Sponsored

Will oil separator void my warranty?

2000FormulaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey guys, this may be a dumb question but...

Will the Ford performance oil separator I installed have any chance of voiding my warranty when I bring it in for service?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I am no expert but that won't stop me from giving my opinion. Considering it is a Ford Performance part sold by Ford for our cars, No.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I'm not taking that risk. I remove and install the OEM line whenever I bring it in. I keep it in my trunk spare well. Even if it's from FP, it's still considered aftermarket. I don't want to give them any excuse.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This is a question you should be asking the owner/service manager at whatever dealership you normally go to. Nobody here can tell you for certain what is going to happen when you bring the car in. Best thing you can do is go establish a relationship with them.

As stated your best course of action is to remove any aftermarket parts related to the system being affected when taking the car in for warranty service

Oil separator will not void warranty. Even the owner's manual suggest you to add oil separator on if you drive it hard.
Manual also states all tech/base cars need coolers if you drive them hard. Adding them will void the warranty. Even if the parts are bought from and sold by Ford.

I am no expert but that won't stop me from giving my opinion. Considering it is a Ford Performance part sold by Ford for our cars, No.
The Ford Performance cooling kit voids the warranty. Food for thought...

FHGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nothing to do with the warranty but I believe I read they need to be removed for emissions test or they will fail in most states.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I can't see how the oil separators would contribute to failing emissions. The PCV system remains in place and functional, the separators just allow oil vapors/droplets to be collected.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I can't see how the oil separators would contribute to failing emissions. The EGR system remains in place and functional, the separators just allow oil vapors/droplets to be collected.

The catch can goes into the PCV system not the EGR. The EGR function is performed by the variable cam timing.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Nothing to do with the warranty but I believe I read they need to be removed for emissions test or they will fail in most states.
Oil separators are exempt as per CARB as long as the crankcase system remains closed.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Oil/air separators will improve emissions because the engine will burn less oil.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
There is no way that they can say or even come close to proving that an oil separator would cause any kind of engine damage. In older cars that stuff was just vented into the atmosphere, but EPA and other agencies that are worried about the environment make it so that manufactures have to route those fumes and un-burnt oils back into the air intake to be burnt by the engine. To be honest from what I know and have been told, this isn't a good thing for the engine at all especially in an engine like ours. I would never bother with taking them off for oil changes at the dealership because I know they have no foot to stand on. And it's a PITA and ain't no one got time for that. But seriously, I bought the Ford performance catch cans just to avoid any BS, and most techs rarely if ever see a GT350 or an R. Which means they have no idea. I'd be curious if anyone on here has ever been hassled about having them.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I'm pretty sure I remember a story about Chevy voiding a camaro owner warranty b/c of a catch can... don't have time to google it now... I'd have a hard time believing Ford would void a GT350 warranty for this, but I guess you never know.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Safest way is to just re-install the OEM tube whenever you go in for service. Takes literally a minute for peace of mind.
Sponsored