twice in the Mustang, I wanted to attract more attention when I applied the brake. Plus the 3rd light in the convertible is in the trunk lid so kinda low.
I used the module from Custom Dynamics. It has user selectable flash patterns. Mine is set for 3 quick flashes then goes solid.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O